Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone do this question for me!!! please state the equation of motion use!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE

A ball is projected horizontally from the top of a cliff on the surface of the earth with a speed of 40 m/s.Assuming that there is no air resistance, what will its speed be 3 s later?

A 30 m/s

B 40 m/s

C 50 m/s

D 60 m/s

E 70 m/s
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You'll need to use a couple of formulae v = u + at and Pythagoras' Theorem.

The answer is 'None of the above' unless the question also asks you to round to the nearest whole number or use a value for g that is rounded to 1 s.f.!

ReputationRep:
    its a multiple choice question...i think it must be round up...the answer is C in the answer booklet by the way where should i use the Pythagoras equation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinx007)
    Please can someone do this question for me!!! please state the equation of motion use!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE

A ball is projected horizontally from the top of a cliff on the surface of the earth with a speed of 40 m/s.Assuming that there is no air resistance, what will its speed be 3 s later?

A 30 m/s

B 40 m/s

C 50 m/s

D 60 m/s

E 70 m/s
    Taking g as 9.81 I get the speed as 49.6601 m/s so my choice is C
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ok it is against the rules to give full answers but I think you may need it in this case.

When an object is projected and there is no air resistance, the x component stays the same (in this case it always travels at 40 m/s in the horizontal direction).

Now consider the y component. Gravity acts downward here (they want you to use 10 metres per second squared for a). The starting velocity (u) in that direction is zero m/s. You can get the final speed in that direction by using v = u + at so v = 0 + 10 x 3 = 30 m/s.

You now have a right angled triangle with 40 m/s in the x direction and 30 m/s in the negative y direction. The speed is the hypotenuse of this triangle (it is a 3,4,5 triangle) so the speed is 50 m/s.

ReputationRep:
    THANKS a lot i got the answer
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jinx007)
    THANKS a lot i got the answer
    good!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 21, 2009

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.