Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I still do not understand how the A* A-level system works? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How does the A* system work?
    is it 90% A*? or even higher ?!
    Help! I need somebody... Help!

ReputationRep:
    An average of 80% across all your modules, with an average of 90% across your A2 modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    An average of 80% across all your modules, with an average of 90% across your A2 modules.
    This, but in Maths you need 90%+ in C3 and C4 and then 80% average in the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topaz_eyes)
    This, but in Maths you need 90%+ in C3 and C4 and then 80% average in the rest.
    C3 and C4 are the (only) A2 modules in maths. Both applied modules (like S1 and M1) are considered AS modules to the board, even though you sit on in your A2 year.

ReputationRep:
    C3 and C4 are the (only) A2 modules in maths. Both applied modules (like S1 and M1) are considered AS modules to the board, even though you sit on in your A2 year.
    What if you sit a level two module, like M2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    What if you sit a level two module, like M2?
    Hmm. I think it's still the same. I'm fairly sure that the board treat the two applied modules as AS modules.

ReputationRep:
    they're counted as A2 modules, but because not everyone does them it wouldn't be fair to count them in the A* requirement, so its 90% across C3 and C4 for Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -G-a-v-)
    they're counted as A2 modules, but because not everyone does them it wouldn't be fair to count them in the A* requirement, so its 90% across C3 and C4 for Maths.
    Fair enough. Oh, and it confirms it here.

ReputationRep:
    Hey if say i got 89 in both c3 and c4 and retook in june, c4 and got 95 would i obtain the A* ?? i was told you have to get an average of 90 first time .....

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what's happening with Further Maths, though?
    Because you only do one A2 module ~ FP2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    Hey if say i got 89 in both c3 and c4 and retook in june, c4 and got 95 would i obtain the A* ?? i was told you have to get an average of 90 first time .....
    I think that's true - it has to be the first time - although I'm not 100% sure.
    (Original post by Topaz_eyes)
    Does anyone know what's happening with Further Maths, though?
    Because you only do one A2 module ~ FP2.
    I think a couple of the applied modules you do that are 'A2' modules, like S2, M2, D2 or any higher, will be counted? Or something along those lines. I'm only guessing though. Perhaps someone else knows, or you could always email your board.

ReputationRep:
    this is going to be so hard...to get A*...

ReputationRep:
    I think that's true - it has to be the first time - although I'm not 100% sure.

I think a couple of the applied modules you do that are 'A2' modules, like S2, M2, D2 or any higher, will be counted? Or something along those lines. I'm only guessing though. Perhaps someone else knows, or you could always email your board.
    I'm just going to ask my teacher in the Autumn... I'm probably going to get an A anyway, but I'm aiming for an A* in Maths, so.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering, if it is possible to still get an A* given the following circumstances:

i did this in january 2009

in Year 11 I did c1,c2, c3, and m1

I got over 90's in c1 and c2, but in c3 and m1 I did not

I need to retake c3, I was just wondering will the above the affect me, as I have done it this year in year 11?

will the first time thing affect me in any way?

thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulexk)
    Hi, I was just wondering, if it is possible to still get an A* given the following circumstances:

i did this in january 2009

in Year 11 I did c1,c2, c3, and m1

I got over 90's in c1 and c2, but in c3 and m1 I did not

I need to retake c3, I was just wondering will the above the affect me, as I have done it this year in year 11?

will the first time thing affect me in any way?

thank you!
    For A*
    You need to AVERAGE 80 UMS across the 6 AS and A2 units
    You need to AVERAGE 90 UMS in C3/C4
    This attachment explains that for OCR-MEI, but all awarding bodies use the same rules as shown in the QCDA link:

L_GCE_Maths_MEI_FAQs.pdf
    http://testsandexams.qcda.gov.uk/lib...evelsFINAL.pdf

Nowhere in any documents I've read from QCDA, JCQ, Edexcel or OCR does it state that you cannot include resit results to achieve A*. I think it's a myth. Do bear in mind though that some universities do have a no-resit policy for entry to some very competitive courses. If you are concerned about A* you are probably applying to one of these universities. You should check the entry details for the courses you intend to apply for before resitting C3.

If you just missed the 90% on C3 you may be able to make it up by doing exceptionally well on C4, but this is a high risk strategy!

ReputationRep:
    ANYONE WHO STILL DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE A* DOESN'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT GETTING ANY A*s!

There, I said it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xerophelistica)
    ANYONE WHO STILL DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE A* DOESN'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT GETTING ANY A*s!

There, I said it!

I was going to rep you for this post, but then I remembered I still don't understand what's happening with WJEC maths.

ARE THEY OFFERING THE A* OR WHAT?! INCLUDE IT IN YOUR SPECIFICATION PLEASE!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.