Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Law related work experience HELP Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pegas92)
    lol i wish i would have asked for work experience before but i had no clue it was so essential for uni. And schools when they say that "they'll provide you with advice" bull.

:eek:
    well, i dont think it was that essential - but maybe i was lucky
    i got into all my choices of warwick, kings college london, bham and aston with no law experience and a below the national average LNAT score.

didn't your school have a compulsary work experience programme?

ReputationRep:
    It's not essential to do Law work Experience, however it does help i suppose by showing your enthusiasm of Law
    However Universities know how hard it is to get such a placement, so a good ps, extra curriculars, grades and interview will do the trick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian gray)
    Apply to your local Courts.

I'm 16 with no previous law experience and I got placements at the Magistrates' Courts and the Crown Court in my local area!

They actually have people designated to organising work experience weekly, it's also a great insight into your potential future. You just need to seem enthusiastic and you're in.

Hope that was helpful.
    Heyy

How was your work experience at your local Crown Court?! Sounds interesting

I got work experience with a lawyer, starting tomorrow. I'm really worried, as I don't actually know that much about law/types of law/ how court cases work etc. o_O, I just want to know whether I should pursue it as a career.

Also, I believe the case I'm watching tomorrow is a murder case...LOL.
    If anyone has had work experience or shadowed a barrister, what kind of tasks did you have to do? I hope not just making countless cups of tea and coffee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ice_dragoness274)
    Heyy

How was your work experience at your local Crown Court?! Sounds interesting

I got work experience with a lawyer, starting tomorrow. I'm really worried, as I don't actually know that much about law/types of law/ how court cases work etc. o_O, I just want to know whether I should pursue it as a career.

Also, I believe the case I'm watching tomorrow is a murder case...LOL.
    If anyone has had work experience or shadowed a barrister, what kind of tasks did you have to do? I hope not just making countless cups of tea and coffee.
    Yes, it was .
    Don't worry, they assume you're completely new to it all and explain everything thoroughly. Most likely you'll sit next to the Lawyer in Court and watch him present his case. In the Crown Court, I watched a cases ranging from rape to assault; it's a great insight into Law.

In the office you will probably do various office jobs: photocopying, filing, phone-calls etc. I only made tea once in the entire week, so don't worry. I'm sure you'll enjoy it .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Where do you live, like what city?
    That might help.

Guys, if you can't find work experience in a Law Firm, you could always just go down to the courts and sit in on cases - Universities know how hard it is to gain work experience in the law field but think sitting in on court cases and reading books related to law also show enthusiasm.
    I'll try googling the solicitors like you said. Thanx
    Its London btw. Hell to get short notice work experience here lol.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaroid13)
    well, i dont think it was that essential - but maybe i was lucky
    i got into all my choices of warwick, kings college london, bham and aston with no law experience and a below the national average LNAT score.

didn't your school have a compulsary work experience programme?
    I guess its not essential but i went to some open days and the barrister there was like 'in a situation where we recieve 500 applications with top grades and well written personal statements the only thing that we can choose between is whose had work experience and who hasn't'. But its good to hear that not always. Thanx.

ReputationRep:
    looking for W/E in London. Anywhere. Desperate. lol.
    Can i ask what scheme it is?
    ive no idea what it is called. i only got into it through one of my w/e organisers' friends. PM me if you want me to tell you any details from the email i got from them. You might still be bale to get a place. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I'm a third year law student, willing to take people on for work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david17)
    Could you give me further details on this please. thanx

And i noticed that your location was Bournemouth/Nottingham but i live in London

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to post here, telling anyone who hasn't secured work experience yet not to lose hope. I've spent the last 2-3 weeks trying to organise some work experience, and today I finally managed to sort some out How did I do it? I contacted pretty much every firm in the local area until I found one that would take me. It's not easy, and it is time consuming, but it's worth it in the end. Good luck people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david17)

I have just graduated with my LLB law degree. How is it possible that you are taking people on for work experience please? I am based in Nottingham, any details would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost 18 and i'm Looking for law related work experience for July or August this year at any firms, courts, shadowing barristers or lawyers etc.

Tried to contact many myself so far via letters, emails and calling them but so far no luck.

If anyone has any advice or contacts i would be very grateful.

:woo:
    im 13 and looking for the same thing 😉

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.