Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Mozart had a sister that was very musical but if I remember correctly, the social pressures of the time made her give up music to have a family/husband blaaah blaah blaah.

So even if no one has forces women not to contribute, there is always this underlying pressure to be the 'average woman'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    It's not women's fault that Pop music is rubbish, mate.
    Exactly.
    OP sounds like a right ****.
    Look at men in pop.. Peter Andre, Craig David.. I'd say they're rubbish. At least most of the women in pop are fit.
    Before people tell me I'm shallow, don't bother, I know I am already! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el scorcho)
    this is retarded, tori amos is the greatest artist ever

Seen her live 4 times. I absolutely agree.

ReputationRep:
    :troll:

The standard is really dropping these days ...
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Grow a pair OP, for god's sake.

Women might have been educated but they weren't exactly granted the privileges of sharing their creative works like men were.

So no, you won't find a female Mozart from his era. But there are endless examples of modern talented female musicians.

Here are just a few who have incredible voices, talent when it comes to songwriting, playing instruments or a combination:

Tori Amos, Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell, Alanis Morisette, Alicia Keys, Amy Winehouse (granted she's not exactly the best role model atm), Norah Jones, Bjork, Emiliana Torrini, Amy Lee, Eva Cassidy, Imogen Heap, Martha Wainwright, Missy Higgins, Regina Spektor, Sade, Sinead O'Connor, Vanessa Mae, Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation)...

I could go on forever but it's not the sort of thing that should even need justifying.

ReputationRep:
    The genre of music I listen to has rarely any women in it (or any other people that are not white men), mainly because the style does not suit their abilities, with some suffering the stereotype of being a pretty face when in a goth band but that's the fault with record labels more than anything. That and perhaps social and cultural pressures from being permitted to listen to heavy metal. I could probably find more Egyptian girls into metal than black girls in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Mad)
    Jane Austen is not a great genius writer!

You think you need great education to be genius in music?

Btw....women from higher social class were educated and men from lower social class were not educated!!....they were seen as peasants.
    Yet so many men from lower social status back ground with no education did great things because they were born genius.
    You can't teach genius.
    Genius exists as something akin to limitless potential. If one is not exposed to a circumstance whereby that potential can prosper (ie. in education), then that 'genius' goes nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malleablegrace)
    Grow a pair OP, for god's sake.

Women might have been educated but they weren't exactly granted the privileges of sharing their creative works like men were.

So no, you won't find a female Mozart from his era. But there are endless examples of modern talented female musicians.

Here are just a few who have incredible voices, talent when it comes to songwriting, playing instruments or a combination:

Tori Amos, Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell, Alanis Morisette, Alicia Keys, Amy Winehouse (granted she's not exactly the best role model atm), Norah Jones, Bjork, Emiliana Torrini, Amy Lee, Eva Cassidy, Imogen Heap, Martha Wainwright, Missy Higgins, Regina Spektor, Sade, Sinead O'Connor, Vanessa Mae, Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation)...

I could go on forever but it's not the sort of thing that should even need justifying.

Tori Amos, Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell, Alanis Morisette, Alicia Keys, Amy Winehouse (granted she's not exactly the best role model atm), Norah Jones, Bjork, Emiliana Torrini, Amy Lee, Eva Cassidy, Imogen Heap, Martha Wainwright, Missy Higgins, Regina Spektor, Sade, Sinead O'Connor, Vanessa Mae, Sharon den Adel<---------

THEY ARE NOT MUSCIAL GENIUS YOU DUMB *****!! THEY ARE JUST AVERAGE ARTIST.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markreed930)
    Tori Amos, Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell, Alanis Morisette, Alicia Keys, Amy Winehouse (granted she's not exactly the best role model atm), Norah Jones, Bjork, Emiliana Torrini, Amy Lee, Eva Cassidy, Imogen Heap, Martha Wainwright, Missy Higgins, Regina Spektor, Sade, Sinead O'Connor, Vanessa Mae, Sharon den Adel<---------

THEY ARE NOT MUSCIAL GENIUS YOU DUMB *****!! THEY ARE JUST AVERAGE ARTIST.
    HOW DARE YOU.

Fine if you disagree with my opinion, but calling me a dumb *****? Too far.

You have no right whatsoever.

Do you offend everyone you disagree with?

