Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to increase my chest size/strength. (male, lol) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Male, 19yrs, 65kg, Hight 6,2 ft. I want to bulk up, especially on my chest which is a bit far behind (I think- can anyone confirm that from the weights I describe?)

I can do 3x3 sets 10-15 reps as follows:

Bench press 40kg
    Incline bench press 25kg
    Arm curl 30kg (15 each arm)
    triceps machine (don't know what its called) 30kg (15 each arm)
    military press (shoulders) 40kg

How often should I do the bench press/incline and is 3x3 sets 10-15 reps good?

ReputationRep:
    I'd do a bit lower reps and a bit higher weights and do dumbell flies aswell as bench press and incline press.

ReputationRep:
    Flies could help if your working specific chest?

ReputationRep:
    What do you squat and deadlift?

ReputationRep:
    Has no one else spotted his press is the same as his bench? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Well not only that but his incline bench press is almost half as much as his press :/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    What do you squat and deadlift?
    I don't really squat or deadlift.

I use the leg press machine 80kg and the low row machine on 45kg.

(Original post by Brotherhood)
    I can go up to 50 on the bench but not for 3 sets.. So I assume my chest is behind like I thought? It's not for lack of work, might my chest develop more slowly because of genes..? I guess I'll have to focus on chest even more than I already do which is 3 times a week.

ReputationRep:
    70-80% intensity 8-10 reps for power
    ish, it seems to work best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe312)
    I don't really squat or deadlift.

I use the leg press machine 80kg and the low row machine on 45kg.

I can go up to 50 on the bench but not for 3 sets.. So I assume my chest is behind like I thought? It's not for lack of work, might my chest develop more slowly because of genes..? I guess I'll have to focus on chest even more than I already do which is 3 times a week.
    Start squatting and deadlifting, they recruit 75-85% of your muscles in two exercises. This majorly promotoes muscle growth throughout your body. So effectively training your legs will help increase the growth of your upper body aswell.

I wouldn't over train your chest, just make sure you are eating enough and lift as heavy as you can with correct form while allowing it to recover between sessions. I would definitely reccomend doing dumbbell flies as well though as they recruit slightly different areas of your chest rather than just bench pressing 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    I don't belive your numbers..65kg @ 6ft 2 is skin and bones dude, yet id guess my 3 x 10-15 M.press weight would be lower than that!

What's 3 x 3 sets 10-15 reps? you mean 3 x 10-15 right?

Your back and legs exsist, and there are exercises for them too!! :shock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10Trix)
    I don't belive your numbers..65kg @ 6ft 2 is skin and bones dude, yet id guess my 3 x 10-15 M.press weight would be lower than that!

What's 3 x 3 sets 10-15 reps? you mean 3 x 10-15 right?

Your back and legs exsist, and there are exercises for them too!! :shock:
    Yes I mean 3 x 10-15. Well I have no body fat that I can see so I guess that has something to do with my low weight. and yeah, my legs and back aren't as developed as my upper body.

Thanks for the help guys, I will start doing these squats and deadlifts.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed on the weight. Im 65 kilos and 5 ft 11 (Only just grew 2 inches, still havent fleshed out) and Im quite a bit too thin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    I'd do a bit lower reps and a bit higher weights and do dumbell flies aswell as bench press and incline press.
    Usually I would say..."Adonis, get yo a$$ in here!"

But today, this gentleman has it spot on!

Keep the weights up and you will notice changes...:yep:

If you don't believe me, Adonis will confirm this later...:rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    What is your chest size?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to target the pecs and thier size then something like this would suit you well:

Bench Press 3 x 8
    Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 8
    Dips 3 x 8

That is probably all the work you need as a noob, if you throw in some heavy triceps and heavy shoulders on a seperate session they will help as a unit to improve your pressing prowess.

So basically I would recommend a split like this

Squat day - squats and legs

Bench day - Bench press and chest stuff (some limited bicep work)

Deadlift day - deads and back stuff (inc rear delts)

Shoulder day - Military press and triceps

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by 10-15? Is that 10 reps then 15 reps in the same set? Or is it 10 reps or 15 reps, depending how you feel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    Usually I would say..."Adonis, get yo a$$ in here!"
    Why would Adonis be any better than the other fitness regulars? Give me a guy trained by Adonis and a guy trained by Powerlifter and I know who I'd bet on to add mass! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Why would Adonis be any better than the other fitness regulars? Give me a guy trained by Adonis and a guy trained by Powerlifter and I know who I'd bet on to add mass! :p:
    As long as it's not mad ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Yeah, the "inb4 Adonis lol" crap gets on my nerves too.

ReputationRep:
    I dont get why loads of people in other forums think that if it involves a gym, Adonis is the port of call. These people don't know the difference between powerlifting, weightlifting and bodybuilding, and just assume that anyone with a six pack knows what they are doing, no matter what the goal and who the person.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.