Turn on thread page Beta

reversing around a corner - quick question watch

ReputationRep:
    During my lessons I have only ever been asked to reverse around a corner on the left NEVER reverse around a corner on the right. In th test, has anyone ever been asked to do a right hand corner reverse??

ReputationRep:
    No.

Unless of course you turn up for test in a van without rear side windows. Even so, you should learn how to do this anyway with your instructor as it could come in useful after your test if you need to turn round and the left hand roads are all blocked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweethunni01)
    During my lessons I have only ever been asked to reverse around a corner on the left NEVER reverse around a corner on the right. In th test, has anyone ever been asked to do a right hand corner reverse??
    i only got taught left too.

If it was right, you'd be on the wrong side of the road, unless it was one way

ReputationRep:
    You'll never be asked to reverse around a right hand corner. My driving instructor told me that

As far as I'm aware, a right hand reverse is only on the advanced driving tests.

Any examiner that asks you to reverse around a right corner is a fruitloop and should have their clipboard inserted where custom's men have to probe

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know you would never be asked that! My instructor has taught me both ways but with a much greater emphasis on the left-hand reverse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweethunni01)
    No because... it is illegal to reverse from a Minor road into a Major road.

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought this through?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum Honisett)
    I didn't know you would never be asked that! My instructor has taught me both ways but with a much greater emphasis on the left-hand reverse.
    Really? Reversing round a corner from the right seems a foolish and pointless manoeuvre. He may as well have been teaching you how to do doughnuts on the motorway. I have no idea why the teach it even for advanced tests to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Also... If you reverse round a right-hand bend you'll either be:

A) On the wrong side of the road, or
    B) You'll be crossing the road, backwards.

ReputationRep:
    The manoeuver is called 'reverse left' ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    No because... it is illegal to reverse from a Minor road into a Major road.
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Really? Reversing round a corner from the right seems a foolish and pointless manoeuvre. He may as well have been teaching you how to do doughnuts on the motorway. I have no idea why the teach it even for advanced tests to be honest.
    (Original post by Samalama)
    Also... If you reverse round a right-hand bend you'll either be:

A) On the wrong side of the road, or
    B) You'll be crossing the road, backwards.

Dear oh dear.. you've all got the wrong end of the stick.

The right reverse is still a reverse from the major road into a minor road on the right, just that you're parked on the right and reversing with your offside wheels against the kerb. You don't cross any roads in reverse, just reverse along the kerbline slowly and carefully with effective observations so that there's no risk.

From the examiners' guidance notes: "For a right-hand reverse, the candidate should be asked to pull up on the left well before the road on the right into which they are to reverse. They should be asked to continue on the left until they are past the road, then move across to the right-hand side of the road to reverse into it. They should continue in reverse gear well down the side road, keeping reasonably close to the right-hand kerb. It is important that the candidate reverses well down the side road because, in moving forward after completing the manoeuvre, they have to regain the left-hand side of the road.
    The candidate should show proper care for the safety of other road users while reversing."

ReputationRep:
    You do cover the right reverse round a corner on the advanced test, it's generally not covered much because it's a bit easier than using the near (left) side owing to the greater visibility that you have.
    I can't see why anyone would automatically assume that the right reverse would be onto a major road, as far as I can see that hasn't been implied anywhere on the thread...
    If the road is clear and it is safe and legal to do so, there's no problem pulling across to the right hand side and reversing into a smaller road to the right; you will still be reversing with, rather than against, traffic. The problems can come if you stop too close to the corner as you are now on the opposite side of the road to the direction that you are driving.
    As the intention of the move is to allow you to turn around without using a turn in the road, it's only really done where the road is very narrow and you will generally be moving off immediately.
    Personally, the only timea I've ever done right hand reversing were for parking; I can generally find a handy left hand lane to use to turn around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Dear oh dear.. you've all got the wrong end of the stick.

The right reverse is still a reverse from the major road into a minor road on the right, just that you're parked on the right and reversing with your offside wheels against the kerb. You don't cross any roads in reverse, just reverse along the kerbline slowly and carefully with effective observations so that there's no risk.

From the examiners' guidance notes: "For a right-hand reverse, the candidate should be asked to pull up on the left well before the road on the right into which they are to reverse. They should be asked to continue on the left until they are past the road, then move across to the right-hand side of the road to reverse into it. They should continue in reverse gear well down the side road, keeping reasonably close to the right-hand kerb. It is important that the candidate reverses well down the side road because, in moving forward after completing the manoeuvre, they have to regain the left-hand side of the road.
    The candidate should show proper care for the safety of other road users while reversing."
    Well put! It is a manoeuvre that can be tested as can be seen in the DL25
    http://www.johnexley.co.uk/DL25.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Probably because he wants to be thorough in everything he does. Since he instructs police fast driving and has his own driving school thing I think he should know what he is doing.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I find it amusing that for most of you when you go to a supermarket you will only be able to park on spaces on the left. FOOLS. How is 90* parking into a space on the right any different to reversing around a corner? Harder in fact. I much prefer reversing 90* into a space on my right because I can open my window and lean out to see precisely how close I can cut it (important when you're driving my car, it has the turning circle of an oil tanker). Or what about if you're in an estate, say, with narrow but generally empty roads and you need to turn around, and the only way to turn around is to reverse right. How narrow minded and ignorant to say that you never need to reverse to the right around a corner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Haha I find it amusing that for most of you when you go to a supermarket you will only be able to park on spaces on the left. FOOLS. How is 90* parking into a space on the right any different to reversing around a corner? Harder in fact. I much prefer reversing 90* into a space on my right because I can open my window and lean out to see precisely how close I can cut it (important when you're driving my car, it has the turning circle of an oil tanker).
    I'm not saying that a right reverse is unnecessary, but could you not just drive forward into the space instead of reversing into it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    I'm not saying that a right reverse is unnecessary, but could you not just drive forward into the space instead of reversing into it?
    Well you can but then you'll be reversing from a safer space (the parking space) into a more dangerous one (the road/parking lanes). The only time I can see nosey parking into a space (nose first) as a good thing is if you think you’re going to need to use the boot and there’s no space behind the car.
    I generally feel it’s better to reverse in, partly as it’s generally safer but also because up here in winter you want to do all of the manoeuvring you can while the engine is warm and not faff about trying to see if it’s clear to reverse out when you get in; I also got into the habit down in the Falklands because it’s an offence to park the work vehicles nose in down there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    But then you have to reverse to the right to get out of it and go the right way around the car park... (assuming that, as most car parks do, it has a one way system around it)

ReputationRep:
    In a practical test you won't be asked to reverse RIGHT.

But it's always good to know how to do it though It's just pretty much the same, but going right :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Haha I find it amusing that for most of you when you go to a supermarket you will only be able to park on spaces on the left. FOOLS. How is 90* parking into a space on the right any different to reversing around a corner? Harder in fact. I much prefer reversing 90* into a space on my right because I can open my window and lean out to see precisely how close I can cut it (important when you're driving my car, it has the turning circle of an oil tanker). Or what about if you're in an estate, say, with narrow but generally empty roads and you need to turn around, and the only way to turn around is to reverse right. How narrow minded and ignorant to say that you never need to reverse to the right around a corner.
    To start with there aren't cars emerging from or trying to turn into your parking space. :yes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.