Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am in an awful mood right now and it is worrying me because I feel so awful I think I might become self destructive or turn to drugs/alcohol to get out of this mindset.

A relationship I'm in atm has triggered my low mood... I guess when things get rocky or we have an argument, I blame myself, and I get very self concious and question everything I'm doing. I keep feeling like he doesnt want me anymore, but he's given me no reason to suspect this. It is just making me hate myself and is putting a strain on our relationship.
    I want to be with him, but I feel like because of how awful the thought of losing him is, I keep thinking I might end it suddenly, just so I dont have a chance of losing him anymore because I would have done it myself...
    Basically my self worth is ruining my relationship.
    I guess I feel alone with the problem and wondered if anyone else felt the same aswel.
    Anon or delete please

ReputationRep:
    I know what it's like to have low self esteem...and it's hard to get out of that way of thinking, but it's totally worth it in the long run. If you're willing to give it a go and try, you can slowly love yourself a little bit more each day.

Firstly, it's good to have support. Talk to your boyfriend, a close friend, family member or even a dr/nurse/counsellor. It might help to have some professional support on a regular basis, just going to talk to a counsellor once a fortnight or something.

Little things like making a list of all your good points - it's pretty old fashioned and stuff but it's all about positivity and that is so much stronger than negative thoughts. An old teacher asked us in school to write "I am wonderful" on a piece of paper and stick it to our mirrors. It's just a step towards thinking better of yourself, trying to believe it a bit more each day.

Depression is serious, and if you're thinking of doing something destructive seek help. There's the Samaritans (http://www.samaritans.org/) which you can text/e-mail/ring, whatever works best for you.

I know this is really hard to do but I hope you find the strength to seek help because you deserve it. Depression is a big ****** black hole and it can be hard to get out of alone sometimes. PM me if you want any other links or anything. Good luck.

(Original post by lostdoll)
    I know what it's like to have low self esteem...and it's hard to get out of that way of thinking, but it's totally worth it in the long run. If you're willing to give it a go and try, you can slowly love yourself a little bit more each day.

Firstly, it's good to have support. Talk to your boyfriend, a close friend, family member or even a dr/nurse/counsellor. It might help to have some professional support on a regular basis, just going to talk to a counsellor once a fortnight or something.

Little things like making a list of all your good points - it's pretty old fashioned and stuff but it's all about positivity and that is so much stronger than negative thoughts. An old teacher asked us in school to write "I am wonderful" on a piece of paper and stick it to our mirrors. It's just a step towards thinking better of yourself, trying to believe it a bit more each day.

Depression is serious, and if you're thinking of doing something destructive seek help. There's the Samaritans (http://www.samaritans.org/) which you can text/e-mail/ring, whatever works best for you.

I know this is really hard to do but I hope you find the strength to seek help because you deserve it. Depression is a big ****** black hole and it can be hard to get out of alone sometimes. PM me if you want any other links or anything. Good luck.
    I would appreciate any other links you have for sure. I am going to try the tip with the mirror message aswell. Thank you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.