Flats with 12 month contracts Watch

T.K.B
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ive just been searching for flats to move in from September with 2 of my classmates; but most of the flats we could afford have minimum contract length of 12 months. Problem is- none of us wont be living in the flats for the 3 month long summer holidays. I just spoke with a letting agent- and they told me that we could kind of let the flat out to others during the summer period to make up for the contract. I just wanna know- is this a good thing to do? Has anyone else done this? How difficult is it to find people for summer?
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Might be difficult, if it's a student let place.
Some people I know come and go during the summer though but in saying that I can see where you're coming from if you only return for say 2 weeks in the holidays. hmm. Unless your landlord doesn't mind whether you let the flat our to other people rather than students. But then they have council tax and stuff eurgh.
~ Purple Rose ~
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Most student houses/flats are on a 12-month contract, so will end up mostly empty in the summer.
A couple of years ago two people moved into my house for the summer, they were postgrads who had deadlines that went on through the summer.
You should be able to find people (or may decide to stay there yourself), it will be pretty hard to find a student house without a contract covering summer, although some offer half rent if nobody is there.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sub-letting is normally against the terms of the contract.
robbo3045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
12 month contracts are the norm, and just because your a student landlords are not going to lower the contract period. You just have to pay for it. Why don't you try to make use of it while your there... get a job near by for that time perhaps?
fungirl1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Google the term break clause it will help you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (134)
27.29%
No (357)
72.71%

Watched Threads