Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have realised why people cheat, and why monagamy is not a good idea Watch

ReputationRep:
    Your argument seems far too cynical and unrefined. I too believe co-dependency is bad, but it is up to the individual to make sure they are not with somebody because they are afraid of being alone. You should love a person for who they are, not for the way they make you feel, and you should love them even if an intimate relationship later becomes incompatible. When you allow love to consume you, it does not escalate into romanticism, but degenerates into obsession.

If you can love somebody like this, and be loved like this in return, then that makes you more virtuous than 99% of people in the world ... I do believe monogomy is still something to aspire to!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh all these wordy counter-arguments. I think ppl on here think too much sometimes. ******* different people is IN YOUR NATURE...can';t you see that? Thats all that matters, thats it - anything else, marriage etc is just religious propaganda, and you people have all bought into it, and thus your sex life, and happiness suffers.

I mean how many of you now are single, genuinely happy, and could go out right now, or this evening and have a reasonable chance of finding a quality sexual partner? I could. The sad truth is that most people are either frustrated and lonely, or in a relationship which, were it to end, they would be frustrated and lonely. I do not have that problem. I am living the way nature intended me to live, I truly believe everyone should so the same.

ReputationRep:
    So what about animals who have monogomous relationships? Is that against nature?! :rolleyes:

People who want monogamous relationships can have them, people who dont want to dont have to. Why do you feel the need to talk ****?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Local_United_Fan)
    Ahh all these wordy counter-arguments. I think ppl on here think too much sometimes. ******* different people is IN YOUR NATURE...can';t you see that? Thats all that matters, thats it - anything else, marriage etc is just religious propaganda, and you people have all bought into it, and thus your sex life, and happiness suffers.

I mean how many of you now are single, genuinely happy, and could go out right now, or this evening and have a reasonable chance of finding a quality sexual partner? I could. The sad truth is that most people are either frustrated and lonely, or in a relationship which, were it to end, they would be frustrated and lonely. I do not have that problem. I am living the way nature intended me to live, I truly believe everyone should so the same.
    Shorter argument:

You can't use a fable to argue anything. I could just as easily rewrite that exactly but change it so that the scorpion doesn't sting the frog, they get to the other side and its a wonderful story about what can be achieved with cooperation and trust. You can't make up a story to prove a point :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzaa)
    Let me summarise Local_United_Fan's argument:

1) I like to Self-aggrandise. Self-aggrandising is fun.
    2) I think my personal view point is right (no ****)
    2) Ostensibly I have intrinsic powers of divination
    3) To express my point here is an allegory involving a frog, scorpion and mutual trust.
    4) In my story the scorpion betrays frog because it's "IN MY NATURE TO BE A **** LOL"
    5) Extension of my story to encompass human relationships
    6) Finally my revised story is posted on message boards accompanied by a big supercillious smile and hedonistic amounts of masturbation.
    Perfectissimo :yes:

ReputationRep:
    On a literary level, your point is beyond crap.

I see where you're coming from though. I don't agree. Polygamy is not the way to go unless you're in a cult (then it's kind of cool).

ReputationRep:
    Your argument seems far too cynical and unrefined. I too believe co-dependency is bad, but it is up to the individual to make sure they are not with somebody because they are afraid of being alone. You should love a person for who they are, not for the way they make you feel, and you should love them even if an intimate relationship later becomes incompatible. When you allow love to consume you, it does not escalate into romanticism, but degenerates into obsession.

If you can love somebody like this, and be loved like this in return, then that makes you more virtuous than 99% of people in the world ... I do believe monogomy is still something to aspire to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Shorter argument:

You can't use a fable to argue anything. I could just as easily rewrite that exactly but change it so that the scorpion doesn't sting the frog, they get to the other side and its a wonderful story about what can be achieved with cooperation and trust. You can't make up a story to prove a point :p:.
    Brah I have not made this up, just google it...and the point still stands - this is just a way of illustrating it, not proving it.

ReputationRep:
    So cheating is within our nature? Why?

ReputationRep:
    Your argument failed as soon as you claimed you knew what human nature is. Claim for yourself only, everything else is retarded.

Humans are sometimes bloodthirsty for revenge. Thus it's OK to embrace this?
    You are fortunate that there's nothing wrong with polygamous relationships.

ReputationRep:
    I think I completely agree that having multiple partners and therefore spreading our genes is indeed in our genetic nature. But that does not mean it is in our moral nature as intelligent beings. If we didnt have feelings, compassion, guilt, then there would be no problem with 'cheating' etc in the first place.

Its only in out nature as long as we want it to be. We can easily surpress primal urges if we feel that the moral dynamic to the action/deed is more important. This is what happens with us.
    Isnt the fact that it feels wrong enough?
    Its probably in our nature to fight and even kill potential competitors for pertners/territory, doesnt make it right does it? :|

ReputationRep:
    This is hilarious, what the hell? >D

ReputationRep:
    What the fook was that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avéry)
    So cheating is within our nature? Why?
    Because we do it. And we think about it, and we fantasise about it. Polyamoury truly is a part of us, and we should embrace it, rather than fight it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scott202)
    What the fook was that
    I dunno, but it's like something a stoner would write. :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Necro Defain)
    Someone watches too much Star Trek Voyager :awesome:
    That was my first thought too :redface:

ReputationRep:
    I kind of agree with the OP, even though I am currently in a monogamous relationship (which I am happy with).

I wonder what would happen if we weren't all brought up to believe that monogamous relationships are the way to go, we learn it from an early age. Generally we are bought up in world were we are taught to believe monogamy is the way to go, its in our literature, films, on TV, religion. Most of us are bought up by parents in a monogamous relationship and they instill the belief in us that it is the beast way.

Surely the reason why people cheat is because of their nature, it is natural to want to spread your "genetic material" as much as possible and to want to have as many kids as possible, it is the probably the reason why we have evolved high sex drives. OK most of the time we just want sex for the fun/intimacy but the real reason for sex is reproduction.

It is simply a mechanism to ensure your genetic legacy survives.

Like I said before though, I am happy with my girlfriend and have no intention for cheating on her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzaa)
    Let me summarise Local_United_Fan's argument:

1) I like to Self-aggrandise. Self-aggrandising is fun.
    2) I think my personal view point is right (no ****)
    2) Ostensibly I have intrinsic powers of divination
    3) To express my point here is an allegory involving a frog, scorpion and mutual trust.
    4) In my story the scorpion betrays frog because it's "IN MY NATURE TO BE A **** LOL"
    5) Extension of my story to encompass human relationships
    6) Finally my revised story is posted on message boards accompanied by a big supercillious smile and hedonistic amounts of masturbation.
    :laugh: So true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    Yes... It's exactly like something a stoner would write... :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    Oh ffs its a reasonably well-known fable. A cursory glance over the thread's responses would have you shown you that.

If you do indeed possess the intellect of a gnat and can't comprehand the message, then feel free to piss off to perezhilton.com or whatever else is 'in' these days.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.