Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a solicitor. I chose not to do a law degree, but I've always planned to do the GDL when I graduate and follow that route. I don't particularly want to work in city law, I've always envisioned myself working in a large regional firm. However, I've recently realised that a career in book publishing would also be really interesting to me. I'm not sure why I never thought about it before, but I really think I would enjoy it. So now I'm really unsure as to what I want to do, and since I'm going to be starting my third year of uni in October, I feel really pressured to decide, and I could really use some advice.

Part of me is leaning towards law, because it means I can hopefully get decent work outside of London, whereas with Publishing it seems to be almost entirely based in London, and I'm not really sure I want to live in London. An advantage of Publishing is that I could start looking for a job as soon as I graduate, without further study. But on the other hand, I get the impression that with Publishing I would basically have to start at the very bottom and work my way up, whereas with law once I'm qualified I can work as a solicitor. I know both fields are extremely competitive, but I perceive publishing to be harder to get into, is this correct?

I have a little bit of shadowing lined up at a very small local publishers in a few weeks, but I don't know if this will really give me a very realistic idea of what to expect from a career in Publishing if I pursue it properly. I'm also trying desperately to get a bit of legal work experience over the summer (did a little bit a couple of years ago).

The main problem is that I don't really want to give either dream up!! I'd really appreciate your advice with this everyone!
    • CV Helper

CV Helper
    (Original post by Memento Mori)
    An advantage of Publishing is that I could start looking for a job as soon as I graduate, without further study.
    Not exactly. Most people need several weeks of work experience before they can find a job in publishing. It is very competitive! Choose law so I have less competition. Just kidding. Publishing is the best possible career, in my opinion!

Oxford has quite a few publishers, it's second to London. All cities have a few publishers, but you're right that the vast majority are in London. If you're picky about what kind of publisher you want to to work for, then it'll have to be London...

Apply for both and see which you get into?

Out've curiosity, what does a job in publishing involve exactly?
    • CV Helper

CV Helper
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Out've curiosity, what does a job in publishing involve exactly?
    Depends. There are many different areas of publishing.

Editorial - acquiring and commissioning books, working with authors to get the book ready for publication, copy-editing.
    Production - physically producing the books.
    Marketing - like any marketing job... but with books. Involves organising advertising and publicity campaigns.
    Sales - like any sales job... selling the books once they're completely published.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.