Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what, in people's opinion would be the best choices for self catered residences at Bristol.

I'm not going for another year but my parents are being totally crazy about me having my choices and everything sorted now. Maybe it's because they know how disorganised I am.

Any help would be good, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Prospectus comes 3 months before you're due to go, you have a month to decide from there.

ReputationRep:
    My opinion is bias because I went there but Durdham Hall is great. (tbh, you are going to enjoy it whatever hall you go into) Although I swear I had put down the cheaper University Hall as my first choice, I ended up getting Durdham Hall. Tbh, I'm so glad I got it now, you have a bathroom with shower, toilet, washbasin, heated towel rail! and shaving mirror which is absolutely fantastic to have there after a heavy night, the fact you can just roll out of bed in the morning into a shower. (or to the toilet in the middle of the night if you drank a little too much). Each flat has 6 rooms and the common area for the flat is a very spacious Kitchen / Dining Room. Kitchen is well equipped and (relatively) new looking.

If money is a bigger concern, then you may want to considor University Hall which is much cheaper, does not have a bathroom in your room and has a small kitchen/living area. But tbh, once you are settled in the size of your room / the living area really doesn't matter - you just get used to wherever you have chosen.

Couldn't really tell you much about the other two self catered halls.

Manor Hall and Goldney are both self-catered, however they are isolated from the other halls of residences and are the other side of the university campus, but they are a shorter walk (by about 10-15 mins).

Good choice choosing self-catered, catered is st00pid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    My opinion is bias because I went there but Durdham Hall is great. (tbh, you are going to enjoy it whatever hall you go into) Although I swear I had put down the cheaper University Hall as my first choice, I ended up getting Durdham Hall. Tbh, I'm so glad I got it now, you have a bathroom with shower, toilet, washbasin, heated towel rail! and shaving mirror which is absolutely fantastic to have there after a heavy night, the fact you can just roll out of bed in the morning into a shower. (or to the toilet in the middle of the night if you drank a little too much). Each flat has 6 rooms and the common area for the flat is a very spacious Kitchen / Dining Room. Kitchen is well equipped and (relatively) new looking.

If money is a bigger concern, then you may want to considor University Hall which is much cheaper, does not have a bathroom in your room and has a small kitchen/living area. But tbh, once you are settled in the size of your room / the living area really doesn't matter - you just get used to wherever you have chosen.

Couldn't really tell you much about the other two self catered halls.

Manor Hall and Goldney are both self-catered, however they are isolated from the other halls of residences and are the other side of the university campus, but they are a shorter walk (by about 10-15 mins).

Good choice choosing self-catered, catered is st00pid!
    Your argument is well justified.

OP check out the accomodation thread at the top of the University of Bristol sub forum. It starts off from 2005 or something but the last few pages are of students opinions from this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Your argument is well justified.

OP check out the accomodation thread at the top of the University of Bristol sub forum. It starts off from 2005 or something but the last few pages are of students opinions from this year.
    Well the OP had already said they are choosing self-catered. Catered accomodation seems to me to restrict your independance because you can't choose what to eat or when to eat it. Plus, you are going to have to learn to cook anyway in your second and third years when you live out of halls. You don't save any money in food overall going catered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Well the OP had already said they are choosing self-catered. Catered accomodation seems to me to restrict your independance because you can't choose what to eat or when to eat it. Plus, you are going to have to learn to cook anyway in your second and third years when you live out of halls. You don't save any money in food overall going catered.
    You've actually just mentioned all my arguements for Catered, lol. You can take two veiws to what you've said. You will eventually be completely independent, e.g. in your second year as you have said. So what's the point in throwing yourself at the deep end straightaway? I think leaving all your mates, living on your own, meeting new people and getting your course done is difficult enough without the added strain of cooking for yourself.
    You do save money going self-catered but it only a couple of hundred pounds in a year, I'd just rather save myself the hassle and just go catered. Don't get me wrong I love to cook, but at the end of a tiresome day I'd find it difficult to make myself something remotely good, I'd probably live off takeaways.
    Also it saves you hassle on budgeting as it's incorporated in the accomadation cost

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.