Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are people without many friends more likely to jump into serious relationships? Watch

I was talking to my friends about this the other day. Most of them were saying that they've noticed that the girls they know with no friends (or not many friends) usually get into relationships really quickly, and are more likely to move in with their boyfriends at an earlier stage than most people would, and that girls with more friends are less likely to have an intense relationship so soon and may even prefer being single for longer periods of time. The general consensus was that people without friends are more likely to be bored and lonely and therefore don't like being single and get into serious relationships quicker, whereas people with friends usually have better social lives and things to do and either don't have as much time for serious realtionships, or don't feel the need to have them all the time. What do you think?

By the way, I mean in general. Of course it doesn't apply to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations for stating the obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Generally yes.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never thought about that, but yes, it makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that does make sense

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I believe so.

ReputationRep:
    it's down to the type of personality rather than how many friends a girl has i would say .
    generally speaking people who have less friends (but have a handful of close friends) are the type that are maybe a little more serious about things , would only really date someone if they were intending it to be serious ...? and people with a lot of friends just want to have fun .

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I have a few close friends, and not a mega big social life, but I hate being in a relationship as for me I find that there is way too much out there to experience when single and my life is pretty busy what with studying, working, volunteer work and seeing the few people I do actually trust.

ReputationRep:
    Well with my best friend moving to a different country soon Ive found myself getting closer to a guy I like. So yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this anon?

It's anon because some of the people I mentioned could be reading this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's anon because some of the people I mentioned could be reading this.
    and why would they be bothered? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    Captain obvious here :P

ReputationRep:
    no no no no NO!

IMO relationships give you more problems, you can't focus on improving yourself and what not.

I didn't realise people would think I was stating the obvious. I assumed a lot of people would say I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've noticed this too. Pretty much just go from one long term relationship to another. I find it pretty sad tbh.

Why do you think it's sad? Do you think it means they are really lonely and constantly need attention?

ReputationRep:
    I think that's true. I see couples around but they are never with there friends, just each other.

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of life is to procreate so that's correct

ReputationRep:
    Umm yes, but I think it's more likely that having few friends and settling down early are caused by the same personality, rather than settling down early is caused by having no friends. Not sure if you didn't mean it like that, just wanted to make my thoughts clear

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.