Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know some of you will probably shoot me for making one of these threads, and it can be deleted after just a litttle advice, please

I'm 5'4 and 8stone, so a BMI of 19.2 apparently. Problem is, and yes it's my fault and I want to do something about it, I'm not at all in shape or fit. I promise not to use the dreaded "T" word in this thread, but if I explain briefly what I want, then maybe some of useful words could be passed my way

What I have = not too chunky, but slightly wobbly thighs and arms; a relatively flat stomach, but my hips protrude a little and my boyf hates it; no stamina, what-so-ever.

What I want = thighs and arms which are the same size, but most defiantely not wobbly, at all; maybe a slightly more defined stomach, something to even it out a little?; generally improve my fitness a little, even if just for the health benefits.

SO, what do I do? I will you to say just do something simple, like swim one day, jog the next and run another...I get the feeling this won't be the case...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If ever an oxymoron of a title

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venom123)
    Haha, well in a thread I saw in this section agees ago, some guy was having a complete rant about how lots of girls are this, so I thought I'd pinch his description!

ReputationRep:
    Go to the gym for a couple of hours a week... doesn't take much... Give it a few months and you should be a lot nearer your ideal.

ReputationRep:
    hey op im the same stats as you so i get where you're coming from.

how about doing weights at the gym to target muscles that need defining?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodie_lee)
    I know some of you will probably shoot me for making one of these threads, and it can be deleted after just a litttle advice, please

I'm 5'4 and 8stone, so a BMI of 19.2 apparently. Problem is, and yes it's my fault and I want to do something about it, I'm not at all in shape or fit. I promise not to use the dreaded "T" word in this thread, but if I explain briefly what I want, then maybe some of useful words could be passed my way

What I have = not too chunky, but slightly wobbly thighs and arms; a relatively flat stomach, but my hips protrude a little and my boyf hates it; no stamina, what-so-ever.

What I want = thighs and arms which are the same size, but most defiantely not wobbly, at all; maybe a slightly more defined stomach, something to even it out a little?; generally improve my fitness a little, even if just for the health benefits.

SO, what do I do? I will you to say just do something simple, like swim one day, jog the next and run another...I get the feeling this won't be the case...:rolleyes:
    I'm exactly the same inc measurements, so i'm actually posting to subscribe :ninja:

ReputationRep:

??? are you mad? you want bulging biceps?

ReputationRep:

Ohh, I'm the same ^^

ReputationRep:
    Finally the rant has worked, action is being taken

ReputationRep:
    I started running up and down my stairs and went down a dress size but I stopped doing that as I wasn't enjoying it. But now I go running everyday. My body looks so much better now, it's just more toned and stuff. You just need to get yourself into a routine. Trust me, I used to hate excercise but now I enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    My BMI is like 19 aswell although I'm 5'1 and 7 stone. Even though I look slim in certain places I think my thighs and stomach is so out of proportion to the rest of me so I get what you mean. I think really doing some cardio to tone up is the only answer because loosing weight isn't necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it doesn't seem to healthy to have your thighs and arms the same size. But, to tone up a bit, I'd recommend resistance training. For your stomach, you can do crunches and leg lifts, maybe press-ups for your arms, and squats and lunges for your legs. Do the exercises no more than every other day, and it should take around a month to see results. You definitely don't need to lose weight though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)
    ??? are you mad? you want bulging biceps?
    Haha, same size as they are now, silly, now as one another :rolleyes: :p:

(Original post by bananacake14)
    But now I go running everyday. My body looks so much better now, it's just more toned and stuff. You just need to get yourself into a routine. Trust me, I used to hate excercise but now I enjoy it.
    Yeah, I start off with good intentions but I get distracted for a few days and then give up!

(Original post by setmefree)
    I think really doing some cardio to tone up is the only answer because loosing weight isn't necessary.
    No, you're right, I don't need to lose any weight. I do just want to do a bit of cardio here and there I think, often on here people give these ridiculously long and detailed exercise routines, and I just know I won't stick to them!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I start off with good intentions but I get distracted for a few days and then give up!
    Nobody can help you until you sort out this problem. You either want it or you don't.

ReputationRep:
    whats the "t" word?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venom123)
    Not really. Skinny and overweight would be, but you can be skinny and have excess bodyfat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setmefree)
    I think really doing some cardio to tone up is the only answer because loosing weight isn't necessary.
    Cardio wont nessesseraly make you toned. there has to be muscle there for the tonation to appear, low weight high rep would be far more ideal.

I would suggest swimming, you'd be amazed the effect it can have if you do it properly, keeping your body as straight as possible, breathing correctly, and doing a good distance (not crawling along breaststroke for 100 metres then stopping for a 10 min chat like some people do in the pool). the water offers great resistance for muscle toning and energy requirement to imrpove your stamina.

also just do a small routine at home, some press ups, situps, squats, then bring in some more weight with dumbells (or cans of beans) after a few weeks - a couple of months i think you'd be pleasently suprised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    Nobody can help you until you sort out this problem. You either want it or you don't.
    I do, but it's a case of not being bothered to go the the gym when I've been at work all day, I'd rather be able to do something at home/something I enjoy.

Swimming would probably be a good thing, as my mum would come along too so that would be incentive to get off my bum and out of the house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    whats the "t" word?
    "Tone". Mucho disagreement and debate over what it means/what people expect from it, etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    I do, but it's a case of not being bothered to go the the gym when I've been at work all day, I'd rather be able to do something at home/something I enjoy.
    I'd rather be able to eat what I could and not gain weight, but that's life.

I don't mean to be 'aggressive' but if your asking for advice you should be committed to the cause. Maybe it's because your mindset is set to 'just a little loss' that your not feeling motivated. Maybe you feel pressured into exercise by those around you. Plenty of people go to the gym before work and plenty go after work, so don't make an excuse.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.