Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    WJEC are the worst, particularly when you have to take their exams when you don't even live in Wales

ReputationRep:
    They're really awkward, especially for politics.

Plus, they mark everything on computers. All the sheets are scanned in, and sent off to examiners that way, and if an examiner takes too long marking a particular page, then the computer beeps at them and then moves to the next page and won't let them move back.

Well, that's what I've been told by all my teachers, any how.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    WJEC are the worst, particularly when you have to take their exams when you don't even live in Wales
    They're awesome! I think they're the easiest to deal with, although they do seem to concentrate more on exam technique than what you know for a lot of it.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're not AQA!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I have pure concentrated hate for all exam boards..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Why? Apparently lots of people don't like Edexcel, or Edexhell....

Is it because of the structure of exams? The type of questions? The high grade boundaries?

I'm curious to know.
    More bull from im so academic... seriously, although I appreciate you diversifying into the Exams and Qualifications forum for a change, this thread is pointless and should be left to rot. You don't even do GCSEs yet so tbh stop your urge to spam the forum.

ReputationRep:

Is it because of the structure of exams? The type of questions? The high grade boundaries?

I'm curious to know.
    A guy last year had an offer to do History at Cambridge. In his exam he received a low C grade. Had it remarked and it went up to a solid A grade.

Dodgy marking!

ReputationRep:
    They work for the education board and like everyone who works for the education board, they tend to be lazy and workshy.

ReputationRep:
    OCR are worse. Don't complain too much.

ReputationRep:
    edexcel at least (imo) are organised. OCR are terrible for admin. a physics practical paper (evaluative) for AS i sat a couple of weeks ago actually had a mistake in it. it's ridiculous. i'm pretty sure OCR charge more than the others as well. however, their papers are usually laid out nicely, easy to approach, etc.
    though for latin gcse they did ask us something which we weren't required to know! and with latin, it's OCR or nothing! so annoying
    i much prefer edexcel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    They're awesome! I think they're the easiest to deal with, although they do seem to concentrate more on exam technique than what you know for a lot of it.
    But it's impossible to get hold of any past papers, and all the writing in Welsh is annoying, again especially when you're not in Wales

ReputationRep:
    But it's impossible to get hold of any past papers, and all the writing in Welsh is annoying, again especially when you're not in Wales
    The Welsh is annoying, even when you're IN Wales.

Past papers have never been an issue for me, I must say, I've never had a problem getting hold of them :/

ReputationRep:
    yeah i don't think the exam papers on the whole are that bad with the exception of pretty much the old spec physics exams (have you guys seriously done the papers? They are well dodgy! AQA seems much better IMO) and some random unit exams in bio and chem. Maths tended to be on the easier side, but the mechanics papers were a tad bit annoying at times.

Anyway, my point is, apart from a few of the dodgy papers they set (which they sorta compensate for by lowering the boundaries though they should be even more lenient this year), I think its the MARKING thats the problem. Markschemes are riduculously strict and some examiners seem to get their marking a tad dogy at times. Also, the markscheme says they (the examiners) mark in a positive manner so as to reward you for what you've done and not what you've ommited. Are you for real? They never seem to do that with my papers! :lolwut:

All my exams are on Edexcel this year so if you're an examiner who has stumbled upon this thread and you manage to be marking my maths, biology, chemistry or physics papers, please be super lenient; I've got a ridiculous offer to meet for uni. And I promise, if you give me nice grades, I'd come back and edit this post and praise you for being such a super exam board! Deal?
    :p:

EDIT: I got the grades so thought I'd come back to say how lovely Edexcel are. :love: They gave me the As in biology, chemistry and maths which was great as I met my uni offer, but come on 4 marks off an A in physics was really not nice. I know I only needed a C in it, but that was pure teasing! :naughty: I'm going for a remark and if that doesn't move up to an A, you lot are not on my christmas list. You need to get yourselves sorted out a.s.a.p. :p:

ReputationRep:
    yep. I don't like Edexcel but WJEC... I hate WJEC
    (but I like that it's welsh)

ReputationRep:

I'm curious to know.
    Wow! Finally- someone more hated than me :woo:

ReputationRep:
    dunno im doing edexcel i actually find it better than the other boards (i did cie for my gcse's). There is a general consensus among many that edexcel is 'easier' than other boards but that shoud make it more likeable lol.....but dunno why people actually dislike it.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the Edexcel maths was nice this year.

OCR Physics on the other hand...... However OCR Chemistry was really easy. Very odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hawflo)
    :yes: Difficult maths exams.
    :yes: Easy maths exams.

I don't mind them, though the fact that all my easiest exams (Chinese, maths, ICT) seem to be with them is surely no coincidence. :p:

The only gripe I have with them is that they mark exam papers using a computer/scanner. I can understand if they did that for multiple choice questions, but how the hell can you do that for open-ended questions? I don't even know why they mark using technology; do they have the laziest examiners?

ReputationRep:
    they suuuuuuck majorly.
    Their further maths books are hell on a monochromatic EARTH!!
    Their physics exams are like a gibberish russian intergation in an hour!

--> waste of space! get off your high horse edexcel and crash back down to reality! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    for which subjects is this true?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.