Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Typical girl, speaking before she thinks :awesome:

:console: Don't worry, we all make mistakes

But still, should people have different rights depending on their different characteristics? Should a cripple be killed and a genius encouraged to have children? This is bordering on eugenics :woo:

I mean you didn't suggest any of that, but it's the implication one gets when suggesting people should have different rights based on their individuality.
    don't be so condescending! :p:

i know exactly what i mean, i just don't know how to articulate it.
    every so often i come up with a proper amazing sentence though..

there has obviously got to be some sensitivity with this subject, but i don't think it's right when people get given a job just because the employer feels sorry for their disability. it's not fair to the person with the disability either.

ReputationRep:
    Women don't have more rights than men but the civil courts do lean heavily in the favour of the claims of women.

They may have it slightly easier in society as a whole, but that is not to say that every woman benefits greatly. And after such a long period of inequality and repression, let's all just let it slide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheButtylicious)
    In every way virtually possible. There is no need for men now what so ever - so we done?

(I'm currently hating men at the moment. I'll be over it by tomorrow)
    If I were to hate women (at the moment) I would be considered a misogynist! Why are you hating (all) men - did they do something nasty to you?

What it looks like you're saying is that you don't need men at all to function in your life - you're probably correct.

Assuming test-tube babies are viable and a woman donates her eggs, the only specific 'female' function there is is 'breastfeeding' which is again replaced by bottle-milk.

I work with women in the workplace and have female colleagues but don't view people as 'male' or 'female' but just as colleagues. Were they to all have sex changes tomorrow I couldn't care less.

Likewise, I don't think there's anything for which I SPECIFICALLY need a woman for in my life - wouldn't you agree?

squish.

(Original post by Farmboy_Pip)
    don't be so condescending! :p:

i know exactly what i mean, i just don't know how to articulate it.
    every so often i come up with a proper amazing sentence though..

there has obviously got to be some sensitivity with this subject, but i don't think it's right when people get given a job just because the employer feels sorry for their disability. it's not fair to the person with the disability either.
    I was being sarcastic I'm only condescending to stupid people and you aren't stupid LOLOLOL111!!!111oneone!!1!11two! "22!!

Ah fair enough

Well, when they do that it's because the person has achieved so much regardless of their disability, so even though on paper they aren't the best candidates, they are likely to have far more character, integrity and talent than someone who's had it easy and life and achieved the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    Recently i ahve noticed many feminist based thread on TSR. What is curious is that in the replys from many of the men in these threads they claim that women actually have it easier than men and have more rights.

Obviously no one can deny that the civil courts are biased to women, that education favours women, that women earn more than men up until 30 (when many women start having babies)....

So is there any truth in the belief that women these days have it easier than men and have more rights.....

Discuss...
    1. Please give me an example of an area in British law where women are unfairly given more rights than men.

2. Please give me an example of how the civil courts are biased towards women.

3. Men actually earn around 13% more than women IN THE SAME JOB - in the South, this is more like 17%. It is FACT that women earn less than men, even when doing exactly the same thing.

4. Women do not have it easier. Let's not categorise and generalise just based on gender - different people have different struggles in life. But there are certainly some things that a lot of Western women have to put up with, e.g. discrimination based on physical appearance, being treated like a piece of meat, being accosted in the street daily by perverts, etc, etc.

ReputationRep:
    The pendulum still definitely swings in favour of men. It is still true that only a small minority of women reach the most senior positions.

I read an interesting report recently by a think-tank. It basically looked at newspaper reports and editorials of politicians. The newspapers were a LOT more critical of the women than the men, and something like 50% of the reports implied that gender had something to do with it; often criticising women of being too emotional. And, of course, if a women deliberately tries to avoid that by appearing as rational as possible, as Hillary Clinton attempted to do, then they get criticised for it and called a "Ice Queen".

You can also see it on TSR. If a women says something negative about men, she gets brutally flamed. If a guy says something bad about women, he doesn't get flamed nearly so much. People still feel the need to stereotype people rather than taking them for who they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)

Assuming test-tube babies are viable and a woman donates her eggs, the only specific 'female' function there is is 'breastfeeding' which is again replaced by bottle-milk.
    you have to have a woman to donate the eggs.. sperm can be made without a man.. therefore men can be eradicated for good

although life would be incredibly **** if this happened.

ReputationRep:
    If I were to hate women (at the moment) I would be considered a misogynist! Why are you hating (all) men - did they do something nasty to you?

What it looks like you're saying is that you don't need men at all to function in your life - you're probably correct.

I work with women in the workplace and have female colleagues but don't view people as 'male' or 'female' but just as colleagues. Were they to all have sex changes tomorrow I couldn't care less.

Likewise, I don't think there's anything for which I SPECIFICALLY need a woman for in my life - wouldn't you agree?

squish.
    It's wayy to early in the day for me to be able to function (i.e. read your post) properly...

I've had an issue with a large proportion of the men in my life. Like I said, I'll be over it.

And one word. Sex.

What the hell is 'squish' there for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farmboy_Pip)
    you have to have a woman to donate the eggs.. sperm can be made without a man.. therefore men can be eradicated for good
    That's what I meant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Women don't have more rights than men but the civil courts do lean heavily in the favour of the claims of women.
    ??? Please do explain. We have only one female member of the House of Lords - the first one in fact. If anything, it seems to me to be the other way around.

