Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help for watching my shop's CCTV footage at home via internet Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to help my father in connecting the CCTV system he has in his shop to the internet, so we can view footage at home and other places via the internet.

The computer that the CCTV system is connected to has access to the internet through an Ethernet cable.

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd look here :

http://stream-recorder.com/forum/cct...-dvrs-f34.html

ReputationRep:
    how is the computer with the cctv connected to the internet?
    what router?

you could do a remote desktop connection, although im not sure how well this will work with video.
    alternatively, depending on how the cctv videos are output, you may be able to set up a web stream.

also, do you have a a dynamic or static IP address from your ISP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    how is the computer with the cctv connected to the internet?
    what router?

you could do a remote desktop connection, although im not sure how well this will work with video.
    alternatively, depending on how the cctv videos are output, you may be able to set up a web stream.

also, do you have a a dynamic or static IP address from your ISP?
    The computer with CCTV is connected by a basic Orange livebox modem via an ethernet cable.

I'm not sure about the nature of the IP address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agree to disagree)
    The computer with CCTV is connected by a basic Orange livebox modem via an ethernet cable.

I'm not sure about the nature of the IP address.
    cheap broadband packages usually have dynamic, which is a pain, as the address you need to connect is constantly changing.
    orange may provide a static address for an additional monthly charge.

this means the address you type to connect to the shop is always the same

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much all UK ISPs issue static, afaik

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Pretty much all UK ISPs issue static, afaik
    Most ISPs don't give you a static IP address unless you pay them extra. Certain ISPs (VM cable, for example) issue IP addresses dynamically but with long lifespans.

As for the OP's problem, we'd have to know more about the camera to help. If it has a web interface you can forward it on the router but remember to password it or you'll get random people on the internet watching it too!

ReputationRep:
    if u have the cams hooked up to a pc you could use
    logmein.com
    or you need to find a way to view your cams over IP

ReputationRep:
    Even if you have a dynamic address you could set up a free account at http://dyndns.com which will give you a static IP, or rather a static hostname which always points to your dynamic IP.
    Some routers have the ability to automatically do this for you eg the BThomeHub.

You could then access the CCTV through this hostname - provided the cameras have this functionality.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.