Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically my mum's car that I use has a rather bad problem. Gears 1-4 are fine and it can go into 5th. However whenever we try to change down it will not go in ANY gear at all. It makes this really clenching sound (sorta like you get if you've whacked it into reverse too hard) and the only way (only sometimes works) is to put it into neutral, take your foot completely off the cluch, back down again and put into gear. Thus my mum rides at 70mph in 4th gear for this reason (I know it's not too good...the revs reach just under 4!)

So basically, thanks for reading, and anyone got any suggestions what is wrong, short of a new gearbox needed (since we can't afford this.)

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    You sure you're not coming off the clutch to quickly " Popping the clutch " ?. Sounds like you need a new transmission or rebuild though. Sounds like your syncro's are worn out.

That's all the help I can give I'm afraid , hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    how does it act if you try work through the gears when at a standstill?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the box is old and can't realign itself propperly.

Shift out of fifth into neutral and let the clutch up, put it back down and then try for another gear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Sounds like the box is old and can't realign itself propperly.

Shift out of fifth into neutral and let the clutch up, put it back down and then try for another gear.
    That's what she's doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    You sure you're not coming off the clutch to quickly " Popping the clutch " ?. Sounds like you need a new transmission or rebuild though. Sounds like your syncro's are worn out.

That's all the help I can give I'm afraid , hope this helps
    Nope cos both me and my mum have tried slowly and stuff. My mum's been driving for ages so I don't think she's doing anything wrong. Gaah. New car then I think (lucky neighbours just bought new galaxy!) Thanks for the bad news :P

(Original post by jaw)
    how does it act if you try work through the gears when at a standstill?
    Actually I don't know. I think it's ok, (when I first started to drive I practiced the gears) I'll double check tomorrow though. What would it be, dya think, if it worked whilst stationary?

--

Oiit Elementric, womaaan here :P

ReputationRep:
    Might just be something simple like a slightly misaligned selector or something? If you can work around it though, it doens't cost you any money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minardi)
    Might just be something simple like a slightly misaligned selector or something? If you can work around it though, it doens't cost you any money
    The trouble is, probably the only way to find out for definate is go to a garage and if they say it's completely knackered they aren't gonna let us drive it away!

That's true though if the engine explodes....!

ReputationRep:
    I thought cars like that had character? Its not a bad thing.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    That's what he's doing
    Didn't read the first post propperly.
    I only read symptoms in these threads. I can't be bothered to read the rest of the waffle.

Anyway... proves the box is knacked.
    The reason it only sometimes works is because when lifting the clutch in neutral the engine revs are only sometimes matched to the roadspeed neccesary for the next gear.

New gearbox time or learn how to double declutch propperly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Didn't read the first post propperly.
    I only read symptoms in these threads. I can't be bothered to read the rest of the waffle.

Anyway... proves the box is knacked.
    The reason it only sometimes works is because when lifting the clutch in neutral the engine revs are only sometimes matched to the roadspeed neccesary for the next gear.

New gearbox time or learn how to double declutch propperly!
    That where you skip down gears? What's that gotta do with 5th? My mum changes from gear to gear cos that's how she was taught.

ReputationRep:
    It's very rewarding learning how to double de-clutch properly nor is it really difficult at all, mind you I was taught to double de-clutch from the word go. You will also not be putting so much strain on components.

I have noticed people are often not taught these techniques though and that is rather sad not people are being taught to mearly "pilot" a car rather than drive it.

Porscha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    That where you skip down gears? What's that gotta do with 5th? My mum changes from gear to gear cos that's how she was taught.
    Simply, when you shift to 5th the box moves onto an overdrive ratio gear which is on a different layshaft.
    When your mum tries to come back into 4th the box is so worn on both the synchro hubs and middle set of gears that the car wont physically go into gear.

By raising the clutch in neutral with the engine at higher revs, the first motion shaft of the gearbox changes speed. So, when she attempts to go for fourth the synchro mesh isnt needed. Gearbox and engine speed match road speed.

She's got the right idea.
    Tell her to bring the revs up a bit when she lifts the clutch in neutral after coming out of fifth. It should slide back into fourth a bit easier then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    It's very rewarding learning how to double de-clutch properly nor is it really difficult at all, mind you I was taught to double de-clutch from the word go. You will also not be putting so much strain on components.

I have noticed people are often not taught these techniques though and that is rather sad not people are being taught to mearly "pilot" a car rather than drive it.

Porscha
    Well you weren't born in the 50's when people weren't taught skipping out gears. Not sure how you can comment on that tbh...I do it all the time but then I was taught 'properly' :rolleyes:

(Original post by JC.)
    Simply, when you shift to 5th the box moves onto an overdrive ratio gear which is on a different layshaft.
    When your mum tries to come back into 4th the box is so worn on both the synchro hubs and middle set of gears that the car wont physically go into gear.

By raising the clutch in neutral with the engine at higher revs, the first motion shaft of the gearbox changes speed. So, when she attempts to go for fourth the synchro mesh isnt needed. Gearbox and engine speed match road speed.

She's got the right idea.
    Tell her to bring the revs up a bit when she lifts the clutch in neutral after coming out of fifth. It should slide back into fourth a bit easier then.
    I shall do, thanks a lot. Understand it more now. I may avoid the gear cos personally I don't wanna be lifting my foot off at 60mph just in case it's not in neutral!!!

ReputationRep:
    lilangel - I think you have the wrong idea of what double de-clutching is It was a technique that was NEEDED on cars without syncro mesh gears, i.e. very old cars! You have confused it with block-changing.

I'll try to explain double de-clutching -

Let off the throttle, press the clutch in, into to neutral.
    Let out the clutch.
    Blip the throttle.
    Press the clutch in.
    As the revs decrease to match the transmission speed, put into gear.
    Let the clutch out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    lilangel - I think you have the wrong idea of what double de-clutching is It was a technique that was NEEDED on cars without syncro mesh gears, i.e. very old cars! You have confused it with block-changing.

I'll try to explain double de-clutching -

Let off the throttle, press the clutch in, into to neutral.
    Let out the clutch.
    Blip the throttle.
    Press the clutch in.
    As the revs decrease to match the transmission speed, put into gear.
    Let the clutch out.

This. Give double declutching a go - it's really very easy.

ReputationRep:
    I would add to Porscha!'s advice in that there's a bit more to it than just "blip the throttle". You are trying to get the engine revs up (and consequently the gearbox internals) up to the speed they will be cruising at when the gearbox slots into the new gear.

Other than that, as above.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.