Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Something that a girl had said who is starting on the same course as me this year worried me a little.

She'd done the course last year but because of having a baby, and the course changing, she's going to repeat it. Apparently last year, the bursarys were late and were not paid until November.

Personally, if this happened I probably wouldn't be able to afford to stay at university.. Single parent mother & I don't have a LOT of money saved.

Would the university help in any way if this were to happen?

ReputationRep:
    If you apply late, and don't send you're info off on time, YES they will be late. If not it should come on time, my bursary tends to come on the wednesday instead of the friday, v.important to be careful with the 5 week months tho

Im surprised you're still going for the Mh course.. :confused: sure thi is the right decision?

ReputationRep:
    If you submitted your forms at the correct time then you should receive your first payment within 10 days of starting the course. I can't think of anyone who had trouble with their bursaries on my course.

The university should have a fund to help but you will also have your student loan so you won't be penniless.

ReputationRep:
    I had no problems with my bursary. I submitted my form on time.

First payment is usually halfway between the September and October payment dates, something like about 10 days after starting as jingle says, and is those two payments in one go.

From then on it's bang on time - 3rd Friday of every month, but that means sometimes you wait 5 weeks a few times a year.

ReputationRep:
    I submitted my bursary application nearly a month late due to one thing and another. I got a letter through the post today informing me of my award and the payment dates. The letter I got states:

"New students can expect to receive their first bursary payment within 10 working days of us receiving confirmation of enrolment from the HEI. This will be for 2 months of bursary. The remaining payments will be paid on the 3rd Friday of each month, commencing in the 3rd month of training..."

Payment dates:
    18 September 2009
    16 October 2009
    20 November 2009
    18 December 2009
    And into 2010...

I enrol on September 28th, so I will get a double payment sometime in mid October. That actually suits me better as I will be working right up to starting the course, so don't need to bursary particularly for September, so would rather have a double payment.

After all the horror stories about the NHS bursaries that I have read on this forum, I have to say that I have had a very positive experience with them.

ReputationRep:
    Have to say that I had no problem with the bursary in general, that was regular and unchanging.

Getting the money back for DSAs took longer however (an average of 7 months), although that may have changed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.