Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Generally, what topics in GCSE Triple Science are missing in Double Science? Watch

ReputationRep:
    ....and will we be at a disadvantage if we don't know them?

ReputationRep:
    I think you don't do anything about moles in double science at my school. We have covered them briefly in triple, so if you're worried about being behind, you could always read up a bit about them?

ReputationRep:
    At a disadvantage for what, A levels? If so then no you won't be at any disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    it gives you an advantage for about a month then everybody catches up

ReputationRep:
    The school I used to go to only offered double science. When I started the AS chemistry and biology course, I felt that I missed out a lot in biology (mainly because I hadn't covered the structure of the heart at all and that was the first topic we covered at AS), but you realise that it doesn't affect your progress at AS because the teachers recognise the fact that not everyone has studied triple science(at the school I currently go to anyway). I hardly ever felt behind in chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain this Double/Triple science thing is?
    Cos we just do individual sciences.

ReputationRep:
    You miss Mod 5, 6 of all 3 sciences.

In Biology it wasn't too bad, it could be learnt easily (mostly bacteria structures, etc)

In Chemistry it's moles, volumes, further equations, etc.

In Physics it was quite a lot; equations of motions, momentum, optics, all of electricity, etc.

They help in A-level Science but are not required.

Good luck though...

Edit: This is for OCR and I did GCSE's over a year ago, just finished AS...

ReputationRep:
    Triple is chemistry, biology and physics.
    Double is chemistry biology and physics but with a couple of topics missed out.

There's no advantage I'd say that triple has over double in terms of preparing for A levels, the topics missed out can easily be understood if you want any chance of getting a decent grade at A level anyway lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    You miss Mod 5, 6 of all 3 sciences.

In Biology it wasn't too bad, it could be learnt easily (mostly bacteria structures, etc)

In Chemistry it's moles, volumes, further equations, etc.

In Physics it was quite a lot; equations of motions, momentum, optics, all of electricity, etc.

They help in A-level Science but are not required.

Good luck though...

Edit: This is for OCR and I did GCSE's over a year ago, just finished AS...
    Modules 5 and 6? They're 2 out of the 3 modules in OCR Additional Science which we covered. :confused:

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've looked on the specification for OCR GCSE Chemistry and it seems that some parts of modules 1,2,3 and 7 weren't covered in Double Science, though that might be because we covered Core Science with AQA and Additional Science with OCR. For AQA, the modules that weren't covered don't seem that obvious.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.