Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    I wouldn't know, not having personally used another smartphone. I'm not comparing it to other ones either - simply saying that I found it enjoyable to use one.
    I can't really say any more than Dark Fire has really.

Too many people have again been misguided by apple into thinking the iPhone is the only smartphone on the market.

While the iPhone does do some things well, it does nothing that isn't possible on other phones.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, a couple of questions: you dont see any advantages to the macintosh OS as opposed to the windows mobile OS in terms of stability or smoothness? And also, no advantages that the app store has in terms of it's size and variety of apps over offerings for other smartphones?

I'm asking these from a position of ignorance, never having used windows mobile or other smartphones
    Yeah, I'd agree that the iPhone OS is more stable and nicer to use than Windows Mobile (though some of the custom ROMs for Windows Mobile are awesome).

However, I'd disagree about the app store. I like being able to install anything I want, and not be limited to what apple approve.

In addition, with the iPhone your stuff with what you got. With Windows Mobile, you can customise it to hell and back.

The point I was making is that there is nothing the iPhone does, that you cannot do on Windows Mobile. Apple may do it a bit nicer, but it can still be done elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, a couple of questions: you dont see any advantages to the macintosh OS as opposed to the windows mobile OS in terms of stability or smoothness? And also, no advantages that the app store has in terms of it's size and variety of apps over offerings for other smartphones?

I'm asking these from a position of ignorance, never having used windows mobile or other smartphones
    If you limit Windows Mobile in the same ways that iPhone OS is limited, it's probably just as stable. The whole point of Windows Mobile is, as WelshBluebird said, it is not as limited out-of-the-box and you can do whatever you like with it. The most famous Windows-Mobile-related websites, such as xda-developers, are technically illegal because they take everything Microsoft and the WM manufacturers make and make their own custom ROMs. Both Microsoft and the manufacturers know about these websites, but they leave them alone - that's the difference between iPhone OS and Windows Mobile. Microsoft is all for developers, whereas Apple will ultimately significantly reduce their numbers with its app store (I was reading an interesting article about that somewhere, yesterday - I'll see if I can find it again).

Again, Windows Mobile can be made smooth, but it's not currently smooth out-of-the-box. WM 6.5+ should fix that...

I do appreciate that the app store is probably a very handy and easy way of finding and installing apps, but it's just another limitation that Apple is placing upon both developers and consumers. Conformists...
    The app store apparently has more apps, as has been demonstrated in Apple's conference thingys, than any mobile OS other than Windows Mobile at the moment. On rare occasions, I've heard iPhone users admitting that a lot of them are rubbish, but there are probably quite a few good apps in there too, and every mobile OS has some rubbish apps. So, in conclusion, iPhone OS has a pretty decent range of apps - it is not the best, but it's nowhere near the worst.

ReputationRep:
    I think i read a report about after 2-3 years the battery just wears out, until it's almost unusable.

but if you can afford it, it's a brilliant piece of kit

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a view on the Palm Pre? Im tempted between the iphone and the pre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ho0ps)
    Anyone got a view on the Palm Pre? Im tempted between the iphone and the pre.
    IMHO, it's a Touch Dual clone, with some average hardware and a new OS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afua12)
    I'm thinking about getting one, but I'd like to hear the opinions of iphone owners before I do! If you can give any advice, that would be lovely

I keep my phones for at least 3/4 years at a go, but I would expect the iphone to last me at least 5 years if I'm going to be spending so much money. Is the quality good enough to last?

Is it a fair price for what you get?

Is the touch screen difficult/confusing/annoying for someone whose never had a touch screen before?

Will I be constantly worrying about it being stolen? (especially considering I'll be going to uni next year?)

Is the camera good?

Any reviews massively appreciated! Thank you!
    To be honest, I'd agree with pow and say also that it's THE best phone on the market at the moment. The pure variation - from being simply a phone to an ocarina, which you'll find when you get one - beats any phone that I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Fire)
    IMHO, it's a Touch Dual clone, with some average hardware and a new OS.
    Don't be silly. YHO yeah, but that really is a silly comment.. It has iPhone 3Gs hardware and actually has accelerated video unlike the *cough*MSM7200*cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Don't be silly. YHO yeah, but that really is a silly comment.. It has iPhone 3Gs hardware and actually has accelerated video unlike the *cough*MSM7200*cough*
    Exactly. iPhone 3G S hardware. That's average. For example, it only has a HVGA screen - all decent WM devices have had at least VGA, and mostly WVGA for over a year now. Only a 3MPish camera - again, decent WM devices have had at least that, with autofocus (unlike the Pre, according to PDAdb) for over a year. The hardware simply isn't impressive.

And you should see my Diamond before abusing it. It has always worked great via software acceleration, and this enables hardware acceleration. No pre-installed stuff is particularly faster with hardware acceleration, but apps like this run much faster - 50 FPS rather than 0.15. You really should let me demo the Diamond and some of the apps around to you - xda-devs has far more than customised ROMs now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.