Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How long did it take you to learn the stuff for the theory test? How soon should I book my test do you think?

Also, is there a site where you can stick your postcode in and it tells you your nearest test centre, because the only one I can find is an alphabetical list.

Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Couple of minutes in the car to remember braking distances, the rest of it was pretty much either common sense or the most descriptive answer that fits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Couple of minutes in the car to remember braking distances, the rest of it was pretty much either common sense or the most descriptive answer that fits.
    Nobody I know had stopping/breaking distances come up.

Don't be fooled OP - even though people call it easy there are quite a few bits and bobs to learn.

ReputationRep:
    yeah stopping distances and some road signs i wud reccomend learning and defo get some practice for hazard perception! i found it quite hard but after a few clips its easy peasy lol

ReputationRep:
    so how long do you think?

An hour a day for a week? Two weeks? More?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    0 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    it's actually easy. every one says its easy for a reason because it is EASY. the night before or a couple nights before just read over the high way code signs and stuff. the rests easy.

Hazard perception is pretty easy. if u can do a lil mock before liek the night before then do it if not you don't need any practise really.

ReputationRep:
    I was practicing for 1 month prior to the test. I did about 40 practice tests and 10 hazard perception tests. All but 2 of the questions i got on the day i had done before multiple times, and i got 1 of those 2 wrong and 1 right, so i got 49/50 for that part. It was REALLY easy, dont worry and enough practice makes it better. Hazard Per i got 50/75, it isnt as easy but the Official DSA clips are much more staged and easier to spot.

ReputationRep:
    Best way to judge how long it will take you is to buy the material, have a flick through and see how much you already know and what you need to work on. Then you can work out a reasonable timescale to learn what you don't know

ReputationRep:
    About a month in all - I hadn't done any form of driving before hand. I've done first aid courses so that was pie easy, popped into a mechanics to ask them a few questions about cars, stopping distances I learnt a neat way to remember them, the rest is common sense. I got 48/50 and 64/75, but I did have two clips where sheep randomly walked onto the road :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    You can find them on the Direct.Gov website, and it might be a good idea to get one of the computer disks where you can work on your Hazard Perception, it's easy, but it's good to know that you can do it when you walk in there

ReputationRep:
    I did revision the night before - 2 teory tests and 2 hazard perceptions.

Passed first time and got 48/50 for theory and 54/75 for hazard perception.

It's basic common sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    This... It took me about 5 minutes the night before.. I passed it 4 marks off full marks...

ReputationRep:
    Personally I spent the afternoon/evening before going through all the multiple choice questions in my theory book and making notes of the ones I got wrong, and I did a few practice hazard perceptions. All of the multiple choice questions that came up I'd seen before so I got 50/50 and hazard perception I got 51/75...

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a couple of weeks before to be properly prepared, although as a lot of people have said it's mostly common sense.
    In answer to your question about test centres, do you not already know where your local one is? If not your driving instructor will be able to tell you.

ReputationRep:
    An evening.

The ones I didn't get were just queer stuff thrown in for no good reason. Some bizarre environmentalist crap, then one about first aid or something. Load of nonsense.

I rote learned stopping distances, but they weren't asked.

ReputationRep:
    its pretty easy, i read the highway code for about an hour, road signs & things that werent so obvious, passed easily with 47/50 for theory & 63/75 for hazard perception which everyone passes anyway
    but there can be some wierd questions... its just luck really, depends what questions you get

ReputationRep:
    I think I spent a day practicing, but only because I was ill the day before my test.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.