Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vision Detioration doing Weights Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I was doing weights for the second time since holiday, nothing major, 2x24kg dumbells bench press. Didnt drink heavy on holiday,only one week away

I sat up and my vision went funny

My periphery was clear, but my point of focus was all white and speckly, to the point I couldn’t make out what I was looking at ( my face in the mirror for example ). This persisted for quite some time it felt like that.

I had a coffee two hours before…but apart from that I cant explain it. First time ever!

ReputationRep:
    meh.

ReputationRep:
    probably just dehydrated you should make sure you drink a lot of water.

ReputationRep:
    @Smedif you dont know, dont post you tard

Thanks Shuky, I had been drinking water all morning. I was sweating like a pig tho. I doubt thats it

ReputationRep:
    Change in blood pressure brahhhh

ReputationRep:
    is that serious? I dont need problems with BP, got mad family history of heart attacks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah your blood pressure drops in your head from prone to verticle, which will be even more amplified considering your BP increases when lifting weights.

I actually collapsed once from clean and pressing due to breathing too heavily and BP rofl.

ReputationRep:
    Orthostatic hypotension

ReputationRep:
    cool , will do some research. ty

ReputationRep:
    My vision would go if I looked at your face too

ReputationRep:
    Get it checked out by the GP just incase if your really worried. If it don't bother you then don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    if it keeps happening I will. Maybe caffeine + stress with exam results last Friday + week off just tipped it over the edge

ReputationRep:
    did you sit up quickly? you sure it wasn't a headrush? I get them all the time...nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Too much wrist exercise?

ReputationRep:
    nope didnt sit up too quickly. this wasnt a headrush, it was a sustained visual problem. anyone ever had a migraine? where you see white speckles sometimes? like that but focused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capitalP)
    @Smedif you dont know, dont post you tard

Thanks Shuky, I had been drinking water all morning. I was sweating like a pig tho. I doubt thats it
    In case you haven't gathered it from the rest of the posts here capitalPussy, my initial comment implies that it's no big ******* deal. You were doing some hard work whilst lying down, and then you stood up; these things happen.

ReputationRep:
    *Cough* Orthostatic hypotension - Nothing dangerous or out of the ordinary.

ReputationRep:
    it doesnt normally happen though and its *not* a head rush. Its a sustained visual problem, really weird!! so fck off back to your hole Smedtard

regardless, going again today and gonna try some 28s as im working my way back up, see if it happens again.

its amazing how one week off affects your progress

ReputationRep:
    Exactly!

At the very worst (which still isn't that bad):

Valsalva retinopathy

A pathologic syndrome associated with the Valsalva maneuver is Valsalva retinopathy.[13] It presents as preretinal hemorrhage (bleeding in front of the retina) in people with a history of transient increase in the intrathoracic pressure. The bleeding may be associated with a history of heavy lifting, a forceful coughing, straining on the toilet, or vomiting. The bleeding may cause a reduction of vision if it obstructs the visual axis. Patients may also note floaters in their vision. Usually a full recovery of vision is made.

ReputationRep:
    straining on the toilet!! guilty as charged. lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.