Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Law related work experience HELP Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Why's that, is it like one of the best law firms or something? I've got a reply from Oliver D'Sa already, need to phone up tomorrow, however i don't expect a reply from Cartwright and King, and Harvey Ingram i doubt it now what you've just said
    They're one of the best in Leicester, not quiiite the country it really doesnt matter WHO ya go to, just you go! at the same time, uni's know how hard it is to get W/E, so its not essential

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Oh I see. So other than writing about doing the work exp on the PS, we don't have to mention it elsewhere? Only my work exp wasnt really official it was through a friend not exactly a proper placement so I'm hoping they dont ask details....
    Unless you have an interview, they're not likely to get back to you asking you questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigz32)
    They're one of the best in Leicester, not quiiite the country it really doesnt matter WHO ya go to, just you go! at the same time, uni's know how hard it is to get W/E, so its not essential

I doubt i'll get in then but no worries Yeah i know, i'm just hopeful anywhere take me if not i suppose going to the court and sitting there could show some enthusiasm

ReputationRep:
    Yayy, phoned up Oliver D'Sa this morning, one weeks work experience from 10th August 9-5 i swear i haven't got up that early all holidays i'm going to be dropping like a stone.

ReputationRep:
    Yayy, phoned up Oliver D'Sa this morning, one weeks work experience from 10th August 9-5 i swear i haven't got up that early all holidays i'm going to be dropping like a stone.
    Heyy, good stuff! Seems like defence solicitors are more open then others. Hopefully they'll let you shadow a few solicitors down the the courts. You'll see how sh** Leicester Mags are. If you've done A Level Law, and studied a bit of the court system, you'll see the Mags here are nothing like what you've seen.

ReputationRep:
    Heyy, good stuff! Seems like defence solicitors are more open then others. Hopefully they'll let you shadow a few solicitors down the the courts. You'll see how sh** Leicester Mags are. If you've done A Level Law, and studied a bit of the court system, you'll see the Mags here are nothing like what you've seen.
    LOL, i've been advised not to take A Level Law so i haven't but i've started reading a few books/stuff on Law from Wikipedia other internet things Hopefully they will!

ReputationRep:
    Your only now looking for placements? Most people sort this out around Jan to April as most places are taken then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    Your only now looking for placements? Most people sort this out around Jan to April as most places are taken then.
    I got one and i only applied for the position on Monday Depends which Law Firms you ask really.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, i've been advised not to take A Level Law so i haven't but i've started reading a few books/stuff on Law from Wikipedia other internet things Hopefully they will!
    It really, really doesnt matter if you take law or not! The only two uni's I know of who don't like it is Manchester and LSE, thats two out of a gizzillion. As long as you take a variety of subjects, your fine, but essay-type subjects will help you.

ReputationRep:
    It's so hard to get legal work experience i tried last year. But a little early but no hope. One solicitor told to send in my CV anyway, Best of luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaroid13)
    Subscribing!
    Seeing as it is so hard to get a job, I might as well get some relevant work experience under my belt. I was such a fool, when we had to do 3 weeks of work experience in year 12 I was dead against the idea of entering law. But now I've realised that law is what I want to do. I have no idea how to go about getting some work experience either.
    lol i wish i would have asked for work experience before but i had no clue it was so essential for uni. And schools when they say that "they'll provide you with advice" bull.

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian gray)
    Apply to your local Courts.

I'm 16 with no previous law experience and I got placements at the Magistrates' Courts and the Crown Court in my local area!

They actually have people designated to organising work experience weekly, it's also a great insight into your potential future. You just need to seem enthusiastic and you're in.

Hope that was helpful.
    The problem is i need work experience during July or August. Short notice i know but i had no clue that it was so important to have work experience before and i need to put it on my personal statement which i have to fill in in september. Both the Magistrates and Crown courts are apparently 'booked up.' Damn them.

Thanx for advice tho.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    To find out, find the number of your local courts, phone one up asking for work experience - most likely they'll say no. If they do, ask for the numbers of some local law firms - they always have them. Thats what i did, then hone them asking for a weeks experience, they'll usually ask for say a CV and a letter explaining why you want to do it at their firm and what interests you in law.

Good luck.
    THANX! good advice :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabriela)
    where is that if i may ask? i am 16 too and looking for law related w/e. I have found some for October half-term, when i will be 17, in London. However, this is part of some scheme that the company is organizing and most of the people participating would be from colleges or unis.
    looking for W/E in London. Anywhere. Desperate. lol.
    Can i ask what scheme it is?

ReputationRep:
    When did you apply for the work experience at Oliver D'Sa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pegas92)
    When did you apply for the work experience at Oliver D'Sa?
    I sent of my CV/letter on Monday Morning, received a phonecall on Wednesday informing me of my place However i enquired about it months ago, in April, but was looking for a proper job through summer holidays not work experience unfortunately i couldn't get one so thought i'd try and get a Work Experience Placement

ReputationRep:
    I sent of my CV/letter on Monday Morning, received a phonecall on Wednesday informing me of my place However i enquired about it months ago, in April, but was looking for a proper job through summer holidays not work experience unfortunately i couldn't get one so thought i'd try and get a Work Experience Placement
    Thanx :o:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any firms that take a LOTTA people on for W.E during the year? Reckon i may have a better chance there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx :o:
    First i suggest phoning up the company in question and asking if they'd take you on - Thats what i did. Google "[add your city] solicitors" then pick some random ones and begin phoning It took me like 5Solicitors until i found a company that would actually take on people for Work Experience at my age - i'm 16 usually they only take 17+

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any firms that take a LOTTA people on for W.E during the year? Reckon i may have a better chance there.
    Where do you live, like what city?
    That might help.

Guys, if you can't find work experience in a Law Firm, you could always just go down to the courts and sit in on cases - Universities know how hard it is to gain work experience in the law field but think sitting in on court cases and reading books related to law also show enthusiasm.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.