Turn on thread page Beta

Starting Strength Q's watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, well basically i'm starting staritng strength next week and wandered if you guys could answer some questions please.

Week 1:
    Monday - Workout A
    Wednesday -Workout B
    Friday - Workout A

Week 2:
    Monday - Workout B
    Wednesday - Workout A
    Friday - Workout B

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    2x5-8 dips (only add weight if you are doing >10 bodyweight dips)

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Pendlay Rows (or power cleans for 5x3, 5 sets of 3 reps apiece)
    2x5-8 chinups ***if you do the power cleans, do 3 sets of chinups***

Fridays only (Not earlier than 3 weeks into program) -
    Parallel Bar dips or incline skullcrushers - 2 x 8-12
    barbell/DB/EZ-Bar curls - 2 x 8-12

I got this from a different heres the link if you want to have a look, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=750551

So questions

IS this an okay programme to follow for the next 2-3 months or more?
    Its 3 sets of 5 but is it my 5RM?
    Why only 1 set of 5 for deadlift? and can I increase it to 2 or 3 sets?

and finally are there any exercises I can swap with chin ups and dips? Because I can't do them.

ReputationRep:
    This program is fine to follow for as long as you can. By that I mean until you can no longer make gains on it anymore. 2-3 months is nothing, you should be able to get 4-5 months at least if you're eating and resting enough.

For the first couple weeks, no, it will NOT be your 5RM. This is why it pays to get the actual book and stop looking up bodybuilder websites. At the very least check out the Starting Strength Wiki page. Google it. You can't do 3 sets of your 5RM anyway. Your starting weight is a very specific technique. Start with the bar and do 5 reps. Add weight and do another 5 reps. Add about 2.5-5.0kg each time until the speed of the bar starts to slow down. When the bar speed starts to slow, that is your first work set. Do 2 more sets at this weight and that is your first session starting weight.

For deadlift, keep it at 1 set. You need to go heavy on this one and each session will become your 5rm very quickly.

You don't need to do dips or chins, it's not strictly part of the program. If you can't do them but you want to do them, you need an assistance machine. Or bands. I didn't add them into my routine, though I may in the future.

Take the sill-ass curls and skull crushers off and just stick to the routine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruce_Bateman)
    IS this an okay programme to follow for the next 2-3 months or more?
    Yes.

The common recommendation is to follow it for as long as you see gains, then when you plateau think about modifying the program.

Its 3 sets of 5 but is it my 5RM?
    It's aimed at complete novices so in most instances you're talking about starting only with the bar (to learn form) and then add weight. If you're more advanced by all means start higher but it will make progression more difficult and you will stall quicker (you're almost better off starting slightly lower).

Why only 1 set of 5 for deadlift? and can I increase it to 2 or 3 sets?
    DLs are a very demanding exercise. As you start lifting heavier the volume will increase and you will find it harder to recover between workouts and/or to push the poundages up. 1x5 is a more efficient way of developing your DL numbers (in this program) so why bother changing it when all you stand to do is make things worse rather than better?

and finally are there any exercises I can swap with chin ups and dips? Because I can't do them.
    They're a supplemental exercise, they aren't essential and aren't recommended straight off the bat for beginners (normally you allow a few weeks before integrating them).

Assisted dips or chins using resistance bands and/or an assisted chin/dip machine are a good alternative, or simply doing negatives or partials. Another is to sub them for curls and/or skull crushers.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks alot for the replies and answers guys, I will start this routine with the ammendments and might start a blog. Thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    You can't even do one dip or chin-up? It's all about progression. Do them assisted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    You can't even do one dip or chin-up? It's all about progression. Do them assisted.
    Honestly I might be able to push one for some reason I just can't do them I can't lift my own weight of about 85kg. It may have something to do with that I have never done weights the correct way only going into the school gym and mucking about.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Regarding dips, I've heard some say that if you cannot do these then do close hammer grip dumbbell decline bench presses, but others have said that Rippetoe says that they are not a suitable replacement for dips. I don't know, maybe someone who has read Starting Strength can answer.

ReputationRep:
    Dips aren't necessary in this program. If you haven't got the machine for assisted dips/chins then there's little point worrying about them anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    And also as you get stronger on the main lifts you'll probably get better at doing the chins/dips without actually doing them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    And also as you get stronger on the main lifts you'll probably get better at doing the chins/dips without actually doing them anyway.
    Sometimes. However weight gain can counter this to some extent. You may still be able to only do the same or a couple of more but you're still stronger because you've gained bodyweight.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.