Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Mad)
    Think of the greatest composers in history. That's easy. You've got your Mozart and your Beethoven, you've gOt your Bach, but what about the not-so-greats? You could probably do some digging on the Internet-and if you were a woman you could convince a man to do some digging on the Internet and then talk about the results like you knew all of them already.

Here's a good question: If women and men are equal which they're not-then why hasn't there ever been a female Mozart? Why hasn't some little girl ever hopped off her daddy's lap and composed a masterpiece for the ages?.....easy...No such thing as a female genius, women are just average.

The Music you see in the charts by woman, are 3rd class, trashy music.They only got to this level,because some big record company put them there to make a bit of money from other women and horny men who like to watch sexy women in music videos.

Without record company's and their gimmicks women would not dominate music.

A group of men can get together in a garage and write and sing great music on their own. how often do you see women doing this?

All the great, Rock, rap, Soul, classical, ect ect are done by men.

Women always like to use sexism as an excuse for their lack of genius.
    Tracy Chapman

ReputationRep:
    I must admit that most of the music I like is by men. That's not to say that all women are crap. I just happen to like indie/mod which was mainly by male artists. Having said that i think some of the girl groups in the 60's were outstanding. But then, who was their music written by? :-/

ReputationRep:
    the reason why appears to me to be somewhat obvious.

(not that there aren't many great female musicians, but surely most people can work out why they tend to be modern musicians)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Tracy Chapman
    I can make a list of 1000 men who are better then her.

ReputationRep:
    I can make a list of 1000 men who are better then her.
    I would be very impressed if you could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh wow)
    Natasha Kham, Peggy Sue, Emmy the Great, Blue Roses, Those Dancing Days, be your own pet, yeah yeah yeahs!! Do your research to avoid making wild accusations.
    They are my friends (cough... name dropping!)

And to the OP, I'd say some of the best music around now is written by women actually:

Joanna Newsom
    Tracy Cambell
    Jana Hunter
    Laura Marling
    Karen O
    Kimya Dawson
    Verity Susman

You would have had a better chance arguing women make worse scientists or mathematicians i reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Tracy Chapman
    You, sir, have good taste.

I'd also like to note Joan Armatrading, Annie Lennox.. the list goes on.

ReputationRep:
    If you had said bands then yes, women bands are usually crap, especially when Rock is concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from like Ella Fitzgerald and Jacqueline Du Pre...

Any what's your point? Did you just want everyone in the thread to just say 'Oh you're right, thanks, you've changed my entire outlook on life'
    If you think women are crappy musicians, fair enough. But I'd prefer to look on an individual basis. I can see there are many talented female musicians, although there is a greater amount of male ones regardless of the factors that led to this.

ReputationRep:
    Brittney - thats all I can say ....

ReputationRep:
    not v true, yuja wang - genius pianist

i think it's more due to the drive (even obsession) in the pursuit of perfection - men get completely involved, obsessed with sth more often than women and pursue it with focus and aggression

ReputationRep:
    A Room of One's Own comes to mind.

Surely, Ella Fitzgerald was a genius ?
    What about the Long Blondes; a majority of females in that band, and they are good.

ReputationRep:
    Erm...I agree with the O.P?

Mozart was famous because he was playing and writing to an incredibly high standard before he was 10. If a little girl did this, do you seriously think she'd be supressed? Her perants would make a bomb!

Let's think of all the great popular musicians of the latter 20th century, where a genuinely talanted woman WOULD have been noticed. Oh wait, come to think of it, there aren't that many women I can think of - any notable female act is outnumbered a gazillion to one in reality. Nearly all the best songs on the Rolling Stone Magazine top 500 tracks were written by men, and most of the top 100 artists rated by that magazine are men (check Wikipedia).

To deny that men excel in almost every branch of human endeavour above and beyond women is folly. You may not like it; but the truth often hurts, and it often does not pay much heed to P.C. comforts.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, I have to agree with the 'women make crappy musicians' most of my library consists of male bands as I find female vocals quite irritating... there's no depth to their music.

ReputationRep:
    Did you not watch the first night of the proms? Katia and Marielle Labèque were absolutely mindblowing to watch and listen to. There are so many gifted musicians who are women.
    Some popular female artists are also very talented- people like Beyonce and Duffy have amazing voices.
    As for composing, Clara Schumann left her mark. I'll grant that all of the greats are male, but if you look at attitudes towards women and music it becomes clear why: Mahler's wife was very musical, but he supressed this and didn't allow her to compose.
    Contemporary composers like Unsuk Chin are also making names for themselve- women do not make "crappy musicians".

ReputationRep:
    You think these average fools are GREAT MUSICAL GENIUS?
    HAHAHAHAAH
    :rolleyes: I doubt you've ever actually heard them with your appparant aversion to women. And yes, they are great musical genius in their own way. I expect you're one of those who thinks fantasy and sci-fi can't be great literary genius either aren't you.

ReputationRep:
    We shall just ignore Florence Welch, Tori Amos, Madonna, Kate Bush, P J Havey et al shall we.

ReputationRep:
    women simply did not have acess to the tuition and encouragement that males had back then. whereas mozart was coached to be a child musical genius since day one, women were expected to have far less interesting duties, and so did not even get a chance, even though im sure many had the ability to. as for now, thats the music industry for you, they only churn out what the public want, so indie guys, and women with not much talent but the lads like the look of.
    and it isnt always the case anyway, look at ella fitzgerald, aretha franklin, amy winehouse, beth rowley, joan armatrading.. i think all of these are credible musicians. however i do agree that women are rubbish where rock/indie are concerned!

and you obviously havnt heard me play the sax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    They are my friends (cough... name dropping!)

And to the OP, I'd say some of the best music around now is written by women actually:

Joanna Newsom
    Tracy Cambell
    Jana Hunter
    Laura Marling
    Karen O
    Kimya Dawson
    Verity Susman

You would have had a better chance arguing women make worse scientists or mathematicians i reckon.
    :eek: name dropping or not, I am jealous! They probably know this but tell them they are amazing?! :cool: And good examples.

And what about Marie Curie? You know, I think she may just created the theory of radioactivity... and been the first person to win 2 nobel prizes :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    You, sir, have good taste.

I'd also like to note Joan Armatrading, Annie Lennox.. the list goes on.
    And so do you.

Amazing sig.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.