(Original post by zKlown)
    Women have more rights defo yeah, the big one for me is rape, I mean a guy and a girl can have sex, and all the women has to do is turn round at the end and say I didn't consent for that, and it's the man's word against hers.
    No. It has to be proved beyond reasonable doubt that the woman did not consent. This is extremely difficult to do: rape has extremely low prosecution and conviction rates. Even in a case where the woman slipped in and out of consciousness and couldn't remember anything because she was drunk, the guy said she said yes and didn't get convicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasharox)
    1. Please give me an example of an area in British law where women are unfairly given more rights than men.

2. Please give me an example of how the civil courts are biased towards women.

3. Men actually earn around 13% more than women IN THE SAME JOB - in the South, this is more like 17%. It is FACT that women earn less than men, even when doing exactly the same thing.

4. Women do not have it easier. Let's not categorise and generalise just based on gender - different people have different struggles in life. But there are certainly some things that a lot of Western women have to put up with, e.g. discrimination based on physical appearance, being treated like a piece of meat, being accosted in the street daily by perverts, etc, etc.
    1. Women get custody of children far more than is fair. They can also abort a child, whereas men cannot say they don't want any liability for the child before birth.

2. Civil law does not require the same burden of proof, so women can say whatever they like about men, when it is your word against theirs they will generally be believed.

3. There are reasons why women are paid less. If they worked the same hours, travelled as much, worked in the same amount of danger, and didn't take maternity leave, then they would be paid 127% of a what a man would for the same job.

4. Awww, life is hard. Men on the other hand get conscripted, violence against them is taken less seriously, get their children taken away whilst having to pay for them, get longer prison sentences for the same crime, pay higher insurance premiums, have higher suicide rates, don't have their health concerns adressed (compare prostate cancer with breast cancer), have higher physical entrance exams for things, get placed on the front lines, and get discriminated against in education.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the gender glass ceiling isn't about gender, it's about childbirth?
    A woman is less valuable to a company as an executive because statistically she's more likely to desert her career in favour of her children.

Also queen bee syndrome is alive and well, wasn't Magaret Thatcher's cabinet entirely male? Male politicians such as Blair and Brown make pacts to get each other into power, female politicians are lone wolves.

(Original post by jacketpotato)
    No. It has to be proved beyond reasonable doubt that the woman did not consent.
    I don't think that's entirely true. The sex is considered an assault until consent can be proven. That's why some judges have semi-seriously advocated sex contracts and candid tape recordings of the...consent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheButtylicious)
    It's wayy to early in the day for me to be able to function (i.e. read your post) properly...

I've had an issue with a large proportion of the men in my life. Like I said, I'll be over it.

And one word. Sex.
    I'm sorry to hear about problems with men in your life.

Why is it too early in the day - it's nearly 5pm?

Many women advance the argument that men NEED women for sex - again sex is NOT something you NEED although people may like it. Sex can easily be simulated (for men) using a hand/fleshlight/doll.

Again, I can't speak for all men but I have never needed a woman for sexo in all my 20 years so it obviously is not a necessity.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Women have some extra rights - maternity based ones!

Do women have it easier? No, I don't think so.

I do think that child related leave (after say 3 months for physical recovery) should be divisible between both parents...I also think that the host of extra child related rights that parents get wrt holidays and leave are an insult to the rest of the employees (irrespective of gender).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKC)
    I don't think that's entirely true. The sex is considered an assault until consent can be proven. That's why some judges have semi-seriously advocated sex contracts and candid tape recordings of the...consent.
    That's not true - the prosecution has to prove that the accused had no reasonable belief in consent before you get anywhere. Its for the prosecution to prove a lack of consent, not the other way round - the defendant doesn't have to prove anything.

Spoiler:
    Show

Sexual Offences Act 2003

Part 1

Sexual Offences

Rape

1 Rape (1) A person (A) commits an offence if—
    (a) he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person (B) with his penis,
    (b) B does not consent to the penetration, and
    (c) A does not reasonably believe that B consents.
    (2) Whether a belief is reasonable is to be determined having regard to all the circumstances, including any steps A has taken to ascertain whether B consents.
    (3) Sections 75 and 76 apply to an offence under this section.
    (4) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for life.

ReputationRep:
    The pendulum still definitely swings in favour of men. It is still true that only a small minority of women reach the most senior positions.

I read an interesting report recently by a think-tank. It basically looked at newspaper reports and editorials of politicians. The newspapers were a LOT more critical of the women than the men, and something like 50% of the reports implied that gender had something to do with it; often criticising women of being too emotional. And, of course, if a women deliberately tries to avoid that by appearing as rational as possible, as Hillary Clinton attempted to do, then they get criticised for it and called a "Ice Queen".

You can also see it on TSR. If a women says something negative about men, she gets brutally flamed. If a guy says something bad about women, he doesn't get flamed nearly so much. People still feel the need to stereotype people rather than taking them for who they are.
    This is very true :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear about problems with men in your life.

Why is it too early in the day - it's nearly 5pm?

Many women advance the argument that men NEED women for sex - again sex is NOT something you NEED although people may like it. Sex can easily be simulated (for men) using a hand/fleshlight/doll.

Again, I can't speak for all men but I have never needed a woman for sexo in all my 20 years so it obviously is not a necessity.

squish.
    She could be in the USA at the moment...

ReputationRep:

squish.
    Wtf, btw?

ReputationRep:
    Men should be men and women should be women. Alas, these days some men have become as women as well as some women have become as men. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That's not true - the prosecution has to prove that the accused had no reasonable belief in consent before you get anywhere. Its for the prosecution to prove a lack of consent, not the other way round - the defendant doesn't have to prove anything.
    Oh right, didn't realise it was as clear cut as that :pinch:.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.