The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Advices

Hi!
I'm Greta and I'm starting English Literature and Film Studies in September. As I'm from Venice, I know (and understand) little about how scottish unis work. I'd be really grateful if you helped me resolving some doubts.

1. Do you suggest me booking a room now using internet or should I come to Dundee at the beginning of September, stay in a hostel and look for a room to rent then? I'm not staying in the university halls because rooms are too expensive, so I'd like to share a flat. I'm afraid that when I come in September most of the rooms will be taken and I'd have little choice, but I don't like booking a room on the internet without seeing it.

2. When do I choose the courses I'll attend? And is attending lectures compulsory?

3. Does a theatre group of the university exist?

4. What exactly is Freshers Week?

I hope my questions aren't too many!
Reply 1
Hello!

1. I'd say start looking around now, just to be safe. You don't want September to come and be left stuck, you could try sites like gumtree to look for people looking for a room mate? Could explain your situation and ask for them to send photos and measurements etc.

2. You choose your courses sometime in Fresher's Week. In that week there are introductary lectures for the schools, so you'll be at the School of Humanties. After these lectures you get informed who your adviser is and will be given an appointment time when you go and discuss your courses with your adviser who signs you up for them. I think last year it was also the day you matriculated, can't remember though.
Lecture's aren't compulsory but you're encouraged to go! Tutorial's are compulsory, with English you have an hour a week. Attendence is taken at tutorial's so it's best to go to those!

3. Yep! I believe it is called the Lip Theatre company (Drama group), they'll be at the Fresher's Fayre so I'm sure you'll find more information there :biggrin:

4. Fresher's Week is a mixture of things really! There are loads of events such as the Fresher's Fayre when you can get loads of information about societies and activities and so on. You'll also go to introductary lectures, choose your courses and matriculate. And of course the Union has many themed events such as Beach Party and Headphone Disco etc. It's also a great time to get to know people and make friends who are taking the same subjects as you!

Hope I helped :smile:
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Thanks!
You helped a lot!
I'll start looking for a room in the site you said... I just hope to find a cheap room! :smile:
Hi Greta,

I'm also a EU student (from Germany :biggrin:) and I found a nice cheap room on gumtree. It took a while to find one because many people didn't reply to my emails or the rooms were already taken.... But I'm sure you will be able to find something as long as you keep searching!

Good luck! :smile:
Thanks!
I've found the perfect room, with the perfect flatmates... I just hope they think the same as me and give me that room! :smile:

Also, what do I have to do with my SAAS award? I got the letter, but the university doesn't reply...
sounds good :smile:

well it says on the award notice that we have to show the letter to the university so I guess we will have to take it with us at matriculation!
Reply 6
GretaGarboSuperga
Thanks!
I've found the perfect room, with the perfect flatmates... I just hope they think the same as me and give me that room! :smile:

Also, what do I have to do with my SAAS award? I got the letter, but the university doesn't reply...

At Matriculation bring that along with you, they'll check it and either take it or give it back. Can't remember, terrible memory :p: Also bring some ID along with you, ie passport. Sometimes they check it and sometimes they don't at matriculation but I had mine just incase. They should send you out some leaflets about how matriculation works and what you need to bring to it before hand anyway.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending