Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    .. your ignorant rant is obviously for attention and i'm pretty sure you don't believe and/or don't understand what you're on about.

well done..

ReputationRep:
    we have larger brains, men that is. (we actually do, on average)

ReputationRep:
    well i would say many comebacks to your arguement but they have already been said.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is just going to become a :troll: thread, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Conclusive proof: in a recent sample taken of The Beatles, fewer than 1 in 4 were women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Mad)
    You think these average fools are GREAT MUSICAL GENIUS?
    HAHAHAHAAH
    He has a point!
    =D

I think it's a man's world, and what we deem as 'great' is from a man's point of view. Woman have got their own stuff, it just doesn't translate.

Of course, it's not completely a man's world, so you have your Angela Carters and (some would say) Plaths. Looking at the past, the 'greats' are men, yes, but you have to look at the context in which they were writing or otherwise making. The standard view was, well, yours, for a very, very long time, and it denied women things like education - women's potential for brilliance is obvious in Jane Austen, the sort of woman who was educated. Some people I know would consider education (or rather, prizing the intellect) as societal ingraining by men - it is often said that men think and women feel, no? Perhaps if women were the dominant sex, we would live a life completely devoted to the senses.

Everything in context, OP.

ReputationRep:
    Eh? Joni Mitchell, Eva Cassidy...

ReputationRep:
    ahah you're so ignorant. I'm not even gonna bother

(Original post by Indeed.)
    This thread is just going to become a :troll: thread, isn't it?
    Yep, check out his rape convictions thread in H&R

Definite troll. Appears to be suffering from GIVEMEATTENTION-itis
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Jacqueline du Pré was pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    My my my, someone didn't get an education in Music of the 20th century, did they?

Yes, before women became liberated and found they actually had a voice and could do something with it, most of the composers and virtuosos were male - Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Modest Mussorgsky...all penis-bound and writers of tunes that almost everyone could hum if you started them off (cause if I asked you to hum Night on a Bare Mountain, you'd probably struggle...I know I would...)

ANYWAY, women may not have been 'greats' back in the day (due to difference in society where a woman's role was to be at home and wait for her husband to come home, provide him with food, take a swift beating, cleanse the house, take another beating, and then rigid Protestant or Catholic vanilla sex just so that there could be some kids to keep the family name alive...), BUT - women have become greats over the last century.

You say there are no greats in Soul or RnB. I beg to differ. Look at Martha and the Vandellas, Aretha Franklin, Ella Fitzgerald...the whole of Motown was split between good male artists and stellar female artists.
    Then take the women of the 60s and 70s. Janis Joplin, for ****'s sake; Patti Smith, Joan Baez, Grace Slick (of Jefferson Airplane). You can come out into the 80s and early 90s, and the women might not be your cup of tea - Suzi Quattro, Cyndi Lauper, Siouxsie Sioux, the group L7, Hole (of which both ends of the spectrum came into being through Courtney Love and Melissa auf der Maur). I can keep going, if you'd like...I can go on into Charlotte Hatherley, and Neko Case; I can go on until I hit Regina Spektor, if you'd like...

But, here's the real clincher which will seal the deal on this argument:

Music is subjective. Music is what the people make of it. I find The Shaggs to be a good band, and can't help but smile at the naivety in "My Pal's Name is Foot-Foot", but you might think it's dissonance (which it is). I like the sound of Satomi Matsuzaki (of Deerhoof), I like the wails of Kazu Makino (of Blonde Redhead); I find Angela Gossow (of Arch Enemy) to have an extremely sexy growl on her; I am partial to a bit of Ella, I like a bit of Lily Allen. I find Lady Gaga to be an industry-whore, however.
    Your opinion may differ totally. You might prefer to listen to Tori Amos and Amanda Palmer (of the Dresden Dolls). You may prefer to totally ignore bands with women in them totally, and sit fapping to John Lennon, Roger Daltrey and John Bonham...but, that's your decision to rule out an entire section of the music industry as a chauvinistic fascist. And it's not my place to say otherwise...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsSlNFTjxss

I beg to differ...

Edit: Just watched the video myself.. Gail Anne Dorsey :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatletaxman)
    He has a point!
    =D

I think it's a man's world, and what we deem as 'great' is from a man's point of view. Woman have got their own stuff, it just doesn't translate.

Of course, it's not completely a man's world, so you have your Angela Carters and (some would say) Plaths. Looking at the past, the 'greats' are men, yes, but you have to look at the context in which they were writing or otherwise making. The standard view was, well, yours, for a very, very long time, and it denied women things like education - women's potential for brilliance is obvious in Jane Austen, the sort of woman who was educated. Some people I know would consider education (or rather, prizing the intellect) as societal ingraining by men - it is often said that men think and women feel, no? Perhaps if women were the dominant sex, we would live a life completely devoted to the senses.

Everything in context, OP.

Jane Austen is not a great genius writer!

You think you need great education to be genius in music?

Btw....women from higher social class were educated and men from lower social class were not educated!!....they were seen as peasants.
    Yet so many men from lower social status back ground with no education did great things because they were born genius.
    You can't teach genius.

ReputationRep:
    If you know your history correctly OP, you will know that women had no rights and barely got recognised pre 1900's. We were restrcied in what we could do.
    In fact, if it wasn't for this women, women would still probably be the same as they were back then.
    http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/...g-s-Horse.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    My my my, someone didn't get an education in Music of the 20th century, did they?

Yes, before women became liberated and found they actually had a voice and could do something with it, most of the composers and virtuosos were male - Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Modest Mussorgsky...all penis-bound and writers of tunes that almost everyone could hum if you started them off (cause if I asked you to hum Night on a Bare Mountain, you'd probably struggle...I know I would...)

ANYWAY, women may not have been 'greats' back in the day (due to difference in society where a woman's role was to be at home and wait for her husband to come home, provide him with food, take a swift beating, cleanse the house, take another beating, and then rigid Protestant or Catholic vanilla sex just so that there could be some kids to keep the family name alive...), BUT - women have become greats over the last century.

You say there are no greats in Soul or RnB. I beg to differ. Look at Martha and the Vandellas, Aretha Franklin, Ella Fitzgerald...the whole of Motown was split between good male artists and stellar female artists.
    Then take the women of the 60s and 70s. Janis Joplin, for ****'s sake; Patti Smith, Joan Baez, Grace Slick (of Jefferson Airplane). You can come out into the 80s and early 90s, and the women might not be your cup of tea - Suzi Quattro, Cyndi Lauper, Siouxsie Sioux, the group L7, Hole (of which both ends of the spectrum came into being through Courtney Love and Melissa auf der Maur). I can keep going, if you'd like...I can go on into Charlotte Hatherley, and Neko Case; I can go on until I hit Regina Spektor, if you'd like...

But, here's the real clincher which will seal the deal on this argument:

Music is subjective. Music is what the people make of it. I find The Shaggs to be a good band, and can't help but smile at the naivety in "My Pal's Name is Foot-Foot", but you might think it's dissonance (which it is). I like the sound of Satomi Matsuzaki (of Deerhoof), I like the wails of Kazu Makino (of Blonde Redhead); I find Angela Gossow (of Arch Enemy) to have an extremely sexy growl on her; I am partial to a bit of Ella, I like a bit of Lily Allen. I find Lady Gaga to be an industry-whore, however.
    Your opinion may differ totally. You might prefer to listen to Tori Amos and Amanda Palmer (of the Dresden Dolls). You may prefer to totally ignore bands with women in them totally, and sit fapping to John Lennon, Roger Daltrey and John Bonham...but, that's your decision to rule out an entire section of the music industry as a chauvinistic fascist. And it's not my place to say otherwise...

With your list of average female musicians, trying to claim them to be GREAT GENIUS OF MUSIC.

Go away and learn the meaning of genius and run of the mill average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    That is so unbelievably ignorant. There's an obvious reason for a lack of famous female composers; they weren't allowed to. I'm sure there have been hundreds of great women composers who have simply never got the chance to be heard.

If you maybe broaden your horizons I'm sure you'll find that today there are many incredibly musical women. Hilary Hahn to name but one.
    this 100%:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Madonna? i think she's one of the best out there

ReputationRep:
    KT Tunstall, the defence rests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    Madonna? i think she's one of the best out there
    :curious:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: idiot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.