Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi.
    I'm starting my GCSEs next term....

i want to read some novels i would be doing next term,, during the holidays so i don't have to rush ...

What did you guys do ???

- i have no idea about this..... so, basically we get to choose a novel and take exam questions about it or something ???

anyway, What novels did you guys do ??~

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have no desire to rake over my English GCSE It makes me feel exceedingly ill. But I studied To Kill A Mockingbird if you simply must know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zactissue)
    hi.

i want to read some novels i would be doing next term,, during the holidays so i don't have to rush ...

What did you guys do ???

- i have no idea about this..... so, basically we get to choose a novel and take exam questions about it or something ???

thanks
    For English Lit AS we did:

God of Small Things and Great Expectations (+ Browning and Tennyson poetry) for the exam.

Hamlet and Hedda Gabler for the coursework.

:yes:

Edit: Didn't realise this was for GCSE. I can't even remember what I did for GCSE...

ReputationRep:
    Oliver Twist, Macbeth and A View from the Bridge.

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Flies, Romeo & Juliet and an Inspector Calls....you can't choose your own novels, so find out which ones your school does before reading anything

ReputationRep:
    Look, you need to ask your teacher. Not only to different schools do different books/poetry, different classes/tiers/sets in those schools do different books from the exam specification. Look up the specification? I'm sure the only ones for schools to choose for the exam are: to kill a mockingbird, lord of the flies, of mice and men and some other one.

It's an entirely different set for coursework, you don't 'pick your own' though.

ReputationRep:
    i did of mice and men and an inspector calls.
    english lit sucks btw

ReputationRep:
    hi.

What did you guys do ???

thanks
    I studied Jekyll & Hyde (Robert Luis Stevenson) and Romeo & Juliet (You always study a Shakespeare play) during year 10 and next year in year 11 my class will be studying The Crucible by Arthur Miller.

ReputationRep:
    We did Of Mice and Men and that was it. I think...

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Flies (for the exammy), and Romeo and Juliet, Jekyll and Hyde and Journey's End for courseworkians

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    Look, you need to ask your teacher. Not only to different schools do different books/poetry, different classes/tiers/sets in those schools do different books from the exam specification. Look up the specification? I'm sure the only ones for schools to choose for the exam are: to kill a mockingbird, lord of the flies, of mice and men and some other one.

It's an entirely different set for coursework, you don't 'pick your own' though.
    The other one is The Catcher In The Rye.. I did that one

ReputationRep:
    Of mice and men, Romeo & Juliet and an Inspector Calls.

ReputationRep:
    I just remembered we also did Twelfth Night and Great Expectations for coursework.

ReputationRep:
    If I had done my English GCSE this year (which I practically did)... anyway I studied A View From The Bridge (mostly analysing the title), Great Expectations, and Lord of The Flies.

But I wasn't good enough to do the test a year early OH NO!

ReputationRep:
    This will vary from school to school. Teachers must choose from a prescribed list of novels for the Literature examination. You will also study either a novel or a collection of short stories for the Prose Study coursework.

For more detailed information, please see here:
    http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/...a_overview.php

This is a link to the specification. It includes a list of the set texts that will be offered until 2010.

I hope this helps

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    hi.

thanks
    The teacher chooses the books, not you.
    I did Macbeth, The Crucible, and for the lit exam To Kill A Mockingbird. I'd really recommend reading To Kill A Mockingbird, its an excellent book.

ReputationRep:
    Of Mice And Men, Oliver Twist, An Inspector Calls, Romeo and Juliet...*shudders*

ReputationRep:
    Of Mice and Men for the Literature exam and a series of short stories for the prose study coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Flies for lit, Macbeth, The Inspector Calls for lang

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.