Turn on thread page Beta

I've been with my girlfriend for just over 2 years now, but I think she's started having feelings for another guy. They used to be close friends (and hooked up once) a few years ago and I think they've talked on MSN over the years, but nothing extensive or anything, and she never sees him other than at parties.

However, this girl had a gathering a few days ago and my gf was talking to this guy for most of the night. I was a bit drunk though, so I didn't notice, but the next day loads of my friends were saying how they'd been looking a bit too close and that I should talk to her, even though nothing phyisically happened between them. So I asked her about it and she said they'd just been talking and she'd never cheat on me, and I don't she would. She said she liked speaking to him because they were good friends. I really wanted to tell her to stop talking to him on MSN and in "real life", but I thought that'd be a bit controlling so I told her it was fine, even though I was still pretty angry. Because of their past and this party, I'm convinced she's got feelings for him, even if they aren't huge or anything. It's killing me that she could like this guy, but I'm not normally the possessive type and I don't want to do anything stupid.

So what would you do in my situation? Is it fair to expect her to not talk to him, or am I being too jealous?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say you can't talk to him - she'd go mental and probably do the opposite. But then I don't think you're being too jealous. I'd leave it for a while, perhaps talk to the friends that told you that she was getting 'close' with him. Try talking to you girfriend also... tell her it's making you feel insecure and see what she thinks...
    Good luck xx

Cheers for the input. I did talk to her about it a bit the day after it happened, and she offered to stop talking to him, but I don't think she would have agreed to it really - I think she was just expecting me to say "No, don't worry, I wouldn't make you do that" etc. He's known as being a bit of a **** though, in terms of messing girls around, which is why I don't get why she wants to speak to him.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go and punch him... but that's just me - plus I have a lame punch Mainly cos I'm a girl.

If he's a ****, then I'd certainly do something because you're in trouble otherwise. They get around man, seriously quick and are very sly. Be careful!!

You need to talk to her asap. Explain your concern. If something's going on, then she's not worth it anyways. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been with my girlfriend for just over 2 years now, but I think she's started having feelings for another guy. They used to be close friends (and hooked up once) a few years ago and I think they've talked on MSN over the years, but nothing extensive or anything, and she never sees him other than at parties.

However, this girl had a gathering a few days ago and my gf was talking to this guy for most of the night. I was a bit drunk though, so I didn't notice, but the next day loads of my friends were saying how they'd been looking a bit too close and that I should talk to her, even though nothing phyisically happened between them. So I asked her about it and she said they'd just been talking and she'd never cheat on me, and I don't she would. She said she liked speaking to him because they were good friends. I really wanted to tell her to stop talking to him on MSN and in "real life", but I thought that'd be a bit controlling so I told her it was fine, even though I was still pretty angry. Because of their past and this party, I'm convinced she's got feelings for him, even if they aren't huge or anything. It's killing me that she could like this guy, but I'm not normally the possessive type and I don't want to do anything stupid.

So what would you do in my situation? Is it fair to expect her to not talk to him, or am I being too jealous?
    Actually, PM me, if you really want to know what I'd do

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.