Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Family stealing my money-what do I do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He has one, it's just its too basic to do the thing he's doing with mine. So I took most of money out and thats why it's being stolen from the house.
    Why does your father have access to your account?

Is the account in your name? It may be possible to get a list of which card has been used to debit funds. If your dad is using YOUR card, a pin number change is in order!

Alternatively (or simultaneously) set up another account - savings with a cash point only card maybe - purely to keep your money secure.

Talk to your mum as well.

Edit to add:

Buy a personal strong box/cash tin/something similar and keep your money/purse in there and the keys on you at all times.

(Original post by The Referee)
    Why does your father have access to your account?

Is the account in your name? It may be possible to get a list of which card has been used to debit funds. If your dad is using YOUR card, a pin number change is in order!

Alternatively (or simultaneously) set up another account - savings with a cash point only card maybe - purely to keep your money secure.

Talk to your mum as well.

Edit to add:

Buy a personal strong box/cash tin/something similar and keep your money/purse in there and the keys on you at all times.
    He has access because he needed to pay a bill electronically which his account is too basic to do from. I got the list of companies: it's only one. I agreed once, but now it happenns alot and I cant keep track of it.

Well open another account

ReputationRep:
    He has access because he needed to pay a bill electronically which his account is too basic to do from. I got the list of companies: it's only one. I agreed once, but now it happenns alot and I cant keep track of it.
    I definitely think you need to open another current account, ignore the other moneywise and let your father know that the only money in it will be his. But be careful he doesnt get into an overdraft in your name.

And take your money to bed with you if you havent learnt to already, your family wont stop if theyre already doing it - you either know right from wrong or like them you dont.

The safe/cash box is v.good idea. Digital/Combination/Hidden/Keys - can put on chain wear as a necklace?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thumbs-Up-Mi...ref=pd_cp_kh_2
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ATM-Savings-...8195051&sr=8-2
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tobar-Combin...8195051&sr=8-5
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everyday-Mon...195051&sr=8-10

ReputationRep:
    yeah open a new account for yourself.
    makesure your old ones got no overdraft.
    finally keep small amounts of money at house just when you need it, it shoukd be locked and hidden in a cash box and keep it hidden and lock and the key should be with you at all times.. the rest should be in the bank.

that should stop the thieving family.

ReputationRep:
    are you sure its not the maid or anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Can't your dad upgrade his account so he can do what he needs to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by co_co_vogue)
    I dont have a maid. It is definitly family members, there is no one else it could be.

Well then you need to keep it under lock and key....sorry buddy!

ReputationRep:
    Tell them the truth, that your money has been disappearing and you don't know what else to think. If that doesn't work, then you should hide it or lock it somewhere.

Or maybe you should steal their money instead - just to get a point across.

ReputationRep:
    Hide your cash.

Leave a welcome note (and/or a spider) in your purse for the future.

Open a new bank account. It's very easy! Just pop into your bank and they'll be more than happy to accommodate for you.

This should solve your problems.

ReputationRep:
    You'll just have to keep your money on you at all times. I've learned that amongst certain people, not necessarily family, that the temptation to take money is too strong and I therefore have to be vigilant.

ReputationRep:
    Remove his access (p/word etc and cancel any card he has for it).

Sorry to bump. Told my dad never to use my card again- he had a go at me, said he wouldnt do it, got mad, shouted at me blah blah. This morning he went into my handbag, got my purse and took my card out my purse. WTF?! I dont even know why!

I told him to pay the bill another way and he said he would.

Would it seem *****y for me to change the pin without telling him??

ReputationRep:
    No, just say that you like changing it every so often, just in case.

And get a spy pen, they're about £15 on ebay and can record 2 hours of video. Leave it in your room, filming, and leave some money out or something. Then watch the video when it gets nicked and confront them.

ReputationRep:
    You can open another account, if you are worried that they will find out, then you should be able to get one without statements thatt you can check online. Don't save any of your passwords anywhere, and talk to the bank about the fact you want to make sure that no one can get a credit card or an overdraft on your account, although you would persoanlly have to sign for this anyway I would imagine (although less so with the credit card)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bump. Told my dad never to use my card again- he had a go at me, said he wouldnt do it, got mad, shouted at me blah blah. This morning he went into my handbag, got my purse and took my card out my purse. WTF?! I dont even know why!

I told him to pay the bill another way and he said he would.

Would it seem *****y for me to change the pin without telling him??
    How would that be rude?! Honestly I think youve had enough responses by now to know that your family is just without boundaries or consciences and its up to you to protect your money. And by now you should know to open another account as he has your no.s etc for this one.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.