Turn on thread page Beta

Helppp. Anyone Know How To Parallel Park? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    Hahaha I have been driving on my own for 12 months and still don't know how to parallel park!
    Same here, since i got my own car (also a KA) I have done one parallel park, and i ended up on the kerb... really not much need for it in day to day life i find. Still, practice makes perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Although your instructor has given you good advice for that car, it shows a common problem with instructors who cut corners by only teaching a test requirement in a test car without really teaching how to park in any real-life situation.

Rather than religiously lining up marks and stickers in windows (let's face it, who's going to put stickers and crap all over their own car when they've passed?), learn to judge the angle of the car at these turning points. By all means refer to a fixed part of the car as a guide, but if you're aware that the angle is just too steep or shallow, you know that your steering will need adjustment. It's this awareness of a problem before it develops that makes a learner driver into a good driver.

In your mum's Ka, try the whole manoeuvre back to front. Start parked up by the kerb behind the parked car, then steer out slowly into the side-by-side position noting exactly where you change the steering direction. Then immediately reverse it, changing the steering exactly at these points again to prove that it will slot in. You will need to keep the speed incredibly slow, pausing at each turn point if necessary until you have these rough points in your head. When you find a reference point, try to use corners and edges of the parked car, rather than petrol caps / door handles as these can vary from car to car. Not only that, but the car may be parked the wrong way around sometimes. Try it around a builder's skip and you'll see what I mean.

When you can park confidently around large Volvo estates as well as Minis, whichever way round they're parked, then you've cracked it.

(Original post by T-Star*)
    You don't need to parallel park well in real life.
    Tell that to the traffic warden who tickets you for straddling two spaces. Don't settle for second best; towns are congested enough without muppets who can't park properly.

ReputationRep:
    No and I've been driving for almost 5 years...

ReputationRep:
    I was a bit hacked off during my advanced training when two of the observers tried to teach me methods for parallel parking that only worked in their own cars; although it did show that what works in a Merc estate may not work in a tiny Daihatsu...
    Anyway, line up next to the car in front, reverse slowly and when the middle of your back wheels is past the rear of the car put enough steering on to point the left hand side of your car at a point about a metre (less when you’ve got a bit of practice – more if you’re a bit nervous) in front of the car behind and while reversing slowly (spot a theme here?) straighten the wheels so you’re still pointing in that direction. When the front of you car is past the rear of the car in front and your back outside edge is inside the outer edge of the car behind (or in other words when you’re almost in the space) stick on some right steering to swing the nose in and keep checking your mirrors!
    It can help some people to imagine how this looks from above.
    Basically every system people will tell you is another way of saying this. There will always be a point on any car that you can line up to help know when to turn, but this point will change on every car so you need to find the one that works with your car.
    As you get more confident you can speed up but to start off with keep it “Drive slow, steer fast” (without dry steering ) until you’re happy.
    Practice is the best thing though, and it’s depressing to see the people that can never seem to find a space but gloat of how they never need to parallel park…
    Hope this helps a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    I think its a bit risky to learn 'gimmicky' methods of parrallel parking, most who do I find are the ones that find they struggle most..

My instructor said:

pull level, full lock whilst moving backwards when your morrors go just past level with the car next to you, straighten out when your mirrors are level with their rear wheels, reverse, lock in the other direction (or as much steering as necesary) when the mirrors are level with the bumper of the car, obviously watchtin to see you dnt misjudge it and hit the car..
    Glad I'm not the only person who uses the lock-to-lock method...just with different reference points.

ReputationRep:
    well I spose the advantage of toing two turns etc means you have more to play with if you need where as you dont have that flexibility when at lock.. I tend to just do whatever fits now though, will have to remember what I do next time, even if just outta curiousity lol

ReputationRep:
    oh dear. The fact that you are using markers shows you are a bit rubbish. Learn to park properly. I was taught like that but I made sure to do it without markers and formulae which is just as well because in my test I totally forgot the formula and parked like a normal person would. Just do what feels right and chances are it is right... unless you are ****, in which case its probably wrong

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.