Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a firm from Nottingham - but I'm having second thoughts.

Basically, I don't like to listen to hearsay so I would like some honest thoughts - neither exaggerated nor rose-tinted.

I have heard that Nottingham is a lot of ex-public school boys/girls who are snobbish and laugh at northern accents.

I went on the open day and everybody seemed perfectly nice and normal and I thought I would fit in great (however, they're not going to try to put you off on the open day).

The campus was gorgeous, the languages department seemed awesome and it was slightly posher than others I'd seen, but I also saw normal looking people.

1) Are people mostly ex-public school boys/girls who judge people by their parents' money and would be as superficial to judge people on their accents?

2) I've also heard that the SU plays and people generally like rock/indie etc and I can't stand this type of music. Are there people who like and places that play dance/RnB/cheese etc or are they in the minority?

3) Are there people from all over the UK or is mainly people from the South of England? As it is in the Midlands are there a good proportion of people from this region? Will I be in the minority being from northern England? Are there many foreign students (apart from Asians obviously)?

Is it more diverse than Oxbridge? Will I feel like a minority because my parents don't have money?

I'm thinking of perhaps changing to Aston as the crowd is more foreign/diverse but it's still a good uni with high-ish entering grades.

Honest answers very much appreciated.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    my sister went to nottingham and said there are a fair share of public school boys/girls but that didnt automatically mean they were snobby....half her friends were state schooled and the other half went to private schools so there are probably a good mix of people.

ReputationRep:
    a third are private school educated...rest state/grammar...

ReputationRep:
    The fact you are stereotyping all public school kids makes you just as bad as those few to which you refer, who "laugh at Northern accents" and whose "parents...have money".

ReputationRep:
    Well, I just finished my first year there. Fair enough, there are some ex-public people, but really when you think about it, the uni has over 30,000 students, so there's just as many 'normal' people than posh people. And the ex-public people tend to just hang round with each other anyway, so they're no bother at all really. I've made plenty and plenty of friends, who all are 'normal', from all over the country and are just decent, friendly people. Honestly, no-one cares about your accent! I have a northern irish one and they even liked me! :p:

About the SU, to be completely honest, no-one really goes there. All the good clubs are in the city centre, which is only a £1.50 taxi journey if you share with your mates. They're so much fun, there's a different club night every single weeknight and they play all the music that you like! The nightlife is amazing in Nottingham in my opinion, and i know a lot of other people think so too

And no, you won't be a minority lol I have 3 close friends, 2 are from north and one from south. Honestly, people come from everywhere! So there's no need to worry. Also, the language department is amazing, one of the best around i think. A few people i know do languages and absolutely love it!

I hope that's helped you out a bit! Any other questions, give me a shout

ReputationRep:
    half the students are chinese
    loads of people from london/down south go there

its a good uni and good social life-I dont go there but I live next to the uni and quite a few of my friends study there

ReputationRep:
    Even at universities that don't have a massive proportion of privately educated students, you'll still find most are from better off backgrounds. The national average of privately educated students is around 7%, but amongst the Russell Group its three times this level, and those from the social groups defined by the govt as 'working class' are under half of the level they are in everyday society. It's a bit unfair to single Nottingham out like this- it might have a few more from the higher end of the scale than a comparable institution, but you'll find all universities of that sort of standing will be unfairly skewed to that end of the social makeup. This doesn't mean they're all cocky, spoiled snobs either- unfortunately is usually the loud minority (and the unwillingness of people to open their eyes to the rest) that keep stereotypes like this going.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would say Nottingham has slightly more than its fair share of the snobbish privately educated elitists you're thinking of, many with a chip on their shoulder as they didn't get into Oxbridge. While a lot of them are rather loud and noticable, they are still a minority and if they get on your nerves, they're easily avoided.

The SU is used as more of a pub really and when people want to go out they go into the city centre as its amazing and cheap.

Oh and people are form all over the place, I genuinely had to stop and think about it though, cos you just don't think about where anyone is from after five minutes of knowing them.

The place is sure as hell more diverse than oxbridge (I felt genuinely uncomfortable when I went round Cambridge) and changing from Nottingham to Aston would be pure madness. Never fall into the trap of thinking that high entry requirements means the course is good. There's pleanty of crap courses with high entry grades because they don't take many people or are actually hoping people will think its good just because of the requirements not to mention a host of other reasons.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:

This is hilarious. The way you talk about 'posh' people makes you as bad/worse than how you describe them. By the sounds of it, you're as snobby, just inverse snobbery.

At university you'll find loads of people. Simply mix with those you like and get along with, and ignore those you don't.

