Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So how many of you here have actually got pregnant while being on the pill? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how many people here have ever got pregnant while being on the pill?

ReputationRep:
    not meee, been on it about 4 years!
    im on yasmin which is apparently the most 'versatile', i got told you can miss about 3 and generally still be ok...not that im going to test that theory.

Yup! Though it is unlikely, as you don't ovulate on the pill. (Sorry its anon, don't want people knowing i was pregnant).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yup! Though it is unlikely, as you don't ovulate on the pill. (Sorry its anon, don't want people knowing i was pregnant).
    Not meaning to pry but... did you take it properly? Did you miss any?

(Original post by scott202)
    Not meaning to pry but... did you take it properly? Did you miss any?
    I don't really remember, obviously at the time i wasn't keeping a check on it. I always took it properly, but i might have been sick (Vomiting or diarrhea) which can cause it, i don't remember. I always took it properly though.

ReputationRep:
    Should make a poll for this, as I'm always really curious to see just how many people out there who took the pill the at the same time, every day, without any other drugs or sickness still became pregnant. Might just relieve my worrying a little (even though I use condoms as well).

EDIT: Sorry, but I'm curious enough to do my own poll. Impatient I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend's sister just found out she was pregnant and said she did take it correctly. Nothing is 100%

ReputationRep:
    I always worry that I wouldn't know...
    Because I run three or four packs together (on the personal advice of my GP), if I got pregnant, how would I know? It would be some weeks before I took my break, and that's only a 'withdrawal bleed' anyway (which always confuses me...would you have a withdrawal bleed if you were pregnant?).

I know the obvious thing would be symptoms like feeling sick, sore boobs, etc...but sometimes you hear stories about women who don't realise for ages that they're pregnant.
    It's a wee bit scary!!

I had a miscarriage while on the pill. I took it everyday at the same time, never missed a pill etc. At the end of the day the pill isnt 100% effective so there is always that possibility. I still use the pill as a contraceptive, ive been on it for four years and only that hiccup, thank goodness!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharpesparkle)
    I always worry that I wouldn't know...
    Because I run three or four packs together (on the personal advice of my GP), if I got pregnant, how would I know? It would be some weeks before I took my break, and that's only a 'withdrawal bleed' anyway (which always confuses me...would you have a withdrawal bleed if you were pregnant?).

I know the obvious thing would be symptoms like feeling sick, sore boobs, etc...but sometimes you hear stories about women who don't realise for ages that they're pregnant.
    It's a wee bit scary!!
    Going by the instructions for my pill, it says that if you don't have a period after having 2 separate breaks from the pill then you should go to your GP and take a pregnancy test. So I'd assume that you wouldn't have a withdrawal bleed if you were pregnant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Songeuse)
    Going by the instructions for my pill, it says that if you don't have a period after having 2 separate breaks from the pill then you should go to your GP and take a pregnancy test. So I'd assume that you wouldn't have a withdrawal bleed if you were pregnant?
    Yeah I think you're right. Thanks

I used the pill for 3 years with no problems, and switched between three different types.

Now on implant, here's hoping it's just as good lol.

ReputationRep:
    I havent and have been on microgynen for 3 years.

My mum got pregnant with me while on the pill though but she had been rather ill beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on various pills and things from when I was 16. Had the implant for the past 8 months of so now. Nothings happened. And tbh, is unlikely to happen at the moment either due to my boyfriends chemo a few years ago...

I'm on the pill.

I hate periods so much (even on the pill when they're not so bad euurgh) that I'm gonna be running packs back to back for the foreseeable future. I discussed it with my boyfriend and if I were to get pregnant I'd want to find out as soon as possible and have an early abortion.

However, missing periods altogether makes me wonder how I'd notice if the pill was to fail and I got pregnant. So I decided that I'd buy a pregnancy test every 6 weeks (two pill packets to help me remember) and take that. I did a little research and discovered that the pill shouldn't affect the accuracy of a pregnancy test.

Say I did get pregnant, if I was unlucky with the timing or accuracy of a test, the first pregnancy test I took after getting pregnant could be a false negative, but the second, a full six weeks later would almost certainly pick it up. So that leaves me guessing at the very, very worst - say I get pregnant the day after pregnancy test day and have an unusually slow hormone response or the next test I take fails, the most pregnant I could get before finding out would be 12 weeks - and for me that falls within the time period that I would be morally comfortable having an abortion (horrid as it would still be).

