Salif Keita Moffou Watch

This discussion is closed.
N Bennett
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi all,

Apropos of nothing, my good deed for the day is to tell everyone to buy a CD called Moffou by a
Malian singer and guitarist called Salif Keita. This guy's sobriquet is apparently 'the golden voice
of Mali.' He's old, stout, and an albino, but you could fall in love with him because of his voice.
It's got a slightly husky edge to it, but it's sweet - full of intelligence, life, emotion and
experience. As someone on the american amazon site says of one of his albums, "There is something
almost spiritual that moved me when I heard his voice." It's totally *not* soppy though - it's tough
and bright - the music really swings, it's like south american music. If you don't believe me, find
somebody with a copy and listen to it. You won't understand anything, probably, because he sings in
(i think) French plus his native tongue, but it makes no difference. I only bought it because of
people's recommendations on amazon, and it was the best call I've made in a long time.

He has had an interesting life: "Guitarist Salif Keita comes from a prestigious lineage in his
native Djoliba, a village west of Bamako in Mali. On both his mother's and father's side, he is a
Keita, nobility in that area. However, he always felt like a social outcast because he is an albino.
Therefore at age 19, he decided to go against the wishes of his parents and began singing for a
living on the streets and in the bars of Bamako."

No, I don't own shares in his record company :-) I'm just the typical proseletising convert. (I
can't be bothered to look up whether that word's spelt right.)

Nora
Ginnie Redston
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"N Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Hi all,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Apropos of nothing, my good deed for the day is to tell everyone to buy a CD called Moffou by a[/q1]
[q1]> Malian singer and guitarist called Salif Keita. This guy's sobriquet is apparently 'the golden[/q1]
[q1]> voice of Mali.' He's old, stout, and an albino, but you could fall in love with him because of his[/q1]
[q1]> voice. It's got a slightly husky edge to it, but it's sweet - full of intelligence, life, emotion[/q1]
[q1]> and experience. As someone on the american amazon site says of one of his albums, "There is[/q1]
[q1]> something almost spiritual that moved me when I heard his voice." It's totally *not* soppy though[/q1]
[q1]> - it's tough and bright - the music really swings, it's like south american music. If you don't[/q1]
[q1]> believe me, find somebody with a copy and listen to it. You won't understand anything, probably,[/q1]
[q1]> because he sings in (i think) French plus his native tongue, but it makes no difference. I only[/q1]
[q1]> bought it because of people's recommendations on amazon, and it was the best call I've made in a[/q1]
[q1]> long time.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> He has had an interesting life: "Guitarist Salif Keita comes from a prestigious lineage in his[/q1]
[q1]> native Djoliba, a village west of Bamako in Mali. On both his mother's and father's side, he is a[/q1]
[q1]> Keita, nobility in that area. However, he always felt like a social outcast because he is an[/q1]
[q1]> albino. Therefore at age 19, he decided to go against the wishes of his parents and began singing[/q1]
[q1]> for a living on the streets and in the bars of Bamako."[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> No, I don't own shares in his record company :-) I'm just the typical proseletising convert. (I[/q1]
[q1]> can't be bothered to look up whether that word's spelt right.)[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Nora[/q1]

Ooh, do you ever listen to Charlie Gillett? I sometimes catch his programme on the World Service in
the small hours. I'm sure he played a track by Salif Keita a few weeks back.... it sounded good.

Ginnie
N Bennett
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Ginnie Redston wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "N Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > Apropos of nothing, my good deed for the day is to tell everyone to buy a CD called Moffou by a[/q2]
[q2]> > Malian singer and guitarist called Salif Keita.[/q2]
<snip>
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Ooh, do you ever listen to Charlie Gillett? I sometimes catch his programme on the World[/q1]
[q1]> Service in the small hours. I'm sure he played a track by Salif Keita a few weeks back.... it[/q1]
[q1]> sounded good.[/q1]

Hi Ginnie, I didn't even know that program existed -- I've never actually listened to the world
service. But I just checked the playlist on the bbc web site, and it looks terrific. According to
the playlist, Gillett is playing some stuff by Malian musicians this week, but I think not Salif
Keita -- the last time he played anything by him appears to be back in March.

Too bad Gillett's on so late - I'm seldom up then - but I see they also air the show during the day
on Mondays, so I'll tune in next week. Glad to know about it.

