Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can you suggest me any topic that you can think of as extended essay in english, i am kind a desperate and i really cant find or think of anything

like these

n exploration of Jane Austen's use of the outdoors in Emma

The Empowerment of the Feminine in JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings

How and why have Sylvia Plath in The Bell Jar and Charlotte Perkins Gilman in The Yellow Wallpaper used inanimate objects as motifs for female madness?

"Slaughterhouse Five" and "The Things They Carried"
    as Anti-War Novels

Symbolism in John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath"

The Influence of the Supporting Cast of "Cinderella" on
    the Story as a Whole

Dance in Jane Austen’s novels
    “What are the role and the significance of dance in Pride and Prejudice
    and Emma?”

Death in Emily Brontë’s and Emily Dickinson’s poetry
    “How is the subject of death treated in selected poems by Emily Brontë
    and Emily Dickinson?”

Fiction and history in Blaise Cendrars’ L’Or
    “How and why does Cendrars modify facts and rewrite history in his first
    novel?”

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but the extended essay topic should be something you decide. It's far, far, far too difficult to give a total stranger a topic that person might even remotely like, and that being said, it's difficult enough for all of us to find a topic.

Advice:
    1. Pick a novel/play/poem (or set of) to work with, which you hopefully enjoy reading.
    2. Decide upon which aspect you would like to discuss, e.g. symbolism, setting, use of tool, character development, catharsis, plot development, costume, lyrical aspects, etc, etc, etc.
    3. If stuck, pick some novels using a similar tool/aspect, and work your way through their use e.g. the use of unreliable narration in two novels for a certain effect.
    4. Read and reread those books to find ample sources which aren't coveted in e.g. sparknotes. Brainstorm: think (i'm referring to unreliable narration), "why does the author use this tool? is it to alienate the reader? force him to realize what is true? cause him to dislike the storyteller?" etc.

I hope this helps even remotely and am stuck in the same boat as you I've been reading countless novels (mostly plays), literary criticism tutorials and literary theory.
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It is better to compare a theme between two novels, that you can have more to write and can better use your tools of literacy devices.

ReputationRep:
    Did you read 'Lord of the Flies' ?

Full of very interesting things to write about!

Just a suggestion !

Good luck

: )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.