Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Going to NYC for just over a month and I'd like to be able to use my phone there without having major overseas charges from O2, so I was wondering if the USA has some kind of Pay-as-you-go SIMs or something similar that I can slot in to use.

ReputationRep:
    You can definitely get a pay as you go sim, however you might not be able to take out your old one and use a UK phone. If its on contract it might block other sims, mine did. However you can buy ridiculously cheap pay as you go phones, I think mine cost about $25 and then whack some credit on it. Verizon stores were very helpful and found exactly what I needed.

At Philadelphia Airport they had them in vending machines.

Just go to any Virgin Mobile, AT&T, Verizon or Sprint store and buy one for a few dollars or buy a very, very cheap PAYG phone.

ReputationRep:
    From my own experience they don't really go in for SIM cards which can be removed like we do here - my American friends thought my British phone was amazing because I could take the SIM out whereas theirs were inbuilt. So it is probably easier and cheaper just to buy a cheap mobile - I got mine from Virgin Mobile and it cost $20, and for that I got $22.50 (random!) worth of credit on it when I registered once I'd bought it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.