Does this sound like a sensible plan, or have I made some error somewhere? Would it just be easier to have a period every 6 weeks (yes it would but I HATE THEM)? How expensive are pregnancy tests - can I get them for free? Also, do pregnancy tests have a sell by date or could I just order them in bulk and keep in a drawer for however long till I got round to using them?

Is my devious plan actually ill thought out and stupid is what I wanna know?

I did I was on Cilest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the pill.

I hate periods so much (even on the pill when they're not so bad euurgh) that I'm gonna be running packs back to back for the foreseeable future. I discussed it with my boyfriend and if I were to get pregnant I'd want to find out as soon as possible and have an early abortion.

However, missing periods altogether makes me wonder how I'd notice if the pill was to fail and I got pregnant. So I decided that I'd buy a pregnancy test every 6 weeks (two pill packets to help me remember) and take that. I did a little research and discovered that the pill shouldn't affect the accuracy of a pregnancy test.

Say I did get pregnant, if I was unlucky with the timing or accuracy of a test, the first pregnancy test I took after getting pregnant could be a false negative, but the second, a full six weeks later would almost certainly pick it up. So that leaves me guessing at the very, very worst - say I get pregnant the day after pregnancy test day and have an unusually slow hormone response or the next test I take fails, the most pregnant I could get before finding out would be 12 weeks - and for me that falls within the time period that I would be morally comfortable having an abortion (horrid as it would still be).

Does this sound like a sensible plan, or have I made some error somewhere? Would it just be easier to have a period every 6 weeks (yes it would but I HATE THEM)? How expensive are pregnancy tests - can I get them for free? Also, do pregnancy tests have a sell by date or could I just order them in bulk and keep in a drawer for however long till I got round to using them?

Firstly, make sure you talk to your doctor before running packs together like that. For me, my doctor said 3 packs max. You can get cheap pregnancy tests off ebay, which are just a strip, and you can bulk buy them for about £5. You can't get them free unless you go to the doctors, but i doubt they'd be happy checking you every 6 weeks. Otherwise, tests cost about a fiver in shops. I wouldn't suggest running your packs together unless you've spoken to your GP though. And if you don't want to risk getting pregnant on the pill, you condoms too. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the pill.

Get the implant. Majority of people have very little or no bleeding whatsoever. I've been on it since March 2008 and had a period in March and September and have had nothing now since September 2008

(Original post by ladydeborah)
    Firstly, make sure you talk to your doctor before running packs together like that. For me, my doctor said 3 packs max. You can get cheap pregnancy tests off ebay, which are just a strip, and you can bulk buy them for about £5. You can't get them free unless you go to the doctors, but i doubt they'd be happy checking you every 6 weeks. Otherwise, tests cost about a fiver in shops. I wouldn't suggest running your packs together unless you've spoken to your GP though. And if you don't want to risk getting pregnant on the pill, you condoms too. :yep:
    I have talked to my GP about the pill lots dw. There's "no biological reason to have a bleed every month if your uterus lining isn't building up" is what my GP told me. I don't know why your GP would limit you to only three packs, perhaps you're on a different contraceptive pill to me.
    I would much prefer to bulk buy them tbh, as it would be expensive and embarrassing to have to go to the pharmacy continually
    I was just worried in case keeping pregnancy tests in a drawer potentially for ages before using them would affect their being accurate.

Thanks for the help X

(Original post by hbandtr4eva)
    Get the implant. Majority of people have very little or no bleeding whatsoever. I've been on it since March 2008 and had a period in March and September and have had nothing now since September 2008
    Which implant do you have?

I did consider it, and still am considering it - I'm just a little bit cautious because the pill I'm on is giving me no real side effects - in fact I love it. It's improved my skin and made my boobs bigger :eek:

I dislike the inconvenience of having to take the pill everyday - but I'm worried basically about getting an implant, it not being pleasant and then having to have it removed - or having continual bleeding or periods anyway which is something I really want to avoid.

I might just go and ask my GP what he thinks is best :P
    Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.