Nora
Ginnie Redston
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"N Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Ginnie Redston wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > "N Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q2]
[q3]> > > Apropos of nothing, my good deed for the day is to tell everyone to buy a CD called Moffou by[/q3]
[q3]> > > a Malian singer and guitarist called Salif Keita.[/q3]
[q1]> <snip>[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Ooh, do you ever listen to Charlie Gillett? I sometimes catch his[/q2]
programme
[q2]> > on the World Service in the small hours. I'm sure he played a track by[/q2]
Salif
[q2]> > Keita a few weeks back.... it sounded good.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Hi Ginnie, I didn't even know that program existed -- I've never actually listened to the world[/q1]
[q1]> service. But I just checked the playlist on the bbc web site, and it looks terrific. According to[/q1]
[q1]> the playlist, Gillett is playing some stuff by Malian musicians this week, but I think not Salif[/q1]
[q1]> Keita -- the last time he played anything by him appears to be back in March.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Too bad Gillett's on so late - I'm seldom up then - but I see they also air the show during the[/q1]
[q1]> day on Mondays, so I'll tune in next week. Glad to know about it.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Nora[/q1]

That's probably when I heard the track then, since I do listen quite regularly. I tend to go to
sleep with R4 on and then wake up at 2.00am to hear the programme - a minor vice I hope. I've bought
a number of CDs that Charlie Gillett has recommended [1], and Salif Keita has been on my "pending"
list for quite a while (think Andy Kershaw also featured him in some daytime prog).

Ginnie

[1] two purchases from a year or so back: Latinas - women of South America (Putumayo World Music),
bought after track 3, Lhasa "De Cara a la Pared" was played, and... Rokia Traore: Wanita ( She's
from the upper Niger.) Label Bleu LBLC 2574 HM 83), bought after track 6, Wanita was played.
Both feature extraordinary voices and rhythms.
Ian/Cath Ford
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 07:28:16 +0100, "Ginnie Redston" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>[1] two purchases from a year or so back: Latinas - women of South America (Putumayo World Music),[/q1]
[q1]> bought after track 3, Lhasa "De Cara a la Pared" was played, and... Rokia Traore: Wanita ([/q1]
[q1]> She's from the upper Niger.) Label Bleu LBLC 2574 HM 83), bought after track 6, Wanita was[/q1]
[q1]> played. Both feature extraordinary voices and rhythms.[/q1]

Thank you ladies - this is precisely the sort of recomendation that I need! It is bound, however, to
seriously piss Cath off - especially as Eoin usually really like this sort of thing :-)

Ian
--
Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles

Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.

You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.
N Bennett
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Ian/Cath Ford wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thank you ladies - this is precisely the sort of recomendation that I need! It is bound, however,[/q1]
[q1]> to seriously piss Cath off - especially as Eoin usually really like this sort of thing :-)[/q1]

Ian my dear, I'm entirely mystified.

a) what do you mean 'this sort of thing' and why will Eoin like it?
b) why will Eoin liking it piss Cath off?

Nora
Ian/Cath Ford
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:33:28 +0100, N Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Ian/Cath Ford wrote:[/q1]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Thank you ladies - this is precisely the sort of recomendation that I need! It is bound, however,[/q2]
[q2]>> to seriously piss Cath off - especially as Eoin usually really like this sort of thing :-)[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Ian my dear, I'm entirely mystified.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>a) what do you mean 'this sort of thing' and why will Eoin like it?[/q1]

World music - for want of a better way of putting it. I like it, Cath hates it. Eoin usually loves
it and dances around like a mad thing and claps his hands and whatever.

[q1]>c) why will Eoin liking it piss Cath off?[/q1]

Which usually really, really pisses Cath off no end because she can't stand it (ever heard La
Bottine Souriante btw? That's her all time hate and we both love it....) and if he likes it I can
get away with playing it.

Is that any clearer at all?

Where did b go btw?

Ian
--
Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles

Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.

You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.
N Bennett
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Ian/Cath Ford wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:33:28 +0100, N Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
<snip>
[q1]> Which usually really, really pisses Cath off no end because she can't stand it (ever heard La[/q1]
[q1]> Bottine Souriante btw?[/q1]

No, but a quick Google search yielded this: "La Bottine Souriante's jovial blend of foot stomping,
accordion/fiddle-laced folklore and jazzy, salsa-flavoured horns has had bootie's smiling for
nearly 25 years"

Sounds weird but fun.

[q1]> Where did b go btw?[/q1]

I think it wandered off to watch one of the other acts and never came back :-)

Nora
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (27)
14.92%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.55%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (66)
36.46%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (6)
3.31%
No particular grades needed (11)
6.08%