Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which is worse: the guilty being unpunished, or an innocent being wronged? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which is worse: the guilty being unpunished, or an innocent being wronged?
    Guilty being unpunished?
    6.85%
    Innocent being wronged?
    93.15%

ReputationRep:
    Hope that made sense.

Consider a rape allegation, would it be worse if the man (let's assume it's a man) is guilty but is then let off by the court, due to lack of evidence or whatnot. Or if it's worse that an innocent man is named and shamed by the media, and subsequently then lose everything because 'there's no smoke without fire' - even if he's not convicted? It seems like the whole idea of 'innocent before proven guilty' doesn't apply anymore.

Which is worse?

Personally, I think it's disgusting that innocent people can be made victims of malicious allegations and lose their whole life as the result. So I think this is worse.

Edit: Poll added.

ReputationRep:
    The innocent being wronged is worse. The arguement for naming rape suspects is to encourage other victims to come forward (is there another?) which certaintly doesn't justify an innocent being publicly named as a rape suspect.

The guilty going unpunished.

While the innocent being wronged, provided it occurs rarely enough, does weaken the faith in the justice system (that you don't have to commit a crime to be punished), the guilty going unpunished is a far bigger sapper of confidence in a society.

ReputationRep:
    The innocent being wronged is the worst. I wouldn't stand living if I was put in for my life for something I did not do.

ReputationRep:
    I see locking up an innocent person as inherently worse; but letting a guilty person go free can be worse where there is a risk to the public - e.g. a rapist goes free and then rapes another women.

ReputationRep:
    Innocent being wronged..

ReputationRep:
    Australia beating England.

ReputationRep:
    Innocent being wronged. Even if the guity is punished, he/she'd be out ridiculasly fast nowadays.

The innocent going to jail is the cherry-on-top of the legal system we have...

ReputationRep:
    Innocent being wronged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    The guilty going unpunished.

While the innocent being wronged, provided it occurs rarely enough, does weaken the faith in the justice system (that you don't have to commit a crime to be punished), the guilty going unpunished is a far bigger sapper of confidence in a society.
    The problem is that there's a growing trend of people making false allegations to ruin someone's career/life, because it's all too easy, with hardly any repercussions. And the sad fact is that by doing that, many of the genuine cases are being called into question.

Innocent being wronged.

ReputationRep:
    The guilty going unpunished is very wrong, but on carma sake life will always have a way of ' what goes around comes around' . so in my view there both equally as bad, but I think the innocent being namned and shamned is worse, because your talking about an innocent person being victimised by the system and there life ruined.

The guilty will always be guilty and one way or another there crime will come back to haunt them, yes going unpunished is bad, but what your asking is : ' To punish the innocent or let the guilty go free' , which is worse ?? - personally I think punishing the innocent is worse. As the guilty will always be guilty.

The is another historical story which is famous.

Punish jesus or let the criminal Barabbas go free, this is a fine example.

ReputationRep:
    Innocent being wronged.. no doubt in my mind. I also find it hard to understand the reasoning behind people thinking its worse to let a guilty person go free (generally). I can understand when you are comparing a serial killer being let off and someone getting done for a minor offence, its obvious which is worse. But for normal/average/even most violent offences - i'd rather see the guilty go free than some innocent person's life being ruined.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the innocent being punished (esp. in the naming and shaming example that the OP gave) is worse. Suddenly, in a crime you have more than one person being a victim, or in the case of a false allegation, a victim is created. There was a teacher at our school and some girl didn't like him, and claimed that he had raped her, touched her etc. Then, a lot of other people came forward with the same thing. He was fired, can't teach any more etc. He was found innocent, but is left hated where we live and can't work anywhere round here! All this while she is gloating about how she ruined his life, like he ruined geography for her!!

ReputationRep:
    I saw this in a more philosophical light, but if we are discussing the statement in a legal sense I would change my mind and say the guilty being unpunished. In the rape example, just 3% of rape allegations are maliciously motivated, and yet this argument is used disproportionatly often. 1 in 20 rape allegations never results in a conviction. For this example, the greater wrong is the guilty man being unpunished and allowed to inflict damage upon another victim.

ReputationRep:
    I think a miscarriage of justice is far worse than a guilty party evading punishment.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly Innocent being wronged, Look at King Richard the third, Look how he got people killed for his own personal gain and greed, he got Hastings killed for saying something like "IF" and people agreed he was guilty lol, I know this is obviously a long time ago and we don't know the 100% truth in it.... But just imagine being sent to death for no reason at all, but because your in the way or because you "COMPLETE" the puzzle... or you where the only person seen in the place.

I'm not surprised only 1 person thinks guilty people unpunished is worse

ReputationRep:
    I would say that an innocent being wronged is worse. It's dilemnas like these that make the buddhist concept of karma seem awfully appealing...

ReputationRep:
    The Lord Chief Justice said that 'we can let a million guilty men go free, but never should an innocent man be convicted' (I paraphrase), and I certainly agree with him.

The foundation of the judicial system is hardly undermined when a guilty man goes free, it's just unfortunate that there was not enough evidence to convict. However, society couldn't be more wrong to lock-up an innocent man and deny his freedom; this would be far worse than unfortunate.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, if a person who was guilty is allowed to go free and then go on to recommit I think that is the worst thing that can happen. However if an innocent person is incorrectly wronged and had their name spalshed all over the media as well as spending time in jail, I think that is just as bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.