Turn on thread page Beta

Tounge Piercings - do they hurt ? watch

ReputationRep:
    i want to get my tounge pierced really bad just the initial idea makes me all squeemish, i've had ear piercings and a tatoo just not sure i can through with it even though i like how it looks :| just wanted to know how bad on a scale of 1 to 10 it hurts and has many people had any bad problems with their piercings afterwards.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    No idea, never had it done, but I did once bite through my tongue. Now that hurt.

I reckon a piercing would hurt less than that. Depends on your pain threshold, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any idea about the pain thing, but as far as bad experiences go... When I was in hospital last summer I saw a girl come in to A&E with a completely swollen up tongue from having it pierced. I think it was something to do with hitting a nerve because they pierced too far back?

I've seen more than one person have that happen. I do know other people though who have had it done and had no problems. They heal up really quickly because of the saliva in your mouth (So don't take it out for any extended length of time if you do have it done).

Good luck, I guess? Try and get someone to do it who you know has done other people you know, successfully, perhaps if you decide to get it done.

ReputationRep:
    Hey you
    I absolutely love my tounge piercing! It didn't hurt at all, I actually think it hurt more when I pierced my ears!!

It was hard to eat the first 2 days, but got used to it pretty fast, and you get a smaller labret after 2 weeks, which makes it helluva lot easier to eat and such.
    I used mouth-wash (the one they recommend at the piercing studio) once a day for 2 weeks. No stress, and I haven't had any problems at all.

Some times during the first week, I accidently chewed on it. You don't after a while, you get used to it being there. I don't ever think about it, it's just there.

Good luck, it does NOT hurt, and totally worth it
    (Btw, they have vibrating piercings too, your bf will be well pleased, trust me!) :P

ReputationRep:
    Mine never hurt but i had it numed first. it can be a lil painfull wen u eat and difficult to because how swollen it is. i had mine done 7 years now you forget its even there after the bars been changed

ReputationRep:
    oh and if you smoke you have carry a bottle of mouthwash cos u have to swill your mouth out everytime u have a fag, da worse bit i thought was sitting in the waiting room while they were sterlising everything thats when i got scared

ReputationRep:
    The actual piercing process does not hurt at all, if it's done correctly.

Make sure you thoroughly research which piercer to go to first, as you don't want it to go wrong in such a sensitive area.

If you think about the tongue as a sponge with veins running through it, the idea of the piercing is NOT to pierce a vein, but to pierce a plain bit of "sponge" so the needle quite literally just pushes through the cushion/ sponge that is your tongue and it doesn't hurt at all. It's a quick pinch and it's all over, but it's vital it's done in the right place (and to do that, you need a good piercer).

It does hurt, however, when it starts to swell and you try to talk too much and eat certain things. That's can be over fairly quickly though, depending on what you do to look after it.

A quick tip from experience - I was told to avoid dairy, to eat ice cream (lol love the fact that the piercer completely contradicted himself there), put lots of ice on it, eat soups etc., clean my tongue with salt water and special mouthwash 3 times a day and whatever else.

None of that worked for me at all - the soup was too hot and it got underneath the piercing anyway, even when it had cooled. Ice cream... meh, there's only so much of it you can eat and again it just seeped into the piercing. I did use ice a fair bit but after a while it got annoying as I have sensitive teeth.

The thing that really sped up my tongue's healing was eating fresh fruit and veg - it boosts your immune system and really kickstarts the healing process, plus the juices quite often cleanse your mouth nicely just make sure you eat on the sides of your mouth with your molars and avoid having food in the centre of your mouth or on your piercing.

With regards to the cleaning solution they'll probably provide you with and the salt water solution... I prefer to let things heal naturally - I made sure that after I'd eaten there was no food left around the piercing or in it, but generally I would only use mild salt water once a day and occasionally mouthwash at night (like every 2 days) which I sometimes do when cleaning my teeth anyway. Cleaning the tongue too much will disrupt its natural healing as it will remove all the good bacteria from it and aggravate the piercing.

Also, you will no doubt end up biting your piercing a couple of times before it's changed to a smaller bar so just be aware of that and try not to chip your teeth. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Youre having a needle pushed through half an inch of flesh of it does. Anyone who says otherwise is lying or can't remember.

ReputationRep:
    I watched my sister have hers done in Camden a few weeks ago. Easy peasy. She didn't even flinch.
    She was fine to talk and eat and smoke. We just had to buy her alcohol free mouthwash so she could rinse after every fag lol.

If you go somewhere reputable, you shouldn't have a problem - if you do, they should be able to sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about a "tounge" piercing hurting but I would think that a tongue piercing would.

ReputationRep:
    it doesn’t hurt when the needle goes through but the after pain hurts a little it last for about 10 days you have to eat liquid kind of foods and cool things like icepoles i’m 14 and i got mine peirced when i was 13 it’s really worth it after

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.