Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Ok...i'm seriously thinking about applying for a MA in social work to begin september 2010. For about half a year now i've had my eye on being a primary teacher and booked myself into a couple of schools to do work experience in september as i was hoping to do a PGCE starting next year...although I just can't see my self as a teacher anymore...not sure if i'm just lacking confidence!
    But how difficult is it to gain a place on a MA social work? Anyone who's been accepted onto one what experience did you have?
    Obviously i'd have to get a bit more experience as i've only just started to think about social work again. About 3 years ago I had a couple of weeks work experience at a Social services by me, had experience in a Special School and volunteered for nearly two years helping Special Needs children to ride horses...would people suggest doing a couple more weeks experience at the Social Services again or would that still be not enough?
    I'm sure I read somewhere at certain Uni's you need a years full experience with a social worker before applying?
    I'm abit lost

Ooh, and how many universities are you allowed to apply to for it? Thank you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    When I applied you applied through SWAS (the social work branch of UCAS, basically which you used to apply through) and had three choices. On UCAS undergraduate can apply for 5 courses, but I'm not sure for the MSc.
    I didn't have much experience when I applied, a week of volunteering for Vitalise and just over a year as a support worker with a visually impaired student at uni.
    The experience you already have is good, the stuff in schools you have lined up will be useful as well. Have a look at www.do-it.org.uk for voluntary work, www.vitalise.org.uk if you can spare a week (I've done it another three times in the last couple of years and it is a great experience), and contact social workers and ask to shadow them.
    You could also look at working or helping out in a nursing home/hospice/homeless shelter/for Mind, or anything with people basically.
    Have a look at UCAS to see what each uni want. Some want a 2:1, some a 2:2. All want experience, but some do have a specific number of hours they want you do have done - on my application form you had to state how many weeks you had done each thing for, and how many hours per week, but I don't know if that is the case now.
    For more information, www.communitycare.co.uk is very good, and they have a useful forum as well.

ReputationRep:
    www.cwdcouncil.org.uk < keep an eye on them if you're interested in Children's social work. They're working closely with local authorities on a number of social work projects this year. One (Graduate Recruitment Scheme) doesn't nescessarily require you to have a wealth of social work experience to apply for the MA (with a joint local authority/HEI interview process), although there's no confirmation of it continuing in 2010/11. I know a lot about it, ask me any questions if you're interested in more info!

I would of course suggest doing some voluntary work though, you can't knock experience =)

ReputationRep:
    Hiya. I have a place on the BA social work starting in Sept. I've worked in a nursery, a residential home for older people and I know work at a residential home for people with learning disabilities. Experience is important so I would have a look for some voluntary work or paid work in a care setting. It's now difficult to get a voluntary place at social services due to a high demand of students looking for placements and there's not many placements as there is. I would recommend contacting a few charities or private organisations that have social workers such as Barnardo's, foster agencies etc and see if you can do a few days observational. That's what I've done and I'm still waiting to hear. Good luck with your application, it sounds like you have already done a lot of work experience so you should be accepted no problems. I would just have a quick look at the criteria for the universities your interested in applying to and see how much experience candidates need before applying.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for your help guys, much appreciated
    Also, does anyone know how many uni's you can apply to for the MA Social Work? I've heard its three but on UCAS it lets you put in five choices?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I'm currently doing my apps through UCAS, painful process . As far as I can see you can put five choices, thats what I have done but haven't finished it yet so i may have a nasty suprise in store.

ReputationRep:
    oh gosh..really worried now applied to study MA/MSc Social work starting september 2010 ...reallly worried...got 1 'NO' already from royal holloway.... even though i think my personal statement is okay and have experience...do not know what to expect...=(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalianicha)
    oh gosh..really worried now applied to study MA/MSc Social work starting september 2010 ...reallly worried...got 1 'NO' already from royal holloway.... even though i think my personal statement is okay and have experience...do not know what to expect...=(
    To be fair, the entry requirements for Royal Holloway appear higher than for most places, how much experience do you have? Don't worry about it, I'm sure you will be ok

ReputationRep:
    oh, i hope so =( i have two years experience...part-time.... in mental health as a support worker...may be i didnt stress it enough in my personal statement? mmmm but i think i did... well...there is only so much u can write in a personal statement= ( gosh.... i also applied to Goldsmith, Southampton, Brighton, and Kingston...fingers crossed=(

ReputationRep:
    With that amount of experience you shouldn't struggle at all

ReputationRep:
    dunno=((( may be they cant see it from my personal statement=(

ReputationRep:
    im being so negative about it all ..and usually im such a positive person=)

ReputationRep:
    I think for everyone the waiting is a killer, don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    oh my god, got a call from Goldsmiths today...and the woman said how many hours a week i worked as a support worker.... i said on my second year of uni i did 15 hours and now on my 3 year im doing round 12 hours... brrrr is it a good sign??? ahahah and on their website it says u should normally have 1 year full time...which works out fine if you count my hours all together

ReputationRep:
    oh my god, got a call from Goldsmiths today...and the woman said how many hours a week i worked as a support worker.... i said on my second year of uni i did 15 hours and now on my 3 year im doing round 12 hours... brrrr is it a good sign??? ahahah and on their website it says u should normally have 1 year full time...which works out fine if you count my hours all together
    In your personal statement did you say how long you had been a support worker for?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't applied yet...is it too late do you think? It's another potential career that's come up since I've been speaking to my careers advisor and as with the OP I decided against teaching recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discombobulation)
    I haven't applied yet...is it too late do you think? It's another potential career that's come up since I've been speaking to my careers advisor and as with the OP I decided against teaching recently.

It isn't too late but you really should apply within the next 2 weeks. The best thing to probably do would be to call the uni's your interested in going to and ask if they have spaces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clair1987)
    It isn't too late but you really should apply within the next 2 weeks. The best thing to probably do would be to call the uni's your interested in going to and ask if they have spaces.
    Will do...
    Also, becaus it's through UCAS is Clearing an option?
    I don't think I've got much/any chance anyway if I'm honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discombobulation)
    Will do...
    Also, becaus it's through UCAS is Clearing an option?
    I don't think I've got much/any chance anyway if I'm honest.
    Clearing is an option, and many universities still have interviews to do so there is still time.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It sounds like a good sign, they are obviously considering you

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.