Turn on thread page Beta

Skinny "fat" girl watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)
    ??? are you mad? you want bulging biceps?
    LOL dont be silly, she means the same size as they are at the moment, but less wobbly, not the same size as each other :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    whats the "t" word?
    Toned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clever100)
    Not at all, high weight, low reps if she wants to bulk up, the low weight, high reps shows deifnition and tone.

Not hating on your advice but being a gym freak for 3-4 years, i know most things lol.
    Common myth.

ReputationRep:
    you look stunning in your avatar and i wish i had stats similar to yours

don't take your bfs crit too seriously...it does sound a bit too specific maybe...i dunno as i'm posting to answer your initlal question ultimately so....

my answer is swimming...it's good for toning you up and it makes you feel generally fitter afterwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clever100)
    Not at all, high weight, low reps if she wants to bulk up, the low weight, high reps shows deifnition and tone.

Not hating on your advice but being a gym freak for 3-4 years, i know most things lol.
    **** YOU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurakate1988)
    you look stunning in your avatar and i wish i had stats similar to yours

don't take your bfs crit too seriously...it does sound a bit too specific maybe...i dunno as i'm posting to answer your initlal question ultimately so....

my answer is swimming...it's good for toning you up and it makes you feel generally fitter afterwards
    lol this isn't pokemon

ReputationRep:
    Is it wrong that i chuckled at 'horn attack'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)
    lol this isn't pokemon

hehe fair play lol

ReputationRep:
    yoga to tone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodie_lee)
    I know some of you will probably shoot me for making one of these threads, and it can be deleted after just a litttle advice, please

I'm 5'4 and 8stone, so a BMI of 19.2 apparently. Problem is, and yes it's my fault and I want to do something about it, I'm not at all in shape or fit. I promise not to use the dreaded "T" word in this thread, but if I explain briefly what I want, then maybe some of useful words could be passed my way

What I have = not too chunky, but slightly wobbly thighs and arms; a relatively flat stomach, but my hips protrude a little and my boyf hates it; no stamina, what-so-ever.

What I want = thighs and arms which are the same size, but most defiantely not wobbly, at all; maybe a slightly more defined stomach, something to even it out a little?; generally improve my fitness a little, even if just for the health benefits.

SO, what do I do? I will you to say just do something simple, like swim one day, jog the next and run another...I get the feeling this won't be the case...:rolleyes:
    Free weights. In your own home. A couple from Argos. And no 2lb weights will not do anything. The myths about women and weights depress me beyond belief. It's exactly what you need.
    Give this a quick read. I love this website: http://www.stumptuous.com/lies-in-the-gym

I use the term skinny fat all the time - it's fairly uncontroversial that a lot of thin women have a high percentage of body fat. Not my favourite look.

ReputationRep:
    /Sigh at this thread.

Toning = Myth

Using low weights a million times = Myth

IF you have excess body fat or a high body fat %, the only way you can get rid of fat is by burning more calories than you take in.

IF you want to increase the amount of muscle size/strength/definition whatever you want to call if, then you can use resistance training. This means actually using weights that you can perform exercises correctly but that during the last few reps, hurt like hell.

If you want, you can do both at the same time. But i'd personally suggest, burn a bit of body fat and then add a bit of muscle. But overall considering what you look like and your stats. To be honest you probably just need to do some decent regular exercise, like swimming. Which means you're burning calories and working most of the muscles in your body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    /Sigh at this thread.

IF you have excess body fat or a high body fat %, the only way you can get rid of fat is by burning more calories than you take in.

IF you want to increase the amount of muscle size/strength/definition whatever you want to call if, then you can use resistance training. This means actually using weights that you can perform exercises correctly but that during the last few reps, hurt like hell.

If you want, you can do both at the same time. But i'd personally suggest, burn a bit of body fat and then add a bit of muscle. But overall considering what you look like and your stats. To be honest you probably just need to do some decent regular exercise, like swimming. Which means you're burning calories and working most of the muscles in your body.
    It seems to have developed into a bit of an argument since I last looked! :rolleyes:

To be honest, I don't really think I have that high % of body fat, according to those scales which apparently tell you (no idea how accurat they are) I'm about 20% I think?

Considering what everyone has said, and to echo my thoughts from yesterday, I do think swimming/cycling etc. would probably be all I'd really need and some weights if I wanted. I'll be the first to say, I don't think I'm hideous as I am, nor do I want to become this majorly defined looking person, I just want subtle changes, a bit firmer here and there :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Why not do your normal stuff then a weight session once a week? It'll get you those changes and 'firmness' much quicker than anything else. 20% is about average for a guy I think (Though the averages are a wee bit useless nowa days, what with 40 odd % of the population being overweight or obese)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    The only way to lose weight (well, when fluctuations in the amount of water you're retaining are ignored) is to consume fewer calories than you use, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to lose fat. Of course losing fat is easier if you're losing overall mass but there's no reason you can't stay the same weight whilst losing fat and gaining muscle.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.