Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have realised why people cheat, and why monagamy is not a good idea Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Local_United_Fan)
    Oh ffs its a reasonably well-known fable. A cursory glance over the thread's responses would have you shown you that.

If you do indeed possess the intellect of a gnat and can't comprehand the message, then feel free to piss off to perezhilton.com or whatever else is 'in' these days.
    I only killed the granny because it was in my nature. The scorpion killed the frog because it was in h- WHAT, WHY ARE YOU ARRESTING ME? THE SC- LOOK, I PROMISE YOU, IT WAS THE SCORPION, HE SAID IT WAS OK. THE SCORPION, I TELL YOU. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Because we do it. And we think about it, and we fantasise about it. Polyamoury truly is a part of us, and we should embrace it, rather than fight it.
    Is it that hard to accept that monogamy might also be a nature as well?
    Rather egocentric to assume everybody is the same as you, wouldn't you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    I only killed the granny because it was in my nature. The scorpion killed the frog because it was in h- WHAT, WHY ARE YOU ARRESTING ME? THE SC- LOOK, I PROMISE YOU, IT WAS THE SCORPION, HE SAID IT WAS OK. THE SCORPION, I TELL YOU. :mmm:
    Wow. Just wow.

I seriously think you should not visit this thread again until you have comprehended the story.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're saying that's in our nature then why don't we all go build tools out of stones and hunt for food as well.

Other things drive behaviour apart from innate wants you know, it is 2009...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    Is it that hard to accept that monogamy might also be a nature as well?
    Rather egocentric to assume everybody is the same as you, wouldn't you think?
    No, because we are one species. Even ppl that don't cheat have fantasies, urges etc...they are just repressing them. I don't think its healthy, and its certainly not natural. How many monogamous relationships really work? Compared to the number that don't?

Surely you see this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammyP)
    I kind of agree with the OP, even though I am currently in a monogamous relationship (which I am happy with).

I wonder what would happen if we weren't all brought up to believe that monogamous relationships are the way to go, we learn it from an early age. Generally we are bought up in world were we are taught to believe monogamy is the way to go, its in our literature, films, on TV, religion. Most of us are bought up by parents in a monogamous relationship and they instill the belief in us that it is the beast way.

Surely the reason why people cheat is because of their nature, it is natural to want to spread your "genetic material" as much as possible and to want to have as many kids as possible, it is the probably the reason why we have evolved high sex drives. OK most of the time we just want sex for the fun/intimacy but the real reason for sex is reproduction.

It is simply a mechanism to ensure your genetic legacy survives.

Like I said before though, I am happy with my girlfriend and have no intention for cheating on her!
    That line there defeats the whole idea that it's our nature to reproduce. You can't claim that it's natural/nature to do so and then say that people do it for fun. The fact that people have sex for intimacy reasons is proof that life is not just about reproducing more. PS. I hate the whole we live to further our genes.

It's the rubbish argument people try to use against homosexual individuals. And it falls flat on it's face when people commit acts that appear to altrustic.

Monogamy is a result of two people falling for each other and being totally engulfed with each other. It's definitely a natural state. Everything else is about spreading the love equally between partners, which for most people is a pretty damn difficult thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    It's not natural to drive cars, fly on planes, wear shoes, eat with knives and forks either, but it seems to work too...

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Just wow.

I seriously think you should not visit this thread again until you have comprehended the story.
    I comprehend the story. It's just so vague that it could apply to anything. It doesn't prove cheating is in one's nature. Thus you could use it for murder, paedophilia or whatever. Look, it's ok, it's just in your nature! Like the story says! l2relevant. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    No, because we are one species. Even ppl that don't cheat have fantasies, urges etc...they are just repressing them. I don't think its healthy, and its certainly not natural. How many monogamous relationships really work? Compared to the number that don't?

Surely you see this?
    WTF?

This is just a load of psuedo-science rubbish. You failed to address the problems of monogamous animals existing and desire to have sex with others is not the same as wanting to be in a relationship with another. There's so much arrogance in assuming you know what everybody else wants, since if you bothered to read around. There are people who say that they don't look at other individuals when surrounded by a love one. But I assume you can claim that they repressed them enough so that they don't even realise it.

Totally unscientific claims imo.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, so the scorpion got raped :O

For the love of god, never become a children book writer!!

ReputationRep:
    Humans are primarily monogamous. There have been myriad studies to support this, from longitudinal cross-cultural studies on promiscuity to the comparison of testiscular size in primates (which provides evidence for the promiscuity of animal, the details of which I won't go into here).

For your sake, let's assume the opposite, that humans are intrinsically polygamous and that monogamy is by-product of social evolution. You would argue that this is a bad arrangement that goes against nature. Most people (even evolutionists) would argue the opposite: it is very economical for the species. If we were truely polygamous and men "fought" for women, then only a small proportion of men would get women (the most attractive/strongest in terms of evolutionary survival). The fact that you're posting on an internet forum probably means that you wouldn't be a member of that small proportion. So, yeah, I'd revise your argument lest you want to end up alone while Mr. Jock is screwing your now-ex missus.

ReputationRep:
    blah blah blah blah
    HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU HAVE TO POST THIS CRAP, STOP IT, NOBODY LISTENED THE LAST 1000 TIMES YOU POSTED THIS BS AND NOBODY IS GOING TO LISTEN NOW.

Your arguments have been denounced successfully many many many times with scientific evidence, just shut the hell up.

ReputationRep:
    dude how much weed did you smoke before or are you naturally ****** in the head ?

ReputationRep:
    Well, someones sad, lonely and never had a truly committed relationship

Personally i'm disgusted by people who use "human nature" as an excuse for wrongful activities. It's not "human nature", it's "animal nature", and if people act like animals, then they should expect to be treated with contempt, not pity.

This doesn't apply specifically to cheating, but also to thieving, killing, et cetera.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a metaphor for bum sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bulletproofmonk)
    Wait, so the scorpion got raped :O

For the love of god, never become a children book writer!!
    You meant to say the frog didn't you? Strong punchline.

And no, I didn't make it up.

(Original post by Darkness and Mist)
    HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU HAVE TO POST THIS CRAP, STOP IT, NOBODY LISTENED THE LAST 1000 TIMES YOU POSTED THIS BS AND NOBODY IS GOING TO LISTEN NOW.

Your arguments have been denounced successfully many many many times with scientific evidence, just shut the hell up.
    You ain't gotta bother replying mate. Just don't read the thread!!

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen polygamous relationships really don't end well most of the time, it ends up with at least one person driving themselves up the wall.

Natural or not, though I'm sure it's been proven anyway, monogamy for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    I only killed the granny because it was in my nature. The scorpion killed the frog because it was in h- WHAT, WHY ARE YOU ARRESTING ME? THE SC- LOOK, I PROMISE YOU, IT WAS THE SCORPION, HE SAID IT WAS OK. THE SCORPION, I TELL YOU. http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/mmm.gif
    http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/mmm.gif

ReputationRep:
    You ain't gotta bother replying mate. Just don't read the thread!!
    No because I dont like it when idiots try to convince people of things that are so scientifically incorrect and quite frankly idiotic.

People who say **** like this are usually either vrigins, emotionally stunted, or have only had sexual experiences that they had to pay for after.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.