Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know I need to do lots of research and come up with a plan but this is something I have wanted to do for a looonnngggg time!!

Any help would be appreciated....still need to work out what it will do!!!

HELP!!!

ReputationRep:
    What kind of business do you wanna start?

ReputationRep:
    An online one e-commerce or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Well to start with you could make your own free webs account. then add a store on there til you get used to selling products and that then maybe making your own website

ReputationRep:
    thanks princess... great idea

ReputationRep:
    its okay.. how i loved doing business studies at school lol

ReputationRep:
    Selling what? You need to get a wholesaler unless it's a ebay type thing and I doubt anyone would want to give their credit card details to a freewebs site lol.

just my thoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clever100)
    Selling what? You need to get a wholesaler unless it's a ebay type thing and I doubt anyone would want to give their credit card details to a freewebs site lol.

just my thoughts
    Could always do it through PayPal.

I'm in the same boat as the OP - want to set up a business next year that I can manage alongside doing a Masters - have had a good idea I think, so will try and get it into motion.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough but would you take that risk or shop on a website more trustworthy?

From my experience, the best thing to do is to get a professional site made no matter what the investment costs are because as people are more worried these days about security, image is everything!

ReputationRep:
    Paypal is great - their business accounts only charge a very small commission as well.

Don't bother with freewebs it's crap. Get someone to design and build you a professional website and host it on whatever domain name you want (as long as it is available).

I can personally reccommend: http://www.streamline.net

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 91SDW)
    An online one e-commerce or something like that.
    Without wanting to sound negative - you'll have to make sure you come up with a strong selling point to convince people to give you business rather than an existing online store. I doubt you'll be able to compete on price at a start-up stage simply due to the economies of scale that large sites like Amazon (for example) can work to - which means finding a product or service that's not yet widely available online and exploiting that.

Presumably you'll need to find some initial funding, to cover site design/hosting, advertising, purchase of initial stock, etc. If this will need to come from an unrelated party (most likely a bank), you'll definitely need a strong business plan (as a formal document) to justify any substantial amount of funding. Also, regardless of whether you need such funds, producing a business plan (with financial forecasts of course, but also considering wider issues such as customer base and suppliers, among others) is an important process, to evaluate the likely success of your plan.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your help! :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.