Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vision Detioration doing Weights Watch

ReputationRep:
    I recommend GOMAD; that will take care of the straining issue in a hurry.

ReputationRep:
    nah too much dairy is bad for you imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capitalP)
    nah too much dairy is bad for you imo
    It may be bad for you, but not for me. Not everyone can handle it. To be honest, if I was lactose intolerant, I think I'd kill myself. Not that I do GOMAD anymore.

ReputationRep:
    and you are somehow physiologically different to homo sapiens? perhaps you are an ape?

too much dairy = bad

ReputationRep:
    and you are somehow physiologically different to homo sapiens? perhaps you are an ape?

too much dairy = bad
    Enlighten me.

I ran GOMAD for about a month or so. I gained about 8kg in bodyweight without a drastic increase in fat. And my squat 5RM went up by about 25kg, and my deadlift 5RM went up by about 40kg. I'm not lactose intolerant so I had no issues there.

I'm still al... wait let me check... yeah, I'm still alive.

Why is it bad? Has anyone ever died from GOMAD? Has anyone ever lost weight and gotten weaker on GOMAD? Are you terrified of body fat?

ReputationRep:
    I wasnt just talking about GOMAD, or a month long binge.

too much dairy is bad for you.

ReputationRep:
    "Too much" IS, by definition "bad for you". Well done on this profound observation.

Next you'll start saying something crazy like "too much" masturbation is "bad for you."

ReputationRep:
    Now Im interested, how is a GOMAD bad for you? Not that I can drink a gallon a day, more like 1/4 but still.

ReputationRep:
    if its so profound why did you keep missing it?

humans arent built to process dairy properley in the first place. the more you have, the worse it gets over time.

ReputationRep:
    if its so profound why did you keep missing it?

humans arent built to process dairy properley in the first place. the more you have, the worse it gets over time.
    Is this what I'm supposed to be missing?

If so:

ReputationRep:
    Humans arent built to process dairy propley? Then why are babies brought up on milk lol

ReputationRep:
    nope didnt sit up too quickly. this wasnt a headrush, it was a sustained visual problem. anyone ever had a migraine? where you see white speckles sometimes? like that but focused
    I've had that a few times. Its kind of trippy. You see extremely tiny, well resolved bright particles whizzing around in your peripheral vision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barton1)
    Humans arent built to process dairy propley? Then why are babies brought up on milk lol
    mothers milk != cow milk

if you dont know that then you are silly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Exactly!

At the very worst (which still isn't that bad):

Valsalva retinopathy

A pathologic syndrome associated with the Valsalva maneuver is Valsalva retinopathy.[13] It presents as preretinal hemorrhage (bleeding in front of the retina) in people with a history of transient increase in the intrathoracic pressure. The bleeding may be associated with a history of heavy lifting, a forceful coughing, straining on the toilet, or vomiting. The bleeding may cause a reduction of vision if it obstructs the visual axis. Patients may also note floaters in their vision. Usually a full recovery of vision is made.
    Nah he'd've had a bloodshot eye.

The valsalva maneuver is "apparently" what could have killed Elvis - it's also used to "reset" the Aortic pressure or something like that. Dangerous stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Nah he'd've had a bloodshot eye.

The valsalva maneuver is "apparently" what could have killed Elvis - it's also used to "reset" the Aortic pressure or something like that. Dangerous stuff.
    The Valsalva manoeuvre isn't dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    The Valsalva manoeuvre isn't dangerous.
    When you've seen it done on an 82year old man with a pacemaker after an operation and he's gone into Cardiac Arrest, yes it it.

ReputationRep:
    mothers milk != cow milk

if you dont know that then you are silly
    The differences between them are.... Their still water with fats, proteins and calcium suspended in it surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    When you've seen it done on an 82year old man with a pacemaker after an operation and he's gone into Cardiac Arrest, yes it it.
    It's also dangerous if you have an aneurysm, but most people don't.

Anyway, here's an 82 year old man deadlifting 190kg and benchpressing 145kg:

I guarantee you he used the Valsalva manoeuvre during those lifts, and he has done for his entire lifting lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    So I was doing weights for the second time since holiday, nothing major, 2x24kg dumbells bench press. Didnt drink heavy on holiday,only one week away

I sat up and my vision went funny

My periphery was clear, but my point of focus was all white and speckly, to the point I couldn’t make out what I was looking at ( my face in the mirror for example ). This persisted for quite some time it felt like that.

I had a coffee two hours before…but apart from that I cant explain it. First time ever!
    This happened to me once after a super intense circuit. I then staggered outside and could barely see, and the light (it wasn't a sunny day) was blinding. I nearly fainted, and several times before that I'd been sick.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point of neg repping? Honestly. I hope you feel better; either way the Valsalva is not dangerous. Billions of people have used it and have had for thousands and thousands and thousands of years.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.