Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have realised why people cheat, and why monagamy is not a good idea watch

ReputationRep:
    I ALWAYS knew I was right. I seriously sometimes think of myself as a visionary or something, in terms of male/female interactions. I predict that in the future that the ridiculous and soul-destroying concept of a monogamous (spelling?) relationship will be exposed for what it is - peoples' fear of being alone and insecurity.

All you that have cheated or been cheated on, don't feel bad or guilty. Read this story:

One day, a scorpion set out on a journey until he reached a river.

He couldn't see any way across.

Suddenly, he saw a frog sitting in the rushes by the bank of the stream on the other side of the river. He decided to ask the frog for help getting across the stream.

"Hellooo Mr. Frog!" called the scorpion across the water, "Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?"

"Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?" asked the frog hesitantly.

"Because," the scorpion replied, "If I try to kill you, then I would die too, for you see I cannot swim!"

So the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river. He swam over to the bank and settled himself near the mud to pick up his passenger. The scorpion crawled onto the frog's back, his sharp claws prickling into the frog's soft hide, and the frog slid into the river. The muddy water swirled around them, but the frog stayed near the surface so the scorpion would not drown.

Halfway across the river, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the scorpion remove his stinger from the frog's back. A deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.

"You fool!" croaked the frog, "Now we shall both die! Why on earth did you do that?"

The scorpion shrugged, "I could not help myself. It is my nature."

ReputationRep:
    Wrong

ReputationRep:
    :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    Wait, what?

ReputationRep:
    that poor frog...

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Someone watches too much Star Trek Voyager :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    This ******** again :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ Not entirely sure what that is. And it is something I said before, but never really known why I thought what I did - or if, indeed I was right.

Naw but seriously, I always thought, 'why are my views on this so different from the norm?'...I thought maybe I was just weird or something...but I'm not - you people have been conditioned to believe something that someone made up at some point in time. (Marriage, monogamy, dating etc), which goes against our nature. This fable just illustrates my point beautifully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Local_United_Fan)
    ^^^ Not entirely sure what that is.

Naw but seriously, I always thought, 'why are my views on this so different from the norm?'...I thought maybe I was just weird or something...but I'm not - you people have been conditioned to believe something that someone made up at some point in time. (Marriage, monogamy, dating etc), which goes against our nature. This fable just illustrates my point beautifully.
    We're all brainwashed? Right...

(Original post by Magnanimity)
    This ******** again :rolleyes:
    I never get hayfever

If by story you mean that men are predatory scorpions who simply cannot resist cheating, and women are slimy creatures who live to serve the scorpion, then yeah, great story :rolleyes:

Somebody hand this guy a nobel prize for literature?

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    We're all brainwashed? Right...
    Probably wouldn't go that far. But you do believe in something that goes against our human nature and is, fundamentally, wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how that story relates to "not wanting to be alone"...? Someone explain this to me please if I am missing the point lol :p:

Although I do agree, monogamous relationships aren't all they're cut out to be, unless there's children involved. I think being polyamorous in a casual, non-exclusive way is fine but proper open-relationships rarely work out for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    You've lost me. I for one enjoy being by myself a lot, does that make me some sort of non-humanoid being

ReputationRep:
    Stolen story is stolen. Bore on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    You've lost me. I for one enjoy being by myself a lot, does that make me some sort of non-humanoid being
    Local_United_Fan believes having a girlfriend or boyfriend and not shagging around means you go against nature and are brainwashed by Disney films if you want to actually be with a person for more than an orgasm.

That's the moral of the story, if exceptionally poorly illustrated by a story about a frog and a homocidal scorpion?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Local_United_Fan)
    Halfway across the river, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his neck and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the scorpion remove his stinger from the frog's neck. A deafening clicking began to assault his ears.

"click" croaked the frog, "Now we shall both die! click click Why on earth did you do that? click"

The scorpion shrugged, "I could not help myself."
    There's nothing wrong with monogamy except for people who want something else. The real lesson is that people should be honest about what they want and be prepared to challenge ideas such as a "relationship". This story sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    I never get hayfever

If by story you mean that men are predatory scorpions who simply cannot resist cheating, and women are slimy creatures who live to serve the scorpion, then yeah, great story :rolleyes:

Somebody hand this guy a nobel prize for literature?

:facepalm2:
    Lol - strong miscomprehension.

No - the point is that people will do what is in their nature, regardless of the consequences - its just the natural way of things, hence, people cheat, hence, its not fundamentally 'wrong', hence, monogamous relationships ARE fundamentally wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    Stolen story is stolen. Bore on.
    Overused meme is overused.

ReputationRep:
    Let me summarise Local_United_Fan's argument:

1) I like to Self-aggrandise. Self-aggrandising is fun.
    2) I think my personal view point is right (no ****)
    2) Ostensibly I have intrinsic powers of divination
    3) To express my point here is an allegory involving a frog, scorpion and mutual trust.
    4) In my story the scorpion betrays frog because it's "IN MY NATURE TO BE A **** LOL"
    5) Extension of my story to encompass human relationships
    6) Finally my revised story is posted on message boards accompanied by a big supercillious smile and hedonistic amounts of masturbation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.