Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_89)
    I have a firm from Nottingham - but I'm having second thoughts.

Basically, I don't like to listen to hearsay so I would like some honest thoughts - neither exaggerated nor rose-tinted.

I have heard that Nottingham is a lot of ex-public school boys/girls who are snobbish and laugh at northern accents.

I went on the open day and everybody seemed perfectly nice and normal and I thought I would fit in great (however, they're not going to try to put you off on the open day).

The campus was gorgeous, the languages department seemed awesome and it was slightly posher than others I'd seen, but I also saw normal looking people.

1) Are people mostly ex-public school boys/girls who judge people by their parents' money and would be as superficial to judge people on their accents?

2) I've also heard that the SU plays and people generally like rock/indie etc and I can't stand this type of music. Are there people who like and places that play dance/RnB/cheese etc or are they in the minority?

3) Are there people from all over the UK or is mainly people from the South of England? As it is in the Midlands are there a good proportion of people from this region? Will I be in the minority being from northern England? Are there many foreign students (apart from Asians obviously)?

Is it more diverse than Oxbridge? Will I feel like a minority because my parents don't have money?

I'm thinking of perhaps changing to Aston as the crowd is more foreign/diverse but it's still a good uni with high-ish entering grades.

Honest answers very much appreciated.

Thanks.
    My friend has just finished her first year there and I'm starting this september and we're both from the north (near preston)
    Although a bit of a generalisation I'm sure, she said there were quite a lot of private school kids and she does kind of get teased for her accent.....not really in a cruel way though I think its more because people from the north are the minority. I hear there are a lot of southeners (especially londoners), like any place though there will always be people like you its just about finding the people you feel most confortable with. Me and my friend, who is there now, are both from comprehensives and although I would say neither of us are poor at all, we are also not rich. Funnily enough her close group of friends at uni are all non private schools kids. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you make your best effort to get along with people it should hopefully work out.

ReputationRep:
    Nah. I'm form near Preston-ish (well 20 minutes away) and no-one really has ever said anything. If they have it's just banter and to be honest I take the piss out of myself for it AND take the piss out of them for being southern.

ReputationRep:
    Wehayyy, taking the mickey out of each other's accents, the "bant" from Nottingham students gets finer by the second doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Wow this whole thread about accents has me laughing pretty hard ... is it really that big a concern whether your accent is from the North or South or Irish or whatever? I won't even be able to tell the difference lol. I'll be coming to Nottingham with my "American" accent even though I'm Canadian I guess it should be interesting

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Nottingham for my postgrad and I came from a failing comprehensive school. My undergrad Uni was Birmingham, and I got both sides of it: some people looked down on me and said I was from the 'North' (I'm from Nottingham originally), whilst others said my accent was Southern! Try not to worry about it, you won't even notice whilst you're there.

ReputationRep:
    I somehow doubt you have anything to worry about- im hopefully all fingers crossed going to nottingham in sept and im from Morpeth, but lived on a farm even further north than that. And my accent stands out in my hometown... but to be honest i dont give a ****. If someone doesn't like you for who you are and how you speak, it says more about them than it does you!

ReputationRep:
    Aston? Not even in the same league as Nottingham, to tell the truth. Don't let the stereotypes push you into a worse uni with inferior prospects.

And for what it's worth, I have never encountered any real snobbery or been judged because I went to a Comprehensive school. As I've mentioned on this board before, I don't even know whether most of my friends and coursemates went to private, grammar or comprehensive schools - and I certainly don't care.

Also, I wonder if it isn't just a little bit ironic that there's a slew of posts on this subforum from non-private school, non-Southerners complaining that Nottingham is full of Etonians. Seems like the more common prejudice is against "privilege" rather than against "commoners".

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.