Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have realised why people cheat, and why monagamy is not a good idea Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Local_United_Fan)
    I seriously doubt there's 50 other people my age in the country who understand male/female dynamics to the same extent that I do, I have a 45 year old ex-model partner who has ****** over 100 men and travelled the world many times over, who is one of the only people I have met that is on a par with me, in terms of the understanding I have
    50? That must mean you're some sort of mPUA then. You're sure 50?

ReputationRep:
    Monogamy is human nature. Yes, people get the desire to cheat, and often they do, but people also feel sexual jealousy and possessiveness over the person they care about - these emotions are avoided via monogamy, they aren't the by-product of it. I don't understand why people think monogamy isn't natural, it's been the way humans live for thousands of years and if it really went against our core instincts it wouldn't have survived this long. Just because it isn't fool proof doesn't mean it isn't what we're naturally inclined to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Local_United_Fan)
    Lol - strong miscomprehension.

No - the point is that people will do what is in their nature, regardless of the consequences - its just the natural way of things, hence, people cheat, hence, its not fundamentally 'wrong', hence, monogamous relationships ARE fundamentally wrong.
    And hence, also, why many people are monogamous. Just because forming pair-bonds doesn't come naturally to some people, it doesn't mean it doesn't for everyone. You're completely ignoring the biological basis of love and the evolutionary reasons for it. Monogamy isn't even exclusive to human beings, either, as it naturally occurs in other animals as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <3m&s)
    I don't understand why people think monogamy isn't natural, it's been the way humans live for thousands of years and if it really went against our core instincts it wouldn't have survived this long. Just because it isn't fool proof doesn't mean it isn't what we're naturally inclined to do.
    Exactly. I couldn't agree more.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.