Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about getting one, but I'd like to hear the opinions of iphone owners before I do! If you can give any advice, that would be lovely

I keep my phones for at least 3/4 years at a go, but I would expect the iphone to last me at least 5 years if I'm going to be spending so much money. Is the quality good enough to last?

Is it a fair price for what you get?

Is the touch screen difficult/confusing/annoying for someone whose never had a touch screen before?

Will I be constantly worrying about it being stolen? (especially considering I'll be going to uni next year?)

Is the camera good?

Any reviews massively appreciated! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    why not go to a store and try it out, to see if you like the interface?

ReputationRep:
    I'll deifnitely be going in to a store to try it out, ask lots of questions etc. but I'd also like to ask iphone owners. I think you get more accurate reviews from owners than sales assistants and also probably know more as they're using it every day.

ReputationRep:
    While I don't have one, I've used my friends iPod touch quite a lot.

Personally, I think the actual price you pay for the phone on contract isn't too bad. Yeah its a fair bit, but that's to be expected with smartphones.
    However, I do think the tariffs O2 offer for the iPhone are rip offs.
    If your getting it PAYG, then its about the same price as any other smartphone.

The iPhone / iTouch interface is quite user friendly really. Doesn't take much to get used to it. UI's are one thing apple are really good at.

About it getting stolen, you take that risk with any piece of technology, be it an iPod, iPhone or any other smartphone really.

In terms of other high end phones, the camera isn't great, but its still decent. Its surprisingly good for its low pixel count anyway (I know pixels aren't everything before someone picks me up on that). Have a look at flickr - http://www.flickr.com/cameras/apple/iphone/.

Personally, I haven't gone for one for two reasons. The outrageous tariff rip off as I mentioned, and the fact I hate typing on a touchscreen.

edit - also, I doubt any phone will last 5 years tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afua12)
    I'm thinking about getting one, but I'd like to hear the opinions of iphone owners before I do! If you can give any advice, that would be lovely

I keep my phones for at least 3/4 years at a go, but I would expect the iphone to last me at least 5 years if I'm going to be spending so much money. Is the quality good enough to last?

Is the touch screen difficult/confusing/annoying for someone whose never had a touch screen before?

Will I be constantly worrying about it being stolen? (especially considering I'll be going to uni next year?)

Is the camera good?

Dont buy one if you worried your gonna loose it!

ReputationRep:
    O2 fail.

I have an original iPhone, and I quite like it. I might upgrade if my grades warrant it around the 27th.

But yes, it's a good phone, but by far not the best!

ReputationRep:
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    1) Is the quality good enough to last?
    maybe, if you treat it good then probs, but the batterylife will degenerate within a couple of years, ok it's good now, but a few years down the line...

haha no, not at all.

its not too bad, i prefer a physical keyboard, but now OS3 is out, you can text landcape which aint bad. also it's got a horrid auto correct which you cant turn off.
    just as much as any other expensive phone. just dont wave it about.
    Is the camera good?
    not really compared to any other phone on the market. If you get the 3G, its 2MP and 3MP on the 3Gs. both bad really.

so, overall i wouldnt say to get one. If you ask people with iPhones they will more then likely say how awesome it is and how its the best phone on the market, when it simply just isnt.

ReputationRep:
    I love my iPhone.
    Best phone I've ever had, and I used to get about 2 a year, so I have had phones to compare it with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTard)
    so, overall i wouldnt say to get one. If you ask people with iPhones they will more then likely say how awesome it is and how its the best phone on the market, when it simply just isnt.
    I completely agree. iPhone fans are almost as good at brainwashing as Apple's adverts if you don't know much about smartphones. I know a few people with iPhones, and none of them have been able to convince me that the iPhones are anything other than big but average smartphones - you can get much better value for money from a proper manufacturer.

ReputationRep:
    So I should go for something else? Which would you recommend? Do you know of any good review websites which can help me as a starting point?

ReputationRep:
    no.

it has a **** camera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTard)
    also it's got a horrid auto correct which you cant turn off.
    Yes you can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulkpull)
    Yes you can
    my bad, it seems you can

ReputationRep:

Is the camera good?

no no no no no.. majourly over rated... pm me if you want me details ahahaha

ReputationRep:
    Run into a phone shop to have a peep at it.

I got one for my sister as a birthday present, while unlocking it, I fell in love with its features. I mean it's such a sophisticated phone with shed loads of functions, it's unbelievable.

I couldn't personally have one although i'd like to, for the scarcely fact i'm always on the go so need something more practical. Texting without looking becomes an issue with iphone etc.. Where as on my Nokia it's not a problem

If you like the looks and functions - go for it!

ReputationRep:
    look at the Palm Pre it's meant to be coming out the in UK around christmas time its mean't to be the iPhone killer from all i've heard about it its seems to be darn good phone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoBx5O6KKz8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    and IMO if you like browsing the internet it's a great phone to use, because i find it so much easier to do things online with the iphone - from browsing to youtube/facebook with dedicated applications for them. also the sheer range of games and apps make it a useful general utility for me
    In no way is what your describing an iPhone only thing. Any smartphone is generally nice to browse the web. I got facebook and youtube applications on my Xperia (runs Windows Mobile), and use opera mobile for web browsing (which IMO is nearly as good as iPhone safari).

ReputationRep:
    I suggest getting one, one of the best phones on the market. It's very user friendly even if your a noob with apple products unlike other phones. Its worth the money

ReputationRep:
    So I should go for something else? Which would you recommend? Do you know of any good review websites which can help me as a starting point?
    The HTC Hero has just been released, but Orange, in their infinite Wisdom, don't offer unlimited internet.

I don't believe there is anything else on the market that'd beat the iPhone...yet.

There's a whole plethora of devices coming out in the next 6 months that'll put it to shame though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    I wouldn't know, not having personally used another smartphone. I'm not comparing it to other ones either - simply saying that I found it enjoyable to use one.
    That's the problem with most iPhone users. They describe everything the iPhone does as if it's the only phone that does those things, and those are the only things that a phone should do.

Personally, I'm waiting for this - the update to the Touch HD.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.