Turn on thread page Beta

    am considering oxford application next year (am taking a year out to travel and gonna apply for uni next year). think i want to read PPE, it looks pretty interesting.

    was wondering about colleges and tuition within them. if the lecturers at your college have different interests from what u study, can u still do it? i dont wanna get to a college and find out i have to study stuff im not as interested in as other stuff!!

    my college doesnt say much about research interests when people choose colleges. all they seem to say is dont pick the same college as someone else doing same subject and somewhere u like the look of. how many people get into their first choice college?

    thanks to anyone whos got any advice/comments.
    Suzi xXx

    All colleges offer PPE, and the research interests of the dons at the college you pick will not affect the options within the subject you might take if you get in. Just because they are researching certain areas does not mean that they are unable to teach other areas at undergraduate level. Also not all tutorials will necessarily take place within your own college.

    Four-fifths of successful applicants get offers from their first choice college. In choosing a college you might also wish to consider the applications to places ratio and what the alternative prospectus etc. says.

    Research interests of tutors doesn't matter so much at undergraduate level. However, if you know that you have a specific interest in a certain paper that you definitely want to do and you don't want to have to travel miles to tutorials for it (like I do - flippin LMH!!!!) then you might like to choose a college where there is a tutor who can at least teach it. But its really not that big a deal; you will most likely be sent elsewhere for tutes occasionally anyway.

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course


Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.