Go back to your hole or something, idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)

You say there are no greats in Soul or RnB. I beg to differ. Look at Martha and the Vandellas, Aretha Franklin, Ella Fitzgerald...the whole of Motown was split between good male artists and stellar female artists.
    I'm sorry but the male artists of the golden age of Motown were more than just 'good', and the women were less than 'stellar'. Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder(!), the Jacksons, Lionel Richie - excellent singers and songwriters. The women may have been great singers, but more often than not the songs themselves were from the male songwriters of the label.

And I have to dispute a few of the women who you called 'great'.
    Regina Spektor? Suzi Quattro? Siouxsie Sioux?
    Really?
    I'll agree with you on Patti Smith but... that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    How the hell can you debate about something so subjective?

OK, you typically like male musicians.

On the contrary, I love female artists. Britney, Janet, Madonna to some extent. Mariah. Bjork. Celine. Floetry. Jill Scott. I guess I find subtle tones more artistic, and female artists tend to have the best performance in my opinion. For instance, Janet revolutionised dance and it was very significant in her Rythm Nation era, as much as the music, and that completeness of an 'artistic package' so to speak, is what I always look for. As opposed to somewhat one-dimensional artists which I feel males often are, especially current R&B singers.

But yeah.. that's just my opinion and isn't debatable.

ReputationRep:
    Sonic Youth, Ash, Heart, Blondie, women all over them and theyre quality....
    oh and if you like old school then Fleetwood Mac and the Carpenters are great. I don't particularly like No Doubt or Yeah Yeah Yeahs but theyre examples, at least..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Blasts from the past:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_Mendelssohn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildegard_of_Bingen

ReputationRep:
    I don't like music made by women, its almost always boring and the songs are about nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Think of the greatest composers in history. That's easy. You've got your Mozart and your Beethoven, you've gOt your Bach, but what about the not-so-greats? You could probably do some digging on the Internet-and if you were a woman you could convince a man to do some digging on the Internet and then talk about the results like you knew all of them already.

Here's a good question: If women and men are equal which they're not-then why hasn't there ever been a female Mozart? Why hasn't some little girl ever hopped off her daddy's lap and composed a masterpiece for the ages?.....easy...No such thing as a female genius, women are just average.

The Music you see in the charts by woman, are 3rd class, trashy music.They only got to this level,because some big record company put them there to make a bit of money from other women and horny men who like to watch sexy women in music videos.

Without record company's and their gimmicks women would not dominate music.

A group of men can get together in a garage and write and sing great music on their own. how often do you see women doing this?

All the great, Rock, rap, Soul, classical, ect ect are done by men.

Women always like to use sexism as an excuse for their lack of genius.

I agree mr mad, women are just average, they don't have the genius genes in them.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    Mozart had a sister that was very musical but if I remember correctly, the social pressures of the time made her give up music to have a family/husband blaaah blaah blaah.
    That's right - she was thought to be almost as much of a genius as Mozart in some areas, and regularly performed with him at concerts, when they were children. But as she grew older, the expectations of women in society meant that whilst Mozart could translate the child-progidy success into adult success, she didn't get the chance and had to end up marrying. Men could get positions at various royal courts for composing/performing, and at cathedrals etc., but women most certainly couldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    That's right - she was thought to be almost as much of a genius as Mozart in some areas, and regularly performed with him at concerts, when they were children. But as she grew older, the expectations of women in society meant that whilst Mozart could translate the child-progidy success into adult success, she didn't get the chance and had to end up marrying. Men could get positions at various royal courts for composing/performing, and at cathedrals etc., but women most certainly couldn't.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Mozart is not mozart because he had a great education.

And women of higher social level did have education. men from working class had no education.

Stop talking crap that women were not educated.
    Education was given to people based on class.
    Higher class women may have had education, but they were certainly discouraged from making a living from music, among many other things.

Just a point, but I studied music at university, and the majority of the best musicians on my course were girls. Now I teach music in schools; at least 50% of instrumental teachers are women.

Anyone with an ounce of knowledge about classical music would be able to reel off a list of fantastic female virtuosos: Jacqueline du Pre, Natalie Klein, Alison Balsom, Tamsin Little, for example. Let's not forget the female conductors such as Marin Alsop, JoAnn Falletta and Sarah Caldwell (first female lead conductor of the New York Metropolitan Opera), and the 1930s composer/conductor Nadia Boulanger.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. Do your research next time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.