Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Disappointed with uni results watch

ReputationRep:
    just got my first years results and they are so bad i only jst passed...being used to getting all A's since GCSEs ... this has made me really ... do people manage to change in 2nd yr ?

ReputationRep:
    What course are you doing? Where?

ReputationRep:
    if your used to getting all A's then you obviously didn't do as well as you are capable of ? life goes on , next year spend more time studying and less time drinking .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Part of the reason why first year marks don't generally count towards your overall degree classification is to give you the space to learn about how University study is different to what you may have been used to at school.

People certainly do manage to change - what it comes down to is wanting to change, and being prepared to put in the effort to finding out what went wrong and how you can do better.

If your uni offers any sort of study skills sessions sign up for them. Look at any feedback you've already been given, and act on it. You could also get in touch with your lecturers/tutors, explain that you seem to be struggling, and ask their advice on what areas you should concentrate on to improve next year. Think, too, about your own perceptions of how things have been going. Are there any areas you feel are causing you problems?

If possible, spend some time over the summer getting to grips with things - reading around the subject and getting more comfortable with what's required.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truckstopblues)
    if your used to getting all A's then you obviously didn't do as well as you are capable of ? life goes on , next year spend more time studying and less time drinking .
    Off topic, but shouldn't the quote attribution in your sig be "Holly Golightly" rather than "Audrey Hepburn"... :p:

ReputationRep:
    i didnt do to well in my first year but imporved in my second, but i had to much more effort in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    Off topic, but shouldn't the quote attribution in your sig be "Holly Golightly" rather than "Audrey Hepburn"... :p:
    some people are just never satisfied!!
    :cool:

happy now? ^___^ haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    i didnt do to well in my first year but imporved in my second, but i had to much more effort in.
    i hope i can improve in 2nd yr too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truckstopblues)
    some people are just never satisfied!!
    :cool:

happy now? ^___^ haha
    It should take you exactly 4 seconds to change your sig. I give you two.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, did you do so by preparing with the previous years notes/books over the summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterrrmelon)
    i hope i can improve in 2nd yr too
    you can, whats your subject ? How bad did you do in your first year ?
    I got a medium 2:2 with some shocking results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    It should take you exactly 4 seconds to change your sig. I give you two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOIZ3RSU1MM

(Original post by Waterrrmelon)
    just got my first years results and they are so bad i only jst passed...being used to getting all A's since GCSEs ... this has made me really ... do people manage to change in 2nd yr ?
    I got a 2.2 in first year and got a reasonably high 1st in 2nd year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Out of curiosity, did you do so by preparing with the previous years notes/books over the summer?
    I read a book by someone called Hazel Hutchinson on how to write essays and assignments. I read it and took notes over the summer I advise it to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Stop moaning, schmuck! As long as you're prepared to put in the effort, you have two more years to improve your performance.

ReputationRep:
    I read a book by someone called Hazel Hutchinson on how to write essays and assignments. I read it and took notes over the summer I advise it to anyone.
    Wrote notes on the book or on your subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Wrote notes on the book or on your subject?
    Notes On the book, i do all the reading for my subject prep etc before i write the essay for about a week.

ReputationRep:
    atm its about a 2:2...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    I got a 2.2 in first year and got a reasonably high 1st in 2nd year
    wow how did u do that?

ReputationRep:
    First year I just passed, I didn't do half of my coursework, I had to resit in the summer. Second year I got a mid 2:1.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.