Also painting everyone who is affluent or went to independent school or posh as snobby and 'laughing at northern accents' won't go down well anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    Even at universities that don't have a massive proportion of privately educated students, you'll still find most are from better off backgrounds. The national average of privately educated students is around 7%, but amongst the Russell Group its three times this level, and those from the social groups defined by the govt as 'working class' are under half of the level they are in everyday society. It's a bit unfair to single Nottingham out like this- it might have a few more from the higher end of the scale than a comparable institution, but you'll find all universities of that sort of standing will be unfairly skewed to that end of the social makeup. This doesn't mean they're all cocky, spoiled snobs either- unfortunately is usually the loud minority (and the unwillingness of people to open their eyes to the rest) that keep stereotypes like this going.
    Hes right, this minority is a majority at alot of the russel groups. It's a viscious cycle, rich well off parents send thier children to "better" schools, arguebly these schools have better teaching, and a better learning enviornment, consequently this means that a larger percentage of these students achieve better grades, the grades needed for the better university, It's not really the universities fault, the only issue i have with them is to encourage more equality and diversity (referring to some of russel group). what then happens is that as there are a large number of these well off privately educated school kids applying to these "good" unis, the equally smarter people lower down the socio-economic scale are put off these institutions as they believe they wont "fit in", so in effect the institutions reputation prevails and causes more private school kids to apply. This is not a cast iron rule, but it does happen alot of the time, and there are things being in place now, to begin to change it, such as bristol weighting the grades of people from "normal" schools higher eg. thier gcses.

ReputationRep:
    The fact your generalising about public school kids makes you just as bad as your generalisations.

ReputationRep:
    Oh puhleaseeee

You said you went to the open day and felt at home, people were nice etc..yet you're basing your opinion on the uni on 'rumours'?!

Its not true, not at all, it has something for everyone and is very diverese and busy university where you will always make friends

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, my northern accent did get the mickey taken out of it when I started at Notts, but not in a bad way! I have friends from all over the country and all over the world.

And I've lived on a diet of almost exclusively cheese music for the last four years, so I wouldn't worry!

ReputationRep:
    I went to Nottingham for a few days for MedSim 2008. The campus was lovely and the people seemed really nice, well, the guys I came into contact with (remembering that it was the middle of July).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies.

Fair points - I re-read my post and that could be classed as inverse snobbery.

Obviously, there are great and not-so-great people from all backgrounds - it was purely a matter of seeing whether I'd feel like a minority.

I think I am going to stick with Nottingham - it did seem like a great uni.

ReputationRep:
    why don't you mak the decision of how 'sobbish' it is when you're there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_89)
    I have a firm from Nottingham - but I'm having second thoughts.

Basically, I don't like to listen to hearsay so I would like some honest thoughts - neither exaggerated nor rose-tinted.

I have heard that Nottingham is a lot of ex-public school boys/girls who are snobbish and laugh at northern accents.

I went on the open day and everybody seemed perfectly nice and normal and I thought I would fit in great (however, they're not going to try to put you off on the open day).

The campus was gorgeous, the languages department seemed awesome and it was slightly posher than others I'd seen, but I also saw normal looking people.

1) Are people mostly ex-public school boys/girls who judge people by their parents' money and would be as superficial to judge people on their accents?

2) I've also heard that the SU plays and people generally like rock/indie etc and I can't stand this type of music. Are there people who like and places that play dance/RnB/cheese etc or are they in the minority?

3) Are there people from all over the UK or is mainly people from the South of England? As it is in the Midlands are there a good proportion of people from this region? Will I be in the minority being from northern England? Are there many foreign students (apart from Asians obviously)?

Is it more diverse than Oxbridge? Will I feel like a minority because my parents don't have money?

I'm thinking of perhaps changing to Aston as the crowd is more foreign/diverse but it's still a good uni with high-ish entering grades.

Honest answers very much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Mate, I'm from a single parent family on a very low income and from the North and I've gotten by fine. I've got mates of all ethnicities, from all backgrounds and of all ages and genders. It's the same as any uni, there are ******** posh kids but then there are ******** poor and not so poor kids too. Just as there are plenty of nice kids too.

I get my Northern accent taken the mickey out of by my Southern housemates, but they aren't posh, and I give it back. It's just friendly banter. There are plenty of Northerners.

What language are you doing? I'm part of the languages department so can answer any questions. Stop letting your silly worries rob you of a great opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    you don't have to worry at all. i don't like partying at all and still manage to be close with some friends.

ReputationRep:
    Really, you have to try very hard not to get along with people and not to make friends at Notts, regardless of their background or where they went to school.

My housemates this year were, for example, a girl who went to one of the best private schools in the country, a bloke who went to school/lives in luxembourg, others who went to grammar school, and others who went to comps. It makes little difference to who they are as people. Your background doesn't define you, and you will meet your fair share of pricks from state schools as well, as your time at school will no doubt remind you.

My advice is to have an open mind, and you can't fail to have an awesome time at Notts, it's a great University, in every regard. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    There are alot of rich people. However they are mostly really nice people and uni is all about meeting new types of people. There are alot of 'normal' people as well and you generally dont know if people went to private school or not. The people who annoy me though are the ones who show of all the time and parade their school leavers hoodies around going look at me and my posh school or act like public school *****. There are 'normal' people out there who are equally as annoying.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.