Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anon or delete...

I have been confused with what has happened to me the past few days, and just thought I needed to relieve myself by typing it out here and hopefully get some helpful responses back too. I'd like to thank you guys in advance for reading and/or helping me out in the process.

So here is my situation; there is this girl that I really like. There's no possible way to explain how much I like her considering the fact that I haven't truely liked anyone in a long while. I met her a couple of weeks ago and we hit it off pretty well. Exchanged AIM screen names, talked on the phone, hung out a lot, all that good stuff. Then one day, she unexpectedly brings up that she thinks I'm really cute, and would go out with me if she wasn't in a relationship. We then talk about how she has relationship problems and how her boyfriend is addicted to games that he wouldn't spend that much time with her. They have broke up many times, but everytime they would break up, the boyfriend would become very depressed and she would feel bad that she hurt him and would go out with him. Oh and she 'loves' him too.

She admitted that she likes me and I also confessed that I liked her too but would back off and help her with her relationship problems. Even when I said I backed off, I still can't help the fact that I really like her and that a little part of me wanted to be with her. I realized that was selfish and felt really ashamed of it. I went to the movies with them one day and they looked just fine with each other. I noticed this and asked her what the problem was. She then told me how her boyfriend's friend gave him the 'man up' talk and how now he's stepping up. At that moment I began to think that there might not be me in the picture anymore...

After a long while of thinking I realized I got to a point where I don't care if I do end up being with her or not. I just want her to be happy with what ever happens because her life isn't as colorful as most people. With this said, I want the two to have a good relationship now because I thought about her boyfriend. If I were in his shoes, I would hate to break up with such a wonderful girl, let alone see her in the arms of a guy that always seems to be hanging out with his girlfriend (possibly me), it's like it would leave a mental scar on me. Her boyfriend isn't the type of guy to get a lot of relationships either too so someone like her comes once in a life time..

There's no doubt that I really like her, perhaps too much. I just want her to be happy, but I can't help the fact that I feel just a tad disappointed, her being in a relationship and all, but I just have to accept that.

I don't know, I have never been so confused and frustrated in my life. Am I on the right track? I apologize if this was too long but I really needed to get it out of me. You guys didn't have to read all of that but if you did, thank you again, much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    You have just conquered girls hearts on TSR now

What you said is extremely thoughtfull and caring, it sounds like any girl would be lucky to have you mate.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No offence but its obvious you like her alot more than she does, otherwise she would break up with her bf for you i was in this situation before (she chose me ) and its hard but i think you need to make a decision you either leave it or go for it, seems like your edging toward leaving it though.. hope i helped in some way...

lol addicted to games..that sounds like me..relationship + games = hard work!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like you are on as 'right' a track as you can be without doing something bad.

From what you've said, you sound like a real gentleman who's done all the right things given the situation. As long as this girl is aware of your feelings for her, (I think she is?) then the ball's in her court as she is the one in the relationship. There really isn't much you can do without undoing all the good things you've done so far. Just make sure she knows the situation you're in, if you can do this without putting pressure.
    But congratulations on being a good guy

ReputationRep:
    First of all, wow your really caring And well yeah i agree with cannyeinstein, your like a true gentleman. And id say yeah your on the right track, i understand why youd be all frustrated, and its good to see you want her to be happy. and your not pushing yourself onto her or anything

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure every girl who read that will happily be your girlfriend

You sound like a good bloke and I think you've made the best decision a person could make in your situation.. I just feel sorry for you that the girl didn't immediately dump him for you.

Only time will tell... good luck?! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I dunno OP do you almost care too much about her... ?

Is it possible to care too much about someone?

BUT I guess, you deserve better, you deserve someone that is going to love you back just as much as you love them

ReputationRep:
    OP seems like a nice guy.

ReputationRep:
    You've done the right thing
    It's nice to see someone with an ounce of moral fibre.

ReputationRep:
    This is quite common and is likely to happen to you again but you are doing the right thing by everyone, and you can do no more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gibb~)
    You have just conquered girls hearts on TSR now
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    You are in a very unfortunate situation. It sounds like the two of you could make a good couple.

But it boils down to the fact that her and the other guy are already a couple. I understand how you feel (and I can relate to such frustration and disappointment) but you should let the two work things out. If the two of you end up getting together now, you'll always feel guilty for killing their relationship.

You should just continue being her friend. Maybe you could tell her not to talk about her boyfriend in front of you considering how you feel. And you never know, if they ever break up (for some other reason) then you can bring this up again, at the appropriate time.

But for now, you should let them be.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.